Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: AR15's

Boolit Bub

AR15's

Can I load a cast or jacketed bullet to around 1200-1500 fps (trying to avoid the gas check on cast) and still cycle the action of an AR15? I'm looking for a load for 100yd practice, offhand practice and maybe rabbit hunting (if I can keep from ruining all the meat!)

Boolit Grand Master

Probably not without some modification to the gas cycling system. However it might be worth a try with a heavy cast bullet in the 60 - 70 gr range and a slow burning powder in the 4350 - RL22 range. That would probably also require a barrel twist of 9" or faster BTW.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Has anyone tried a Lee 55 grain Bantor bullet out of a fast twist AR (Colt 1:7)?
    Just for paper punching and does not have to cycle the action.

Boolit Master
    I would hazard a guess that you could do it with a two-position gas block. It is what a lot of guys are doing here for the 300 Blackout.

Rich

Boolit Bub
    What's a two position gas block? The rifle I have is a model 1 sales upper with a 24"? ER shaw bull barrel, on a aero precision lower with standard lpk and a2 stock, 1:9" twist. With a redfield revolution 2-7x scope on top.

If it's much work or extra modifications then I think I'll pass on the idea. Thought it might be fun for rabbit hunting but full power loads might be a bit much for that!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sven556 View Post
    What's a two position gas block? The rifle I have is a model 1 sales upper with a 24"? ER shaw bull barrel, on a aero precision lower with standard lpk and a2 stock, 1:9" twist. With a redfield revolution 2-7x scope on top.

If it's much work or extra modifications then I think I'll pass on the idea. Thought it might be fun for rabbit hunting but full power loads might be a bit much for that!
    This may be what you are looking for, origionally cooked up for supressor work but with the velocities your talking about while not subsonic it might work. Drop them a line.

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/switchblock/
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master
    I have shot a lot of cast out of my ar-15. I am using RCBS 55 grain gas checked water quenched WW. This is mainly for paper punching and I am driving them as fast as I could without loosing accuracy. I have never chronographed them but the load does cycle the action reliably. LLA is my lube. They work GREAT for punching paper and seem to perform well on armadillos and skunks. The boolits actually fragment and work better on varmints than you would think. For rabbits, just head shoot. If your accuracy is there, no worries. At first I was worried about the leading of the gas system issue, but these loads are actually pretty clean. I now only break down the rifle about every 500 rounds. Wich, unfortunately takes me about a year to shoot when I break down my shooting over my other weapons. My accuracy is around an inch at 100 yards wich is poco good for me.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

with no gas check you'll typically be stuck at 1200 fps for accuracy. Just my opinion but I don't think that's enough energy to cycle the weight of the action even with a cut down recoil spring. I'd put a single shot sled in one of your magazines and just run it single shot like the guys do with he long VLD bullet 600 yard line loads.

I think 22 caliber gas checks are under or around $20 a thousand from Blamer. You could purchase ten thousand gas checks for the price of a Switchblock accessory.