Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Lachmiller 12G Press

Lachmiller 12G Press

So I bought this press and dies for $10. I broke down the press, sandblasted, and painted it. I stripped the rust and blue off the dies, bought some crystal drain cleaner, and old steel enamel pot, and hot blued the dies. They turned out OK for a first try. I don't anticipate doing it again. All in all, I like the press. I'm not sure how practical a single stage shotshell press is, but it's cool and only cost $10.

On another note, does anyone have instructions on how to adjust the wad seating/crimping die?

Boolit Buddy
    wow that looks nice. the black looks nice. u blued just using drain cleaner? would draino or other do the same?

yup. Just drain cleaner. Liquid drain cleaner can't do it. Got my info here:
    Linky

A plain carbon steel or enamel pot, pour in drain cleaner crystals, mix with water, heat to 280-300 degrees F, and cook your parts. I used this drain cleaner and it worked.

I would highly recommend NOT doing this indoors, on your BBQ (Ask me how I know) or near anything you want to use in your future. Honestly it kinda freaked me out. I would want to be better prepared next time.

Banned
    I have the instructions though they are very worn. I can scan a copy for you.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    I have the instructions though they are very worn. I can scan a copy for you.
    Ken
    That'd be great.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Boolit Master
    Looks great. I bet you could adapt that to load metallic as well.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Pressman,
    Could I possibly get a copy of those instructions as well?

Tim
    suttonti@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    Looks great. I bet you could adapt that to load metallic as well.
    Yeah, I actually bought 3 presses at $10 each, they have inserts for 7/8-14.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Banned
    House product, I need an email addy to send the instructions. It is a large file so I cannot post a link on this board.

FYI, the Lachmiller 100 press, powder measure and bench primer tool came out in 1952, a full year and some months before the Herter's Model 3. It uses a Herter's type shellholder.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    House product, I need an email addy to send the instructions. It is a large file so I cannot post a link on this board.

FYI, the Lachmiller 100 press, powder measure and bench primer tool came out in 1952, a full year and some months before the Herter's Model 3. It uses a Herter's type shellholder.

Ken
    I bought a bunch of shell holders and I have a model 3 as well. Having lots of single stage presses bolted down is nice. My email is eric@thehousebmx.com

Thanks Pressman.

nevermind, I thought they were instructions for the hot blue process.
    Paul Graham
    Clean-um, Prep-um, Pack-um, Load-um, Bang-um

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    You guys might want to try slow rust bluing instead! Safer,better looking and a harder more tougher blue! Easy for the home shop and you can use a regular pot on your smelting stove!

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    You guys might want to try slow rust bluing instead! Safer,better looking and a harder more tougher blue! Easy for the home shop and you can use a regular pot on your smelting stove!
    Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Boolit Master

Oustanding Job!!! The press and die look brand new!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I got my info from books I have. There are u-tube clips if you look. Just type "slow rust blue" in Google and you'll be reading for hours! If you have any questions I'll be happy to help. Process is dead simple and you probably have most of what you need all ready!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

There is a post about doing it on here somewhere, gunsmithing or special projects I think.

Boolit Mold
    I learned my lesson about boiling metal parts on the kitchen stove, when I boiled the metal parts of my 1851 Navy .44 in soap and water, to give them a good cleaning. Incredible smell, ferocious headache, and my chemist friend got very excited, and rattled off all the ( nasty ) compounds formed by the process. I didn't understand most of the chemistry, but the ' Do Not Do This Again ' part was quite clear.