Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70

and remember the optimum meat penetration speed is 1450.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tgd31968 View Post
    So what is your bp load? I am shooting the Lee 405 grain hb over 55 grains of 3F goex with about 10 grains of cream of wheat as a filler. It is all over the place off the bench at 50 yards. By contrast a load with 3031 grouped into an inch.
    My bullets are not hard, so I am not sure how much of a difference that makes, especially with that load, but I don't know what else to mess with.
    I'm shooting a 20:1 405 grain RN boolit lubed with SPG lube, over 65 grains of Goex 2F with a .060" thick card wad. I can't remember how much compression I'm using - I'm 8,000 miles away from my guns and gear right now.

I'd suggest buying this book by Mike Venturino: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...rtNum=BOOK-SPG It contains a lot of useful info on loading BPCR.

Here's a reasonably good Youtube video on how to load BPCR ammo. I disagree with his bullet seating procedure, but I guess it works for him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOyvtS3pOzg
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

Cool

emorris, Welcome to the forum!
    And welcome to the 45-70.
    Their are many ways to load
    the 45-70.
    The way I found is IMR 4198
    and a card wad.
    Get your self a milk carton.
    Then drill out a primer pocket
    of your of your shells.
    Chamfer the mouth of the case
    on the inside.
    Cut the wax cardbord from the milk
    container.
    And use the case as a punch and
    make some wads.
    use a nail to push out the wads you made
    from inside the case/punch.
    After putting your load in a case,
    put the card wad just inside the shell
    Then load your plane base boolet and crimp.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Banned
    I went through the same thing several years back. I had purchased a Wesson ANd HArrington Buffalo Classic. Which is a glorified Handi Rifle. I could find ZERO concrete information about which load level strength this thing could safely operate at. I found some folks saying that they could only handle trapdoor level loads and others saying they would hold anything you put in them. Nothing in writing and H@R/nef had no comment except factory loads were OK.

I settled on the Weak Trapdoor level loads for this rifle. Easier on the rifle as well as the shoulder.

Those 'Weak" loads have killed every deer and hog that I have shot with them.