MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Omaha, Nebraska. Walgreens. Two places to avoid.

Amen. Seems they hated everybody in this case (as usual). Not right IMHO.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Buddy
    MAN I am Glad I live in SOUTH ALABAMA.Our laws still favor the Honest hard working Folks.Mike
    If I tell you a Rooster can pull a plow You better hook him up

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry O View Post
    The State Patrol said that since he had a ticket for carrying concealed illegally, he would NEVER be allowed to get a concealed carry license in the future.

A couple of days later, a collection was taken up and money given to the individual to buy a new gun to replace the one stolen by the police. When he went to register it (Omaha has had handgun registration since the 1880's) he was refused since he had a ticket outstanding. That meant that he could not pick up the gun. Still unarmed.

Just yesterday, the City Attorney said that he could not prove the gun was completely concealed so he was going to drop the ticket. No word yet on if or when he will get his original gun back or be allowed to get a new one. No retraction from the State Patrol, either.

Remember this when someone tells you the Police are on your side. They are not.
    Oh yeah. . . like I said, two places I avoid--Omaha and Walgreens. I try to avoid all places that are gun-unfriendly.

On my annual flights to South Dakota/North Dakota, Omaha would be a convenient place to land and rest and buy fuel, have some lunch. Never have been able to bring myself to do it. Damned sure won't now.

Let's see: Crime was committed, police nowhere to be found. Police arrive on scene after shooting stops. Good guy given a ticket on the spot for saving lives and the store from being robbed.

Gives ME a warm fuzzy for the Omaha cops. I wonder if they were taught in Indoctrination School, er excuse me, the academy, that they could always issue that misdemeanor citation after the fact and after a proper investigation?

Then the State law enforcement geniuses come out and say that the good guy is hosed forever in Nebraska because basically he saved some lives in a manner the State Police didn't like--but again, where the hell were THEY? I'll tell you where: Writing tickets on the highway to people traveling ten miles over the speed limit or driving with a headlight out or a malfunctioning signal light. Granted, these are all grievous offenses committed by hardened felons-waiting-to-be, offenders who are just waiting to wreak havoc and ruin upon society. The worst of the worst when it comes to lawbreakers.

Meanwhile in Omaha, gang-bangers are selling drugs with impunity, burglarizing houses, stealing cars, committing assaults and rapes, trading in illegal weapons, and at the local China-mart Walgreens, they are trying to rob a store. . .

And the police write Harry McCullough a ticket for basically saving his own ass.

If I were McCullough, I'd pack my bags and move out of Omaha, and now Nebraska (thanks to the State Police now mandating that he'll never get a concealed carry permit), and move somewhere that is still relatively free.

This whole thing just disgusts the living hell out of me.

Boolit Grand Master

Seems Recluse doesn't understand good old fashioned cash cow squeezing. That's their job, squeeze all the cash cows they can during their shift. That's why they write BS laws such as, turn your wipers on in the day time when your headlights are off . . . Pay the government. Don't have your seat belt on . . . Pay the government. Change lanes on a completely empty street without using your turn signal . . . Pay the government. Many, many more such examples.

Government has a very simple philosophy on money. You have some? Cough it up, they want it. Don't have any? Get some, they want it.

Busting criminals pays nothing, squeezing cash cows pays hundreds of millions a year in this state alone.

See how simple it all is?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Law Enforcement has a bad REP (Revenue Enhancement Program) put on 'em by government.
    Traffic enforcement, ostensibly for safety, is lately a game of technicalities.
    Deviate from precision driving, pay the fine.
    Takes their time away from helping us vs bad guys. What's worse, me driving 7mph over on the freeway,
    or perp in my neighborhood busting a door in?

Gotta hand it to 'em, I've been warned more than once here over the years for exceeding the limit by almost twice.
    Driving safely, just too fast. Nice guys.

Also 2 nights ago I heard the usual "VROOOOM!" coming around the curve.
    This time I also heard "WOOP WOOP!" Alright! I drive in neighborhoods like a boat in a "no wake" zone, not SUPER slow but with respect for others.

Sorry, back on topic. What would McCullah feel like if he didn't stop the bad guy and a clerk or customer got killed?
    No duty to protect them but he COULD stop the bad guy and he did.
    Walgreens wimped out to protect some kind of Politically Correct image.
    They should give this guy free print cartridges for life, or whatever he was in there for.

Still awake?
    I have avoided 7-11 since the '70s when I used their restroom and saw the poster for employees
    stating the 7-11 policy on robbery compliance.
    A freind now works for them (by necessity, 2nd job). She would be a more valuable asset, and a lot safer while working, if they did not prohibit her from carrying her legally concealed pistol.

Boolit Master
    > "They should give this guy free print cartridges for life, or whatever he was in there for."

Actually, he was in there to buy some ice cream they had on sale.

From the media reports, he is a high school graduate who has been working minimum wage jobs (or slightly higher) since he got out of school. He got an open carry permit to allow him to be an armed security guard at higher wages. That is when he bought the gun (it has not been said specifically, but it has been implied that the Glock was his only gun). Seems with the recession, there are not as many places that have stuff that has to be guarded, so he is no longer working as a guard, but he still carries his gun. He is now working some kind of office job with a hospital. They offered him free counseling if he wanted.

Boolit Master
    > "If you don't have C/C and get stopped you get cited for misdemeanor carrying concealed weapon. The difference here is that CCW charge is subject to the mandatory affirmative defence. This means that if you show grounds for carrying the Judge will dismiss the charges."

> "The Nebraska legislature just passed LB 817 which eliminates the Omaha registration law."

A couple of clarifications and corrections. I was once told by a Deputy City Attorney that the the "mandatory affirmative defense" in carrying a gun is only for "connected" people. It is not for the riff-raff -- like you and me. Since the decision is left entirely up to the Judge, it cannot be challenged higher up.

LB817 does not eliminate Omaha registration law. Prior to LB817, the City of Omaha had required anyone with a CCW permit to also have the gun they were carrying registered with the Police Dept. This included people who did not live in the City. If the gun was not registered, it was confiscated. What LB817 says is that the City cannot do that any more. Anyone living outside of the City does not have to register their gun and the gun cannot be confiscated for that reason. Those inside the City still have to register their guns.

Personal note: I once had a S&W Model 63 that I was disappointed in. So I sold it to someone 3 states away. I took it to a local FFL and had it shipped to his FFL, so everything was legal. I kept copies of everything. Then I went to the Police Dept to have my registration of that gun erased. They refused. The fact that I had copies of letter, FFL's etc, meant nothing. I was told that the NEW owner would have to register the gun with them before they would remove it from my name. I told them that he was 3 states away and he wasn't going to drive up here to do that. They said, tough. It is in your name until he does.

The problem here is that the City Police, the County Police, and the State Patrol all fight each other (turf battles) and none of them like gunowners.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Government has a very simple philosophy on money. You have some? Cough it up, they want it. Don't have any? Get some, they want it.
    Yep, that pretty much covers it.
    I think it was Ronald Reagan who said the governments philosophy was this in a nutshell:
    "If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it."
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

who only owns one gun?

nobody i know

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by bohokii View Post
    who only owns one gun?

nobody i know
    There was a time in which I only owned one gun--it was all I could afford.

I know numerous people who only own one gun.

Boolit Man
    I have a nephew who lives in Omaha and works with the police dept. I sent him this piece about Walgreens and here is hie reply.

The only good thing about this story (other than the ****head that help up the place is dead) is they city dropped the charges against the guy on Tuesday for not having a CCW permit. Turns out they couldn't prove his weapon was actually concealed. In the great state of Nebraska you can walk around anywhere with a gun on your side

Boolit Master
    > "In the great state of Nebraska you can walk around anywhere with a gun on your side"

That may be what he said, but that is not what the Omaha police allow. Maybe it is correct in the rest of Nebraska, but I once asked an Omaha policeman about open carry (this was back when there was no concealed carry license). He said that if anyone complained, they would confiscate it for "brandishing a weapon". Even if nobody complained, they would probably do it anyway. BTW, the individual in the Walgreens shooting had a permit from the Omaha police dept for open carry. How many other places do you know that you actually have to get a permit for open carry?

Like I said, the police here are anti-gunowner and have been so as long as I can remember (and I remember when the 1968 GCA came in and meant that I could no longer order guns through the mail).

Boolit Master

Stoped at the local pharmacy to pick up some meds. Chatting with the owner, I ask if he had heard about this story. As discussing it he told me, if someone is robbing me, feel free to shoot as many times as nessary. also I would get meds for a year with no co-pay. His statement ypu and your gun are welcome here any time.

Gotta love small town owner operated bisunesses.

Boolit Master
    www.governor.nebraska./gov/mail/govmail.htm/

(2) The city of Omaha cannot require a CHP holder to register their handguns. This means they cannot require registration when you purchase in the city of Omaha, and they cannot require a CHP holder to register their handgun in order to carry it in the city.

Boolit Master

Thank goodness for arizona & texas

HI,
    IT IS ALMOST ENOUGH REASON TO MOVE THERE!
    Seems like those 2 states still support personal freedom & liberity (they are not the same thing).
    But it may be that Idaho, Whyoming,& Utah may be starting to follow thier lead. AT LEAST I HOPE SO.
    I guess I need to add:
    walgreens,
    pizza hut
    to the list with Hewert Packerd.

Maybe we should start a sticky listing anti gun & anti hunting groups.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hydraulic View Post
    Sever Not Found.

You should try the Nebraska Legislative website and read the actual text. I like this governor (we can thank him for the current CCW license), but the bill must have been changed after he wrote this. It is not in the passed bill.

I am thinking of buying a Charter Arms Bulldog from a nearby pawn shop. Maybe I should take the statement you posted in with me and see if I can buy it without registration. That would be interesting.

(sigh) All you gotta do is move to Vermont.

Permits? PERMITS?

We don't need no steenking permits.

(It's true.)

Boolit Master
    Harry: I probably copied it wrong. I took it from the Nebraska Concealed Carry site; www.ccwne.com.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WallyM3 View Post
    (sigh) All you gotta do is move to Vermont.

Permits? PERMITS?

We don't need no steenking permits.

(It's true.)
    We don't need no permits either! (Well . . . in less than 90 days!) and most of the state has no snow either!

I remember when I lived in Springfield, VT I asked the local PD about me carring a gun, they said they wanted it out in the open, and for me to have a hunting licence! (Even though it was a Glock 19 with 16 rounds, and hunting auto's could only have 5 shots!) I also don't miss their taxes . . .

Lots of land here in AZ for gun owners . . . yesterday I walked a round Tucson with my SP101 in a IWB holster, I only got three comments on my gun, and all three were positive!
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just have to say that I find it disturbing that ONE incident makes everyone decide Omaha, Nebraska in general, and Walgreens are all anti-gun and horrible places to be.

I find Omaha to be a nice area to live. Not a real high crime area, good schools, and pretty damn nice people. Out politics aren't too bad either. Are there things that could be better? Yes- but they could be lots worse too.

I happen to work for Walgreens and can only say i will be happy when all this **** dies down. I have no issues with how the company handled the situation. Is a company ever going to praise a guy for stopping a robbery by killing the guy? No. For the company this was a lose lose situation. We can get blasted by the pro-gun or anti-gun crowd. It's better to let it die down and go away.

How different would the discussion be had the guy killed or wounded a customer? Thank God he didn't but we can only wonder how different it would be.

Go ahead and flame away- I no longer give a damn what most of you have to say anyway. we see complaints that civility on this site is a dying thing- and this whole string shows why. We need to get rid of this "my way or the hiway" ****.