WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greetings, and a question! (or 3 or 4......)

Boolit Mold

Smile

Bass- Thanks for the insight on pressure/hardness relationships. Most of what I have read seem to suggest that it is velocity that determines hardness requirements. I guess it is just an indirect relation. Not so much the speed, but the size/duration of the 'kick in the pants' to get it there.

I love this hobby. Always so much more to learn. And with places like this, I'm gonna be learnin' for a loooooong time!

Boolit Bub

243W and 303 Brit for 4 LE LB

Redneck, didn't know Canada had rednecks, or that the govt would allow such language! I'm a proud RN myself.
    243 W with the Lyman 90, is that the loverin design? If so, check to see if it fits the chamber without the gascheck crowding the shoulder(not good). Size(full length of the bullet) and seat the GC to .001 over groove and measure the groove with a bumped bullet or chamber cast. Then heat treat the alloy(WW+Pb)at 450F for 45 min and quickly quench, age for 1-3 days, then lube it, 2 grooves is usually enough. The hard bullet will shoot much better in the smaller bores, target or hunting, and foul less. Work up a load of 4350, 4831, AA3100 until you find a decent hi-vel load. For hunting, anneal the nose after aging the HT alloy by heating the nose with a torch, propane or alcohol flame, for a few seconds, the base of bullet in water(I use a metal bottle cap, 1 bullet at a time). This gives a soft nose with hard base, a CB "partition." For target or plinking loads, start with 5 gr of BE, AA#2, or similar powder until you get the results you want.
    The #4 LE LB has a .316+ groove, 2 groove. Check it to be sure. There are no standard moulds to fit it, but the 314299 is about .313 as cast and it will shoot without much trouble. I shot mine with COW filler with 18-20 gr of medium rifle powders(AA2230-S to 4895-S)for 1400-1500 MV with better accuracy. I had a custom mould made for .318" bullets and had a .318 size/lube die made at same time. Lee made a .316" bullet(maybe)?