Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Youtube Boolit Lube Recipe. Fact or Fiction

Boolit Buddy

Question Youtube Boolit Lube Recipe. Fact or Fiction

I just found this recipe for bullit lube on youtube, and wanted to run it by some boolit masters for approval.
    All you need is
    1 pound parrafin wax
    1 pound beeswax
    1 pound vaseline
    1 Tbsp STP motor oil treatment
    2 crayons.

use double boiler to melt all ingredients together.

Is this ligit.

Banned

Yes. Probably very close to Saeco green, but I imagine softer due to the vaseline. Crayons are only for color, therefore optional. This will probably flow through a lubrisizer without aid of a heater, and hold up into the medium bore/medium velocity rifle arena with good accuracy.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but for 357 Mag and the like are gas checks necessary? I've never thought of GCing a pistol boolit, but I'm new to this world of casting.

I agree with Gearnasher's comments.

I have mixed up and used a whole lot of an almost identical lube. I used a little more STP, a little less vaseline-- but for general pistol/carbine/rifle use, that lube recipe will work perfectly fine as listed. It does make a soft lube that runs easily through a room-temp lubrisizer without heat. Works great-- no leading at all if you're doing everything else right.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but for 357 Mag and the like are gas checks necessary? I've never thought of GCing a pistol boolit, but I'm new to this world of casting.
    The answer is. . .

It depends.

Depends on the boolit. If it is a GC (base) boolit and you want to load and shoot at .357 Magnum velocities, I personally would gas-check it.

I have several .358 boolit molds that are not GC molds and I load them up to moderate .357 Magnum velocities and get no leading. One of the boolits is my beloved Lee TL158SWC and I tumble-lube it, load it up to around 1200/1250fps and it does fine. I use a slightly harder boolit--WW alloy with some extra tin in the mix (for perfect fillout on the microbands), water-dropped, then (tumble) lubed, sized, and lubed again all in the same 24-hour period.

However, I do not enjoy shooting a steady diet of full-house magnum velocity rounds. If I were to do so, though, I believe I would invest in a GC boolit mold simply for the added flexibility it would give me with load development and preference.

Boolit Master
    Interesting. When geargnasher compared 357 to rifles or some such (apparently he edited his post before I posted), I just had to ask.

I was actually thinking about converting to 45 from 9mm just to avoid GCing, but apparently it shouldn't be a problem going non-GC, particularly if I go 147gr.

[/hijack]

saw the you-tube last year!!! it looks interesting to say the least!

Boolit Master

Interesting. When geargnasher compared 357 to rifles or some such (apparently he edited his post before I posted), I just had to ask.

I was actually thinking about converting to 45 from 9mm just to avoid GCing, but apparently it shouldn't be a problem going non-GC, particularly if I go 147gr.

[/hijack]
    You don't really need GC's in either the 9MM or the .357. Loading PB Keith or other SWC's to 1300 out of handguns is no problem, excellent accuracy and no leading. I regularly run the same bullets (actually the same loads) out of leverguns at 1500-1600 fps againg with no leading and good accuracy. The place where they would be helpful in the .357 would be in the Silhouette game with the heavy bullets and max velocities at extream ranges or hunting with softer alloys for expansion. The gas check in that situation makes it easier to attain the accuracy levels required for that game.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned

[/hijack]
    Sorry to throw you off, I had expounded needlessly on the OP's question, cut out the paragraph with applications and other lubes. I shoot .357 and .44 magnum quit a bit with NO gc, I feel that gcs kind of defeat the purpose of the Lead boolit unless you're shooting small-bore rifle at screaming velocities. If everything is right, you won't need gcs for anything under 1400 fps, maybe higher depending on a gillion factors. I can't see any need to gc a .45 unless you're talking Casull pressures and up.

Gear

Boolit Bub
    For what it's worth. I tried this lube on a mild .38 spl load over the weekend. Pistol is a Ruger GP100 .357 with a 6" barrel. Bullets used were Lee 140g SWC cast from AC WW. Bullets sized to .358 after pan lubing.
    IT worked great for me.
    This was a test / starter load of 3.7g of HP-38, CCI SPP, in mixed .38spl brass. No chrono but very mild recoil. All shooting offhand. My 15 year old daughter tried this load after I did two cylinders. She fired off the remaining 88. As I couldn't get her to give it back... At 25 ft, 3 shots were printing at about an inch with her shooting. Yes, the listol weighs almost as much as she does.
    No visible leading in barrel after 100 rounds, nice lube star on muzzle.

Boolit Master
    Years ago, the NRA mag. had a lube listed that was the same except for the Beeswax and the crayons.

I think the addition of the beeswax would help make the lube a bit firmer then the one list in the Rifleman. Which should be good.

Seems to work well in handguns.

After a time, I began to add a product call "ER" ( Energy Release ) which may or may not have some positive effects. It should, but would likely take much testing to prove one way or the other.

Check "E.R." out on the net for a run down and results of tests run at an Idaho university.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    Just checked the net, and you will need to type in "Energy Release" in your search.

Plenty of info available.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master

[/hijack]
    Allow me to add an unrelated remembrance to your hijack: until just a couple of years ago there was an older vendor who attended every National Gun Day show in Louisville and always brought a whole bunch of home cast bullets with him. Among his offerings was a RN .356 gas checked bullet which he sold sized, lubed and checked for $4/100! I have no idea where he was getting his gas checks, but how he was making any kind of profit on them was beyond me.

Needless to say, once I discovered him I made it a habit to buy as many of them as I could possibly carry at every show. I still have a few hundred left and I use them almost entirely for 357 Sig and my Marlin Camp Carbine. The gas check really helps to hold down leading in the longer barrel of the carbine and the higher pressures of the 357.

I haven't seen the guy in several years but I still see the fellow he partnered with at their tables. I don't want to be rude and ask if he is still with us, but I fear he is not.