Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scope to take abuse of .44 mag revolver

Boolit Master
    HI,
    Burris makes a nifty scope with range indicators out to 200yds. a 2-7 X.
    but some claim thier tubes are too soft & bend.

Moderator Emeritus

I used a 2x Leopold on my SBH. It reduced groups but target acquisition suffered, so I sold it when I went to a redhawk.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub

Burris 2x7

I just listed one here cheap for 180.
    It will work or they will replace it ...free...forever....and ever

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    UltraDot red dot sight
    +1. After trying it, I couldn't agree more with 44man and couple others here who recommend zero magnification in handgun optics. Eliminates a lot of visual confusion, especially when hunting. The Ultradot is really tough and inexpensive, I will vouch for that. I'm also told that many other brands of red dot style optics can't handle recoil.

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    not a SBH but my Ruger SRH in 44 mag with Simmons pro hunter 2-6 has stood up well for me.

I've shot about 800 rounds of full house loads, from the 215gr to the 280gr heavies and not failed me yet. I'm quite pleased with it. I also have a simmons pro hunter 2-6 on my contender 10" 44mag, it is doing well too.

a used simmons goes for about $80 or so, at least that's what I've paid for them.

personally I cannot use a leupold scope, the opening (forget the technical term) when looking through it is too small for me

glad that simmons worked for you but i had a much different experience with them. I have the same scope but in fixed 4 power and it didn't even last a few months on a beretta neos .22. The recticle spins around a little more each shot. Unfortunatley i bought it and didn't mount it for awile and when it did **** out the one year warranty was up. I for one will never buy another simmons, it was the biggest waste of $130 that i have ever come across. Also i contacted their idea of customer service and they basically said that I was out of luck, it would cost me more to have it fixed and shipped than I paid for it and no warranty on the repair!

Boolit Master
    There are only three which will hold up forever. Leupold 2X, Leupold 4X, Bushnell Elite 3200 2X-6X
    Last edited by Irascible; 02-17-2010 at 04:17 PM.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Master
    On the target size when using a 2X Leupold, it can be changed by screwing the eyepiece out. This is a rare scope in that the eyepiece is not to focus the crosshairs, but to control eye releif! I too found that it seemed to make objects appear smaller. I turn the eyepiece out about 6 to 10 turns and it helps!
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Irascible View Post
    There are only three which will hold up forever. Leupold 2X, Leupold 4X, Bushnell Elite 3200 2X-6X
    I'd beg to differ. The T/C 2.5 Scopes and the Burris 2x also belong on the list of damn near indestructible scopes.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    I have trouble with 1" tubes and magnification on a handgun.

My favorite is a Bushnel Holosight.

But it's hard to beat a set of good irons .......... it helps to keep a handgun .......... just that rather than a stockless rifle.

Three 44s

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I have trouble with 1" tubes and magnification on a handgun.

My favorite is a Bushnel Holosight.

But it's hard to beat a set of good irons .......... it helps to keep a handgun .......... just that rather than a stockless rifle.

Three 44s
    That's great if you can still SEE.

I have to put optics on anything I want to hunt with. I have eye problems that play heck with magnification, too, so the Ultradot works for me and enables me to shoot handguns well at distance.

Just my 02.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

I didn't really "discover" Red Dot sights until a couple of years ago (I now have close to a dozen of them). My two deer hunting handguns, as stated before, have Leupold and Burris scopes on them. You can compare the size differences, here:

S&W Model 29 (8 3/8" with Burris Big Dot):

Here is a 625-6 (5") .45 ACP/.45 Auto Rim with a Simmons 30MM Red Dot with four different reticules:

What isn't so obvious is that the Red Dot only weighs about four ounces and the scope is about four times heavier and as you can see about twice as long.

Now, about those adverse comments on being able to acquire the target with a two power scope (I wouldn't consider anything more powerful for deer hunting due to the compromised field of view). It's just a matter of conditioning yourself, folks. Just like hiking three times a week to prepare yourself for a wilderness hunting trip, I worked HARD practicing mounting and acquiring my target. When at home, during the evening the gun and scope combination was within reach. I would pick it up fifty times an evening and acquire a tough to see target. In just a few weeks, it became as natural as scratching my nose (I don't have to watch my hand to find my nose and I learned that I didn't have to watch my gun when I mounted it and acquired a target). YOU JUST HAVE TO PUT IN THE TIME!

I am also just as single minded when prepping my shooting skills for the hunt. Trigger time, Trigger time, Trigger time...

I submit that a Red Dot IS easier but you still need to do the work - it just requires a bit less applied skill.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Bub
    On my TC Contenders, the only scope brand that I tried that didn't shake apart was Leopold. I never had a failure with a Leopold scope.

Scoped hand guns were wonderful at the range.

But when I tried scoped hand guns for hunting, I discovered that I had far better success in the field with iron sights for deer, calling coyotes, running shots at jackrabbits, bunnies in the briars, squirrels, etc. I therefore no longer use scoped hand guns.

JMHO - YRMV