Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Why are you throwning lubed boolits into your melter?

Boolit Master

Why are you throwning lubed boolits into your melter?

I keep seeing threads discussing flux where someone says something like "once in a while I throw a lubed boolit into my pot". I wondered why someone would waste a perfectly good lubed boolit just to add flux.

I figured it out while loading recently and dropping three to the floor before I was done. I put them with my flux, since I figure the boolit is probably damaged after hitting the cement floor.

The other thing that my clumsy fingers did was fumble a case with 22.5 gr of powder all over the other 49 in the block. I dumped them all out and started over.

Boolit Master

That's usually when I throw them back, when they hit the floor. In my case a wood floor, but there still is dust, dirt and sometimes a bit of gravel. No need to send that down a good barrel. It could also be that boolits don't perform as expected, too hard or soft, oversize, undersize, so they get thrown back..Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Yep, that & pulling any bullets from defective rounds. Pulled lead bullets are always going to show some damage.

Boolit Bub
    Same here... if they hit the floor they are recycled. Also if it is a particular bullet that I no longer use.

Boolit Master

Yap the best boolit of the whole lot, fresh cast or lubed, is the one that hits the floor(Murphy)
    They go back in the pot, I save the lubed ones for when it is time to flux.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Yep, that & pulling any bullets from defective rounds. Pulled lead bullets are always going to show some damage.
    Too much chance of carrying powder under the surface of the melt for me. Pulled boolits go in a cold pot.

Boolit Master
    Too much chance of carrying powder under the surface of the melt for me. Pulled boolits go in a cold pot
    I've had a lot of powder stuck to the wax, and lowered it into the melt in a ladle and all it did was sputter. Maybe different resluts for different powder?

I have been known to buy dusty boxes of cast bullets from gun stores and use them as raw lead for my own casting. Sometimes at a good discount if they were dusty enough. It didn't matter if they were for calibers I don't shoot, because they were not for shooting, just casting. I thought of them as eensy-weensy ingots.

These days, those dusty boxes of cheap bullets are long gone.

I have a bunch of commercial cast boolits that aren't sized to fit my guns. ( Did not know about slugging then) Don't use them anymore. I always throw a hand full of them in every time I cast, Sure makes fluxing easier.

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    I keep seeing threads discussing flux where someone says something like "once in a while I throw a lubed boolit into my pot". I wondered why someone would waste a perfectly good lubed boolit just to add flux.

I figured it out while loading recently and dropping three to the floor before I was done. I put them with my flux, since I figure the boolit is probably damaged after hitting the cement floor.

The other thing that my clumsy fingers did was fumble a case with 22.5 gr of powder all over the other 49 in the block. I dumped them all out and started over.
    Are you sure that your not using MY old fingers!

I use the lubed bullits that hit the floor to as flux too!
    Last edited by wistlepig1; 05-12-2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Grand Master

I've had a lot of powder stuck to the wax, and lowered it into the melt in a ladle and all it did was sputter. Maybe different resluts for different powder?
    Lowering it in, the powder flashes off on the surface. Drop it in and the powder will be below the surface when it lights. I can't see much difference between that and a drop of water...

Boolit Master

Been there. I have a rubber exercise mat (the kind that goes under the exercise machine, not the kind you do judo on) in front of my reloading bench, but hard concrete in front of my sizing bench. That mat has saved as many boolits as the concrete floor has dented. Just like toast always landing butter-side down, boolits always seem to land on one side of their base.

Right after I got my first sizer I had one 45/70 boolit right near broke the handle off. It was both oversized and extra hard compared to the rest. The bands were sheared down over the grooves. It went back into the pot on the next go-round. I still fondly remember that as my first lubed sacrifice, lo these many months later.

-HF