RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for New 1911 pistol suggestions.

Boolit Man

Looking for New 1911 pistol suggestions.

I am in the market for a new model 1911 in 45 ACP. I know there are a lot of you guys who have their favorites as well as those "I would never buy that again". Seeing that this is going to be my first I thought that I could get some help with what you like and what you don't like. I would like to keep the pricing around $1200.00 or less, and made in USA would be a must. Thanks for your help.

Alan

Boolit Master
    Kimber
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

A 1969 or earler Colt Goverment model.

Boolit Master
    What features do you require?

Boolit Bub
    dan wesson verry tight and accurate. I own kimbers that shoot well to but dan wesson is better and no mim parts.

Boolit Man
    Here's what I am thinking. I live in Wisconsin one of the most backward States there is. This November I can foresee a Republican Governor being elected to our state. The only reason we don't have concealed carry here is that our wonderful Democratic Governor vetoed it! It passed everything except his veto. So hoping that the conceal carry will become law soon, I would like a 1911 to use for that purpose. It doesn't have to be extremely light weight but something that would holster nicely and be reliable. I wanted to go with the 45 acp because I am all set up for it.

Thanks
    Alan

Boolit Master

Alan, Dan Wesson makes a nice bobtail "commander" size 1911. I'll say this though, if I was going to buy a carry gun today, it would be one of these 5 shot 357 revolvers. I have a Walther ppks in .380, no less and I don't enjoy carrying that. Maybe a better holster would help. Anyway I am a big fan of 1911's, own 2 of them and thinking about a third. But for carrying purposes, I would look for something smaller. that's just me. enjoy Mike

Boolit Master
    For something to carry a lot and shoot a little take a look at a used Star PD.

25OZ empty, adjustable sights and condition one carry nice!

I've had several over the years, currently have a Firestar in 9mm, because it has an ambi safety on it.

Since the PD's aren't ambi I sell them after I get bored with them. Saw a couple at the Costa Mesa show in Feb going for 300 to 325 if I remember right.

Boolit Man
    I have been thinking about a Kimber. Have you got any model suggestions?

Thanks,
    Alan

Boolit Grand Master

Dan Wesson for sure. They are fully equal to the $2500-3000 custom pistols for
    less than half. Unfortunately the prices are creeping up. I spoke with some friends at
    CZ recently and they are unable increase production due to the very high skill set
    required of the gunsmiths that hand fit each gun. So they are and will remain hard to
    find, but jewels of the 1911 class. They can only make about 4000 per year and they
    are almost all sold out (to dealers) already, about 1/3 of the way into the year.

My Pointman 7 will shoot my best handloads into 1" at 25 yds and is 100% reliable.

Treat yourself to one of the finest out there for less than half of the price of the competition.
    Hint, Kimber is NOT their competition - Wilson, Baer, Novak and such are the competition.

I have many 1911s, Colts, Kimbers, Gov't, etc. NONE is even remotely in the same workmanship
    class as the DW. I love my Kimber Series One Custom, several Gold Cups and my normal
    carry gun is a Ltwt Stainless Colt Commander, but as good as they all are, the DW is a much
    nicer gun.

Oh - and I own a pair of Wilson custom 1911s, so I actually have something to directly compare.
    Last edited by MtGun44; 05-01-2010 at 11:17 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

in your price range you could get some nice springfield armory 1911s and smith and wesson as well.

I don't have any 1911s that high end, but I do have a colt LW commander that carries wonderfully and shoots well. you might consider commander sized guns in whichever make you choose.

Boolit Master

I sure like the Springfied Lightweight Operator.: http://springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=33

Your next search will be for the correct holster to carry your selected machine in. I like the Cross Breed Holster.
    EW

Boolit Grand Master

I have two 1911 custom guns (built up from scratch) and a Kimber CDP Ultra II.

If I were buying a new 1911, it would be a Kimber (YOU pick the model).

FWIW
    Dale53

Banned

for that price id look at these. a kimber gold match. a colt gold cup national match or a springfield trp. Im not a big fan of springfields but the trps are good guns. If you want the best bang for the buck in that price range pick up a sti trojan. they can be had for a couple hundred less then the above choises. Ive seen them for a 1000-1100. Anyone of those guns would be something to be proud of. If 90 percent of your shooting is going to be target shooting and your going to be fooling with differnt cast bullets make sure like the above pistols that your get one with ajustable sights. For a stickly defense gun there not needed but ive been know to carry my ajustable sighted 1911s on occasion and it hasnt hurt anyting yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't go too small in size. The extra compact 1911's have a tendency for reliability issues, for reasons easily explained. The physical limitations of slide travel, for one thing, increase the likelihood of malfunctions. The whole point of carrying a gun is for it to work when you need it, so don't sell reliability for compactness.....it's not a good trade.

For carry, my own choice would be a Colt Commander style pistol (4.25"), by Colt, or whoever can do this design type effectively; don't go below 4 inches in length. If you think you can carry a full sized 5 inch comfortably, more power to you.

Also, visit 1911.org's Magazine section and read the stickies (in the forum pages) before you drink the Kool-Aid concerning magazines.
    Last edited by 35remington; 05-02-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Boolit Mold
    The Taurus PT1911 is a nice pistol at a reasonable price.

Boolit Man
    Right now I am kind of leaning towards the Dan Wesson V-Bob. Thanks MtGun44 I probably would have never checked them out. It's more than I intended to spend but I don't buy too many guns and this will be my first 1911.

Alan

Boolit Master
    and then there is para ord...in the usa now.

and weight is your friend...the ease of shooting a 1911 is partially the weight of the gun vs the slow push of a recoil.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    I carried a full sized and a Commander sized 1911 for years and stopped becasue they weighed too much and I had lots of pain at the end of the day. Today I carry a 2 inch 357 mag revolver as it is much more carry friendly as a CCW. I recently bought a Taurus PT145 on a whim to test it out as a carry gun. I have not shot it enough yet to be confident in it to carry it for defense. Another 1000 rounds or so and I might change my mind after all a 10 shot 22 oz 45 auto is a hard act to follow.

Half the fun with the 1911's is building one to fit your needs, and since this is your fist one, I would look at one of the cheaper stock ones out there. Even if it is a used model, it wont matter by the time your done modding it.

As a matter of fact, I picked up a used stock colt combat commander light weight that had a few scratches from the previous owner using it as a carry weapon for 350$. The guy had it on consignment at one of the local gun shops I go to.

I plan on updating the sights to a 3 dot system and adding a full length recoil guide system to it. On top of that, the usual trigger clean up and beaver tail safety leaver change.

There is enough info on how to make these changes on the web to help you preform these changes. The changes you are uncomfortable in doing, you can always get a gunsmith to do.