Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: multi-cavity moulds with 1 cavity HP

Boolit Mold

multi-cavity moulds with 1 cavity HP

This is a question for anyone that has a multi-cavity mould with only 1 cavity HP'd:
    How do you use it? I mean, do you fill all the cavities including the HP and sort the boolits later, cast just the HPs, or just the non-HPs?

The reason I ask is I'm interested the 358429 SGB that NOE is running now and I can't decide between the traditional HP style described in this post, or one of Swede's RG2 or RG4 moulds.

any advice?

-Jeff

Banned

I got some of the rg style molds when they first started running them on the group buy section. There fast but I have to wonder if eventually the pin area will wear out from use. It also can be a pain if you run a bit to hot and lead migrates into the area. I personaly have came to he conclusion that when possible i will get a conventional mold with on hp cavity. I dont shoot near as many hps anyway so production isnt a big consern. I alot of times will cast the hps out of a different alloy and in most cases run the mold as either a mutli cavity solid or a single cavity hp. The nice thing about that is with a 3 or 4 cav mold just running the hp cavity you can cast just as fast as your hands will allow and the mold wont overheat so theres no need to fool with casting two molds at a time and you can consentrate on making top quality hps. Ive got the new noe 512 mold sitting on the pot right now warming up. Its a 3 cav mold cut in a 4 cav block with one cav hped. Today the solid nose version is getting a workout.

Boolit Master

Hey Jeff,

If you've got a standard 358429 mold then hollow point mold service:

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

can HP one or more cavities for you for $34 plus shipping and they do nice work. Midway and Midsouth shooter supply has them in stock and you wouldn't have to wait six months for a custom mold -- NOT knocking NOE, I'm in on one of their GB's and they make NICE molds it's just a suggestion.

I'm having them do ONE cavity of my lyman 358429 4-banger. Don't shoot HP's as much as the others and by just having one cavity HP'd as Lloyd says with just one HP cavity you won't have to mess with the heat factor quite as much.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

And, while he's doing it, have him fit a screw attached "plug" for the HP cavity and you'll never know it's there until you need a mess of HP bullets and can switch back./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    Hey Jeff,

If you've got a standard 358429 mold then hollow point mold service:

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

can HP one or more cavities for you for $34 plus shipping and they do nice work. Midway and Midsouth shooter supply has them in stock and you wouldn't have to wait six months for a custom mold -- NOT knocking NOE, I'm in on one of their GB's and they make NICE molds it's just a suggestion.

I'm having them do ONE cavity of my lyman 358429 4-banger. Don't shoot HP's as much as the others and by just having one cavity HP'd as Lloyd says with just one HP cavity you won't have to mess with the heat factor quite as much.

Art
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Erik has done several molds for me. You can cast the HP alone or cast both, depends on what you want to do. It works well either way.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies guys. I don't currently have a Lyman 358429, or I would just send it off to Erik.

It's good to know that I should be able to get enough heat in the mould while casting just HPs if I work fast enough.

Moderator Emeritus

NOE group buy for Lyman 358429
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=72785
    I have one of their 2 cavity 429215 with one cavity hollowpointed

I fill both cavities and sort later, I need both cavities filled to maintain good heat in the mold blocks.
    The middle and right are NOE, the left is a Lyman 429215.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master

Thanks Beagle! I will do that!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    And, while he's doing it, have him fit a screw attached "plug" for the HP cavity and you'll never know it's there until you need a mess of HP bullets and can switch back./beagle
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Buckshot HPed one cavity of a 4 cavity Lyman mold for me. I cast all four and sort later.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!