Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: 38 special Hercules with filler ?

Boolit Buddy

38 special Hercules with filler ?

I am using 3.3gr of Hercules with a cast SWC 158gr (Lee 358156). Should I use a filler for this little powder in a 38 special case ?
    danyboy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by danyboy View Post
    I am using 3.3gr of Hercules with a cast SWC 158gr (Lee 358156). Should I use a filler for this little powder in a 38 special case ?
    danyboy
    I don't know which Hercules powder your using, but I can't imagine that you will need a filler of any kind in a 38 Special case. Fast pistol powders are made to use in small quantities in pistol cases.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy

filler

I meant Bullseye by Alliant and bought it about 6 months ago.
    danyboy

Boolit Buddy

.38 Special Hercules with filler ?

Hercules (now Alliant) made several pistol powders. You don't state WHICH powder you are using. If you are using any type of fast pistol powder, any filler would, in my judgment, be risky to the point of dangerous. I have been handloading over 50 years and have never seen a filler recommended for any .38 Special load. My advice is "don't do it."
    Last edited by R.C. Hatter; 02-15-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: poor spacing via submission

Boolit Buddy

filler

I meant Alliant Bullseye. Thanks fot the tip. Won't use filler anymore and will try .4gr less to see. Have a hard time adjusting my load with fixed sights. Bullet hits the target too much to the left.
    Danyboy

Boolit Master

I meant Alliant Bullseye. Thanks fot the tip. Won't use filler anymore and will try .4gr less to see. Have a hard time adjusting my load with fixed sights. Bullet hits the target too much to the left.
    Danyboy
    It's going to take some gunsmith sight adjustment and or shooter adjustment to get that gun to shoot POA, usualy changing amount of powder charge won't move boolit impact left or right much if any, changing elevation is easy.
    Before going the GS route try changing your grip on the gun and using a little less finger on the trigger(if right handed).
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Buddy

filler

How can too much pressure on the trigger make you shoot to much to the left when right handed ?
    danyboy
    Last edited by danyboy; 02-15-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: error

Boolit Grand Master

No.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

How can too much pressure on the trigger make you shoot to much to the left when right handed ?
    danyboy
    I didn't say anything about pressure!! I said too much finger on the trigger!! It can cause you to push the gun to the left(for right handed shooter) when you squeeze the trigger.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jake View Post
    I didn't say anything about pressure!! I said too much finger on the trigger!! It can cause you to push the gun to the left(for right handed shooter) when you squeeze the trigger.
    100% correct. Also, rushing the shot, (even when you don't think you are), will throw shots left from a right hander. Just use the first pad of your trigger finger, and concentrate on a straight back pull.

Boolit Grand Master

I use to have a shot wheel posted at the range i'll see if I can get a smaller copy.

Boolit Buddy

For the right handed shooter and assuming no bent barrel or sights.

If the bullet hits left this is from too little trigger finger ( your pushing the whole gun to the left when you squeeze the trigger), if it hits right it's from too much trigger finger (your trigger finger is pulling the gun to the right as you squeeze the trigger). You want to pull straight back and sometimes it takes some experimenting to find out how far you should be putting your trigger finger into the trigger guard.

For me with my NRA Bullseye shooting I have to put my trigger finger IN the trigger up to my first joint. If I just use the pad of my finger I will hit left every time (pushing). Try adjusting how far you put your trigger finger In the trigger, everybody is different.

2shot

The shot wheel KCSO talks about can be seen at www.m1911.org/technic30.htm
    Last edited by 2shot; 02-17-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Boolit Buddy

no filler

OK, went to the range today. Here is the result when using 3.0gr Bullseye with 158gr 358156 cast with no gaz check or filler and applying what you guys told me about too much pressure on the trigger. I am a happy camper; no gold medal but happy. Inner cercle is 5½" inches shot at 15 yards.
    http://s454.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=IMG_0982.jpg
    danyboy

Boolit Master

Looks like a decent load to me!

I personally have never shot a 358156 at 38spl velocity. So, I cannot testify to whether or not it likes slow velocities. But you might try a little more powder behind it. Below is my go to load for the Lee 358-158 SWC-TL. Its 4.2g Unique over ANY small pistol primer in mixed brass. I haven't found any Wheel Gun that doesn't like it. This one was shot with my Model 65 S&W 4"

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Buddy

Nice. I"ll give it a try. How far was the target ?
    Danyboy

Boolit Grand Master
    danyboy
    No!!

Folks have been shooting with this powder and small charges without a filler since it's inception in 1913. An economical accurate load.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Front-to-back trigger pull, AND - grip should be front-to-back, also. The finger tips should be loose, not squeezing.

(I love this internet coaching! Look what the forum has done, and is doing! I love this place!)
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Don't need no filler. 3.3 grains makes a sweet load. I even went as far as 2.0 grains with 100 grain wadcutters. It was like shooting a cap gun. Very accurate and no ear plugs required outdoors. 500 fps or so was the velocity.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight