Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Casting with 2 molds

Boolit Buddy

Casting with 2 molds

I tried casting with 2 molds this morning, first time for me. This is the result of 2 hours. It was about 94 degrees today but I had a ceiling fan and a box fan blowing directly on me, wasn't too bad. I think I could have cast more than this but it took me a while to develop a rhythm. Those are RCBS 22-55gr-SP and Lyman 31141.

Boolit Master

I generally cast with 4 molds at once. Two will be Lee 2 cav and 2 Lyman 2 cav. Sometimes I change the sequence between the 4 to do several cycles with one and then switch off to another. I'm using a Lee 20 lb bottom pour pot.

Btw... do you have a traveling salvation show?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmP43qsAXvk

Dutch

Boolit Master

Purty picture of all them boolits! I used 2 twenty pound pots and 2 molds when I first started casting and could empty both pots in a couple of hours using 2 four cavity molds!

Boolit Buddy

I am using a 10 lb pot which slows me down some. I have developed a habit of a almost constant feed of small ingots so I can still go fairly quickly. I do see a 20 pounder in my future.

My salvation show does not travel a lot, it is mostly stationary.
    Malcolm

In Remebrance

I do it sometimes. One thing to be sure of- never cast similar boolits at the same time. I cast a 30 cal 180 FN and a 311 cal 180 FN. Lots of them too. Spent a long time with the mic that afternoon.

It doesn't work with all moulds. Some require running hotter than others and the time spent sitting is enough to cause issues.

Boolit Master
    Boolits look nice. Seems you had a pretty good session.
    Makes me want to start casting some again, but first I have to find the time to load the ones I have casted.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

Boolit Master
    I've never tried it with two molds. Maybe someday I should. That's the best bullet for my 30-30 lever.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    I generally cast with 4 molds at once. Two will be Lee 2 cav and 2 Lyman 2 cav. Sometimes I change the sequence between the 4 to do several cycles with one and then switch off to another. I'm using a Lee 20 lb bottom pour pot.

Btw... do you have a traveling salvation show?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmP43qsAXvk

Dutch
    That's impressive. I've tried two at once before but never mastered the rhythm, mainly because one was a two-cav Lyman and the other was a two-cavity Lee. The Lyman ran too hot and the Lee ran too cold, by the time I culled the rejects I could have done much better using one at a time. My hat's off to you who can chew gum and walk a straight line!

Gear

Boolit Master

I usually run 2-6 cavity LEE moulds. I don't like to use 2 different moulds as I spend too much time sorting.

All of my molds are Lee 2 cavity, I've tried using three at a time but it's easy to get out of a rhythm. Two molds seem to work pretty good though.

I often run two diff molds, but almost always iron ones. I do a little diff technique, I run one mold until it gets too hot then switch until the other one gets hot. I leave bullets in the coolinh mold so it doesn't cool too quickly. Seems to work for me & sorting is not an issue as I drop on two diff padded surfaces.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    My favorite bullet for my 44-40's is the Lyman 427098 which is the original bullet designed for that caliber. They knew what they were doing in 1873 at that Winchester plant. The design is only offered in 2 cavity molds. I have three molds going at the same time. The way I work it so that everything stays close in temps is to use my hot plate. I take the first mold and after filling it I dump it and refill it. I put it on the hotplate and move to the next and so on. I put all three molds on the hot plate to reach casting temp before starting. Using this method all molds are in the same temp zone and work very well with out overheating any one mold.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Just tried this the other night for the first time. I ran a Lee 6-up .45 230 and a Lyman 2-up .45 200. I alternated between the two, resting the unused mold against the furnace (Lee 4-20) and it worked out great. The molds stayed hot enough, but never got so hot that I had to wait very long for the sprue to set. I may make this the way I cast regularly.

GsT

In Remembrance

I cast with two moulds this week end, Lee 460-340 RD and Lee457-340. I found it easiest to separate them by looking at the nose meplat. I had cast some Lee 457-249 and Lee 476-400 a week before and they were harder to sort visually.

Boolit Grand Master
    I often cast with two moulds at the same time. Most of the time, the moulds are of the same block material and same cavity count. This seems to preserve the rhythmic sequence more steadily. The castings are dropped into two distinct piles.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I drop my boolits into metal paint roller pans with a towel lining placed side by side. Boolits roll towads the bottom when they are dropped. By using two pans, it is easy to keep them separated.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

I cast with two molds usually and drop them into two piles so I can keep them separate, even tho they are never that similar.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator