Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: cleaning tips

Boolit Buddy

cleaning tips

just made up my first loads for my old 44 Russian revolver. Before i shoot them I'd appreciate tips on proper cleaning tips for revolver after the shoot. Do you just clean it like you would clean after shooting corrosive ammo?thanks.

Boolit Bub

I shoot BP in all my CAS guns.. Best for cleaning is hot soapy water..Dawn or Murphys oil soap both work fine... Give em a good cleaning.. Use compressed air to dry good, then any light oil works fine for storage..

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I use Moose Milk, Ballistol and water 7 to 1 is recommended, I use it a bit stronger. Lots of different ways, but basically must contain water. I douse everything using a spray bottle, clean up with a bore snake. If you don't have access to compressed air, use a kettle of boiling water (safely, don't burn yourself). The hot water makes the metal dry out quickly. Follow up straight away with oil, the hot gun will allow it to run freely. Most of the guys I shoot with use clear Windex or Aldi baby wipes. I like the the moose milk approach because it is a lubricant as well.

I also have used Birchwood Casey BP cleaner, pink watery liquid, seems to do a good job if you want a Yankee product that can be squirted straight out of the bottle.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    You can do it with just the Moose milk. You don't have to have or do anything else. I at one time also used the straight Ballistol to wipe the gun down before storage. I now use EEZOX for that job. It is a sythenic type of lube that did better on a saltwater test than Ballistol. I think the test was on the OPen Range forum by John Boy. He exposed some steel wool to the sea by placing it on the open rocks on the beach. That is a strong test for any product. EEZOX beat out some of my favorites that I had been using for a long time. I live in Louisiana and we go to the coast quite often. I am not saying that what Four Fingers posted is all wrong but he is in Aussie land and I am in Cajun Country. Use Windex with vinegar for your shotgun if you shoot BP shotgun and use plastic wads. The plastic snake skin will come out of the bbl in one piece. I mix my Moosemilk with the 7-1 mix and don't be afraid to spray your gun all over and until it is dripping wet. The Ballistol is good for the wood and all. Later
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I haven't tried loading bp shotshells with plastic wads (I should do I suppose, I have thousands of AA wads downstairs. A lot of other guys do here, most seem to float the plastic frangers out of the barrel with a flush of boiling water.

With the Moosemilk I pretty much drown the gun, works a treat (it's a shame it smells so bad, we call it essence of stink bug here).

I must keep my eyes open for EEZOX, thst would be good for swabbing barrels when spotlighting, the night air gets in after firing and rusts barrels reallllllllllll quick.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    also dump the cases in hot soapy water. and rinse them with hot water. the b-p will eat them up too.

Good one Bob, I forgot about that! When i shoot cowboy I dump them in a plastic peach jar which has a squirt of wash up liquid and is third full of water. Everytime I add cases I give it a shake (after putting the lid back on, ask me why I mentioned this At the end of the day I fill it up with water slosh it around, rinse, dump, more soap, slosh, rinse, etc. The BL will eat em' up if you are not careful.

Black Powder 100%

The best thing for the cases is a rotary tumbler with ceramic and a few squirts of Dawn with OXY. After I shoot a SASS match I have a two gallon bucket in the back of my truck with about one gal of water. In that water is the following
    2oz od Dawn with Oxy
    2oz of Lemon Pine Sol
    2oz of Lemon juice concentrate(Can be store brand does not have to the more expensive)ith just enough water to cover the media and add a few small squirts of that Dawn. If you put too much water it will not work. Your brass will look like it just came off the shelf.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'd appreciate tips on proper cleaning tips for revolver after the shoot.
    Bear, we all have our different ways to clean BP firearms after the matches. Here's mine:
    * Put a small squirt of Dawn into the water that is in a hand steam cleaner. Then steam clean your bores and receivers. Then run some dry patches down the bores. For shotguns, I put rubber plugs in the bores, steam them and leave the hot water to sit in the bores for awhile. My shotgun patches are a wad of newspaper. Then wipe the outside of the guns down with Eezox and also run an Eezox patch down the bores.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Who sells this Eezox?

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Black Powder 100%

Midway is where I have purchased mine. I buy the 4oz cans but they also have a handy 1 1/2 oz bottle. I just bought one of those for my range box and refill it from the 4 oz cans. It is all synthetic and does not leave a sticky residue. We had a female pard that was shooting an original Colt Lightning and it jammed on her. She sprayed the heck out of it with Ballistol to no avail. I gave her my EEZOX to use and she got to going. I heard her telling her husband"I want some of that stuff before the next match". She now has her own can. I have seen some local stores of late with it on the shelf.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Who sells this Eezox?
    Bob, here is where I buy my Eezox ... http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/pl-eezox.html
    I buy it by the quart!

Here's the 1st test I did of Eezox ... http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...p?topic=5457.0
    And here is the test I did comparing Eezox to Fluid Film ... http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...p?topic=6291.0
    Regards
    John