Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Grab a box of bullets and off to range

Boolit Buddy

Grab a box of bullets and off to range

I thought I'd try to give a different meaning to grabbing a box of bullets and heading to the range.

I had ask here this past spring about wadcutter bullets and was informed that the Lee with real grease grooves were as good as most and better than many. So in good faith, I got the Lee with six holes and cast a few bullets out of ww/flashing lead and a bit of tin.

I got sidetracked by life on the farm this summer but got back to them recently. I sized them .358 with only the bottom lube groove filled with White Label BAC. A mid-range load of Bullseye proved to be quite accurate out of my S&W Model's 10 and 15.

Nothing earth shattering here, just a Thank You for all the information ya'll were willing to share. Looking forward to next weekend and maybe a little range time.

Boolit Buddy
    I love the picture of the smith with those 38s ! That is quiet a box
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

What a nice picture that is.

I like that Gang Mold too, all of mine are single cavity.

Moderator Emeritus

That's a lot of ammo! I made a mistake one time by loading up a bunch of brass like that, with an untested load! Boy what a let down when I went to shoot it and it was horrible in my gun! Lesson learned the hard way. Glad your is working well for you, you say a midrange bullseye load? 3gr or there abouts?
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master

Yessir you've got the right idea! Let's see if I've got the mix right. One pound of Bullseye, about 51 lbs of lead and maybe 2300 primers, oh and a box to carry them in!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy

Thanks ya'll. Trey, the tested load was 3 gr., the Dillon SDB went to 3.1 on the first turn of the adjustment, I tried a few of those and there was no difference. A plug for Dillon, after 3200+ it was still at 3.1 gr.. I've tried a few cylinders full when I changed lots of powder and primer and everything was still the same. I have a couple more .38's that I haven't tried these in but they way they shoot, I'm confident that it's going to be a good solid basic load that pretty much everything will shoot well. At least I have faith that it will!

Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    What a nice picture that is.

I like that Gang Mold too, all of mine are single cavity.
    You really need to get yourself ahold of a six banger. And boxes like Butler Ford's will soon be common place for ya.

Super Moderator

...............Ah yes, the 6 banger Lee's

Hey Butler Ford where do ya buy those nifty ammo boxes?

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    Sublime, how sublime those photos truly are.

The cast wadcutter and the 38 Special cartridge are truly a marriage made in heaven.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Buckshot queried, "Hey Butler Ford where do ya buy those nifty ammo boxes?"

I just about back snorted a mouth full of coffee all over the key board! Those boxes are a rarity among the unwashed, eh?

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Boxes ?..... boxes !?! We don' neeed no steeenkin' boxes !!!

I remember packing a whole lotta rounds to the range just that way . Then I found I could pack a thousand flush seated wadcutters into a thirty caliber can . I felt I was doing my part to "save the trees" If I remember right a fifty caliber can will take about fifteen or sixteen hundred and I never did try to fill a forty mike/mike can .

I just love those old Smith revolvers , is it just the light or is that an old four screw gun ? I can see a lot of fun at the range about to happen with the combo you have there .

Jack

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Boxes ?..... boxes !?! We don' neeed no steeenkin' boxes !!!

I remember packing a whole lotta rounds to the range just that way . Then I found I could pack a thousand flush seated wadcutters into a thirty caliber can . I felt I was doing my part to "save the trees" If I remember right a fifty caliber can will take about fifteen or sixteen hundred and I never did try to fill a forty mike/mike can .

I just love those old Smith revolvers , is it just the light or is that an old four screw gun ? I can see a lot of fun at the range about to happen with the combo you have there .

Jack
    Not sure how many rounds you'd get in a 40MM can, but you would need some mechanical help to load it in the truck.

I do know that a 20mm can will hold almost 1800 rounds of linked 7.62mm, if you take the cardboard out. (two man lift). The factory sealed cans with 1500 rounds weighed 122 pounds.

Sure wish I'd got more of the various ammo cans when the price was right.

Robert

Boolit Buddy

It exceds the weight limit for the flat rate box by 10# so at about 228 gr per loaded round should be about 2500 in the box.

Jack, I wish it were!! It's a -4, relativly new model just well used.

Boolit Grand Master

Butler Ford;
    It is obvious that you are my kind of man!!

I have a six cavity H&G mold for the #251 dbl ended w/c. Everyone should have at least one .38 Special and a W/C multi-cavity mold.

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master
    BF
    that second picture would make a hellofa nice x-mas present
    could you imagine opening a gift to find that inside ?????

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    BF
    that second picture would make a hellofa nice x-mas present
    could you imagine opening a gift to find that inside ?????
    If that's a hint, you're gonna hafta sit in a different Santa's lap!

Boolit Master

A good .38 with accurate, mild loads is a real good way to relax and have fun. It's also a real good gun/load to introduce new shooters to the sport.

I've got guns from .22 to .45, mousefarts to magnums, but the one I always, and some time only, take with me to the range is an old blued skinny barrel 4" M10.

I think there's a lot of fun in your future.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Buckshot queried, "Hey Butler Ford where do ya buy those nifty ammo boxes?"

I just about back snorted a mouth full of coffee all over the key board! Those boxes are a rarity among the unwashed, eh?
    .............What? I mean heck, take boxes like that and wrap a couple turns of duct tape up around the top and bottom and you could prolly sell a bunch.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

What alloy, if any, are you using for the WC boolit?
    I'm looking for a 25-50 yard plinking load outa 38 Spls and 357s

I bought the 6 banger mold last spring, just hate to waste alloy if lead will do!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy

TC I think I'm like most, I use the most of what I have the most of. In my case that's wheel weights, at least for now. Next is scrap flashing and plumbing lead so 8-9 lbs of wheel weights and a matching amount of pure lead with about a half pound of tin gives me a full pot. I feel certain that a softer alloy would do as well.