Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Gas checks for a song...

Boolit Grand Master

Gas checks for a song...

I was "making a run" just running past the local shops. One small shop where I have often purchased guns for a good price had a single, sealed box of Hornady Gas Checks in Caliber .45. Unfortunately, they only had the one box and no .44's (which I could also use). I took them home for $15.00...

That's the best price I have seen ANYWHERE. They were obviously "New, old stock". The box looked like they were made yesterday.

I sure wished they had had some more and in other calibers, but I was MORE than happy to get this one. My .454's will LOVE these.

Just pays to look around when you are in a gun shop. You never know WHAT you are going to find.

Dale53

Boolit Master

I found a box of Ideal 6.5mm like that, but they had adjusted the price up a bit from the original price. I would imagine that they originally sold for about $2-$3 a thousand.

This box certainly had a bit of dust and shelf wear and no bar code to go by.
    Attachment 19096
    Last edited by HamGunner; 01-21-2010 at 08:44 PM.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Dale,

Same thing happened to me down at a fields with primers. Thet had two thousand LR primers for $26.00 per 1000.

The guy twisted my arm to buy both boxes.
    Appalachian American

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, “Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Just pays to look around when you are in a gun shop. You never know WHAT you are going to find.
    I'm that guy that walks past the gun racks and starts digging through the old Lyman/RCBS/Marbles/etc "parts" boxes if they are within reach. I make a point of asking if I can browse through them if they are not.

I also like to look behind stock on the shelves. Never know what got lost back there without a price update for years. Sometimes it's an out of production Lyman mold. Other times it's been new/old stock gas checks in a size that I can use. Once it was a very cheap brick of small rifle primers.

The little independent gun shops in out of the way places who have been around forever, with owners who aren't terribly organized, are the best. The conversation is usually a cut above and the pickings can be rich. I make a point of buying something, whether I need it or not, based on the quality of the recreational experience.

-ktw

Boolit Grand Master
    Got some at a gun show. $5 for around 600 checks. Nasty looking. A trip in a bowl with muriatic acid cleaned them right up.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Got some at a gun show. $5 for around 600 checks. Nasty looking. A trip in a bowl with muriatic acid cleaned them right up.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

In Remembrance

And I`m just willing to bet that all of you lucky guys giggled all the way home?robert

Banned
    About 4 months ago I bought 1K of hornady .22 checks in a sunbleached cardboard box complete with metal corners................$12.50.

I had walked/looked right by them for years and a recent cleaning of the yellowed glass case revealed them.