WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Leupold VariX111 1.5-4 Reticles.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Leupold VariX111 1.5-4 Reticles.

Does anyone know if I can get a my reticle replaced with a post and crosshair on this scope?

I like that style (or the German No4) for close cover in the Victorian Alps. It gets wet, dark and the cover is close. This would be used on my 444Marlin as a mid winter creek creeping outfit. You tend to lose the thinner crosshairs when the brown hits the fan.

I hope I'm in the right forum. It will be sittign atop of a factory rifle anyways
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

In Remembrance

That`s the same reticule I have in my Leupold scope and same power range I have on my .416 Taylor. I agree with the fast targeting in dismal areas of shooting. I heard at one time you can get a reticule change done at the factory. Can`t hurt to waste a phone call to find out.Robert

I'll check out the importer first (mind you I have never got a positive response from an importer in Australia, I generally do my own warranty work as it is much simpler and quicker but this is a bit different.

It seems you guys in the states get pretty good service, but you have to catch and kill your own here.

If it wrks out I will buy a second for my 416 Rigby Ruger No1.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned

might be cheaper in the long run for you to just sell your scope over there and purchase a new one with the right redicle. NIce thing is leupold upgraded the varix III line to the vxIII and they have better optics or you could go with a vxII 1x4 which has the same optics as your older vari x III and save a few bucks.

Boolit Buddy
    To further Lloyd's suggestion, Leupold has a custom shop that will provide the reticle you seek.

https://customshop.leupold.com/

You can design the scope online, and they even price it out for you as you change the features. I have used this service, and highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by rob45 View Post
    To further Lloyd's suggestion, Leupold has a custom shop that will provide the reticle you seek.

https://customshop.leupold.com/

You can design the scope online, and they even price it out for you as you change the features. I have used this service, and highly recommend it.
    What a PITA, I went to the site, designed the scope, VX3, 3.5-10x 50, German No4 reticle, matte finish, no bells and whistles. When I went to add it to the cart, it kept telling me to 'select a customisation from below. I tried everything, it don't want my money!

The site also only lets you order a new scope, no mentin of service, etc. That Burris I saw the other day is looking good.

Boolit Master

Talking

How about a Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6x42mm with the German #4. I have three of them with the regular reticule and was looking for the German #4 my self.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    What a PITA, I went to the site, designed the scope, VX3, 3.5-10x 50, German No4 reticle, matte finish, no bells and whistles. When I went to add it to the cart, it kept telling me to 'select a customisation from below. I tried everything, it don't want my money!

The site also only lets you order a new scope, no mentin of service, etc. That Burris I saw the other day is looking good.
    FFOD,

I am on the phone with Leupold RIGHT NOW.
    I am on hold, and as soon as I get a tech on the phone, I will ask what the problem is.

Will post when I get an answer for you.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rob45 View Post
    FFOD,

I am on the phone with Leupold RIGHT NOW.
    I am on hold, and as soon as I get a tech on the phone, I will ask what the problem is.

Will post when I get an answer for you.
    OK. Got some answers for you!

Both the tech and myself cannot figure out why you're having the difficulties. He said that if you are getting a "select customization from below", you may not be filling out the order completely.
    I went to the custom shop link and designed a scope exactly as you mentioned, and it let me add to cart and took me straight to checkout. (I even had to clear the cart so I didn't order your scope!)

BTW, every time I have used the custom shop, I have always had a representative contact me before they actually assemble the scope. They do not accept returns on custom orders; only repairs or modifications if needed. So they contact you before actual assembly to confirm that your order is correct..

You are correct in the fact that the custom shop link on their website is only for ordering a new custom scope.
    Sorry about that; I was under the impression that you were following Lloyd's lead on a new scope purchase (in regards to post #4 in this thread).

The technician at Leupold did remind me that they do not sell new scopes outside the US due to various liabilities. All international sales are therefore done through the various importers.
    However, you may ship your Leupold scope to them for a reticle change or any other custom work to which they agree (parallax adjustment, etc.).
    All you need to do is call them and discuss the details of your work order.

The technician on the phone advised me that they service their scopes for people all around the world, and Australia is certainly not a problem.

1-800-LEUPOLD (1-800-538-7653)

Good Luck.

Boolit Master
    Premere Reticle does some custum work Might be a little too costly

Boolit Master

Talking

I have several scopes from Premier Reticle where they boosted the power on a Leupold 6.5x20x50mm LR to 14.5x 35x and changed the reticle at the same time, and the work was great. I believe they are only doing reticles at this time and not power boosts.

Thanks, it must have been some glitch, all the other scopes I looked at, I was able to complete and add to the cart without problem, it was only the smaller scope.

I have a VX3, 3.5-10x50 scope on my 223 and the thick crosshairs or illumination is not so important there. I had intended to use the 223 (Tikka, 1 in 8" twist) with two mags, one for 55Gns general bullets and one with 75-80 Gn for heavier game/longer shots that present themselves. The second rifle will be my Win Mod70 (1949 production) 270 Win and a bigger rifle and I haven't decided between my Rem700 and Ruger M77 Mk11, both in 300 Win Mag or my Ruger No1 in 338Wing Mag. My 444 Marlin was to use cast and was to have the smaller scope.

I would probably be better off using the VX3 3.5-10x50 with illuminated German No4 on all four rifles, it would look a bit strange on the 444 I suppose, but my sight picture would always be the same.

This is for rifles that will be used on longer shots generally. For most of my cast boolit stuff, I don't use scopes.

PLease excuse me if this is a bit dis-jointed, my 35 yr old live at home son is walking in and out babbaling on as he does and I have been interuppted I don't know how many times. It would start WW3 if I tried to do the same to him while he's on the computer.

Boolit Master

Talking

Tell your son that you are communicating with his 13,000+ uncles and if he knows what is best for him he will do it with out complaints.

He's a mad scientist/professor type and can talk underwater about all sorts of amazing and interesting (to him) stuff. It is annoying I guess but better than having a son that is not interested in talking to you. Sometimes he will finish what he is saying, wander out of the room and I will finally work out where I was up to and collect my thoughts and go to touch the keyboard and he will wander back in with another discovery/report/revelation. A half a dozen of these and I'm a dithering wreck . I hit (dang, he just did it again ) my attention span I guess! Like I said, better a slightly annoying and confusing person who can talk underwater (I wonder where he gets that from?) than a surly, uncommunicative person.

Back to the scopes, I have a friend who has a truckload of pre 64s, all smick and all with Leupolds, which he has been fitting with custom scopes lately. I will ask him how he goes about it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    FFOD,
    I had the same problem as you on the Leupold site when trying the custom ad on's sometime back...
    I wonder if it is because we are on foreign servers (ISP) ?