RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: 405 fngc in a 450 marlin

Banned

405 fngc in a 450 marlin

The bullet in the title cast from an RCBS mold, does anyone know of a source for load date for bullets cast by RCBS molds. Not really familiar with cast bullets, but can I start with min load data for jacketed bullets since this has a gc and work up a load as normal? I haven't picked a powder for this bullet yet, but i'm leaning towards h322.

Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

I load that boolit in .45-70 which I have read is close in case volume to
    the .450 Marlin. YOu should look at Hodgdon's web site

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I find that I get essentially identical results with Speer or Rem jacketed 405s
    as with the RCBS cast GC 405s. The Hodgdon .450 M max for H322 is 52.5 and
    is compressed, for a velocity of 2023. H335 max for .450M is 55.0 gr for a vel
    of 1953 fps.

I see that the 450 Marlin must have a smaller combustion chamber than the .45-70 since
    the max loads are about 5% lower than the max for .45-70 "levergun" loads.

I use 57.0 gr of W748 and a magnum primer for 1750 fps from my .45-70 SS GG. Very accurate, like
    1-2" at 100 yds. This is a low pressure Trapdoor level load, but I'd cut it to 54 for your .450
    to start.

I find that 1750 is as much recoil as I can work with for any length of time with the GG, even with
    a bigger and thicker recoil pad. You may like heavy recoil more than I do. I have loaded up
    to 2100 fps, but it was so unpleasant that I do not load to that level any more. There is
    nothing on this continent that will not drop to a 405 jacketed a 1750 fps if you put it in the
    right place, and you get to keep your shoulder.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 02-21-2010 at 02:24 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus

RCBS had a cast boolit manual years ago. Much of that data can be found in Reloaders Reference. The 450 wasnt out at that point so probably not much help there though. Quickload has RCBS molds listed too so can be useful.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Banned
    thanks for the replies.

mtgun,
    the .450 has thicker case walls supposedly to handle heavier loads, but i have yet to see anyone take advantage of that, commercially or in published load data. i'll be shooting these out of an 1895mxlr, the 24" barrel should help with velocites and it has one of the thickest, softest recoil pads i've ever seen. I've looked at hodgdon's site, I don't think they list anything cast for the 450m, closest weight for jacketed was 400 grains i think.
    wiljen,
    thanks for the notice about quickload. never used it, anyone have this program that could give me the info for this bullet?

thanks.

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    I think you would be able to use the 45-70 info for a starting point. From what I've read the .450 has slightly less case volume. I've had very good luck with this bullet in my Marlin 45-70 with a 22" barrel it gets 1800fps and 1" groups at 60 yards with 50gr. IMR 3031. I just use acww.
    I envy you your thick recoil pad..