RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 holster help

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the Askins Avenger from Bianchi, I wore one for a several years and it can be locked in place with a belt loop.

There is a lot to what Bruce Drake said also, I wish I had saved a few of the leather holsters when my various ships and shore commands switched over to the M9. By the way if you try to use a Biachi UM84 holster for a 1911 without modifying it the gun will fall out. To fix this poke a hole about 1/4" above where the welt comes together and use a small ziptie or piece of wire.

Robert

Boolit Master
    If your dealing with a Leather holster, and - just my opinion - not the hoky plastic/cordura junk, just reform the holster to fit what you have.

Unless your holster is one which had steel between the layers, Soak it in HOT water, oil your firearm and wrap in plastic wrap, insert the gun into the holster and then start working the leather into forming to the shape of your current gun.

Allow to dry and then grease it up, lots of grease, and enjoy.

I like to use a hair dryer on the leather, but be careful not to damage the leather by over heating.

If you over heat, the grease won't soak in and the leather will be brittle as a cracker.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master

I like Blade-tec kydex, and I've used their belt slide and IWB without any complaints. You also won't be disappointed with leather from Kramer. I had a couple of their belt scabbards and the only downside was the cost.

Whatever holster you get, remember that it takes a good gun belt to hold it up. You don't have to go overboard, but you need a belt that is stiff enough that the rig doesn't flop around.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    I wish more people felt like you. I have 2, new jay-pee leather flap holsters that fit a 1911 and I haven't been able to get anyone interested in them.

In Remembrance

Galco thumb break has been top notch for me for 15 years. I like the added safety the thumb break provides.

Banned

I like the hybrid iwb holsters for ccw carry.

Boolit Master

You are going to end up with a drawer full of holsters before you find the ones you like.
    My favorites are:
    GI duty belt
    Fobus plastic (Low dollar, top choice)
    Bianchi 100 professional (concealment)
    Bianchi X-15 shoulder
    Last edited by Shooter; 08-13-2010 at 08:45 AM.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

fobus makes some really good inexpensive paddle holsters that go over the belt and pants and have a red plastic of some king that keep them secure, about 20 bucks iirc
    http://www.fobusholster.com/catalog/...ters-16-1.html
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Moderator Emeritus

I use a Wilson Combat Practical TA1 Holster for my 1911. Mine is a shark skin, they make it in horsehide, leather, and aligator. It has never slid around on my belt. It caries the grip high, and close to your body. It conceals well with a T shirt over it, even better with a light coat or sport jacket. It has an adjustable retention screw that really does what it's supposed to do.

Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    I carry either of a 4" or 5" kimber in the Milt Sparks Versa max II. Now, this is an IWB holster, but it is so comfortable and fast to draw from that I use the same rig for carrry, IDPA and hunting.
    +1 on Milt Sparks.
    I use a Summer Special II IWB with a full size Kimber TLE and have nothing but good to say about the holster. Quality workmanship! When I bought mine it was priced roughly the same as Bianchi or other mass production holsters.
    Brownell's has Summer Specials for just under $100 ready to ship.

I would like to aquire a Versa Max II but the 6 month wait and steep price have kept me away. Regardless, the Summer Special II is a fine holster and when matched with a QUALITY belt I can carry my 39 oz steel 1911 all day long and forget it's there.

By the way, Sparks makes OWB holsters as well.