MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vernier tang sight for High wall?

Quote Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
    Yes, it is. Here's a picture of one on my Puma 92. Not a great picture though.

That's a nice looking sight, but looks like you set it & forget it....to ONE yardage zero. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain*Kirk View Post
    That's a nice looking sight, but looks like you set it & forget it....to ONE yardage zero. Right?
    As you see it, it's set for 100 meters. Six clicks up and it's on at 150 meters. I haven't tried to set it for anything farther as the accuracy just isn't there.

Oh, so then it IS quickly adjustable for different range settings. I'll have to give it a closer look, then. And thanks for posting the pix!

Oh, so then it IS quickly adjustable for different range settings. I'll have to give it a closer look, then. And thanks for posting the pix!
    The knurled collar at the top of the knurled post is loosened and then the post is click adjustable up and down. The windage is also click adjustable. Once set, the collar can be tightened again.

Marble's also makes an "Improved Peep Tang Sight" model that looks the same but has interchangeable posts that allow longer or shorter adjustment ranges. The one on my rifle is the standard peep tang sight made especially for the Rossi (Puma) 92 rifles.

Here's a link to the Marble's web site: http://www.marblearms.com/

Boolit Buddy
    I had a browning highwall 'Traditional Hunter" that had regular barrel sights and a Marbles tang peep. I put a lyman globe sight on to slightly raise the front sight to allow the marble sight to work from fifty to around 300 yards. I later added a "parts unknown" vernier sight and then could easily reach to 500 yards with bp and bp style loads. The marbles worked very well if you are shooting at a fixed distance. (within adjustment range) If it was not for the need to go 500 yards the marbles worked great. I couldn't hang with the curved metal buttplate of the TH and found a browning bpcr with the shotgun butt and vernier sights.
    I think the marbles sight would be great for close to medium ranges. It is also pretty durable and folds easily down with out danger to itself or your stock.
    Brian

Wang Dang..got no tang!

Talk about feeling like an idiot! I pulled Mr. High Wall out of the gun safe today to visualize how it might look with the tang sight, and.......D'oh! There IS no tang! This is a fairly new High Wall (mid-nineties) and I guess they didn't use the tang any more? And, if you saw the beautiful stock on this rifle you could understand why there's no way in HEdoublehockeysticks I'm gonna take a router and drill bit to it. So, I guess the tang sight is out. Now what? It's drilled & tapped for scope mounts (yech!) and wears the standard dovetail buckhorns. I'm running out of ideas, guys.....Anyone know of a ladder-type barrel-mounted sight, or.....?????

Talk about feeling like an idiot! I pulled Mr. High Wall out of the gun safe today to visualize how it might look with the tang sight, and.......D'oh! There IS no tang! This is a fairly new High Wall (mid-nineties) and I guess they didn't use the tang any more? And, if you saw the beautiful stock on this rifle you could understand why there's no way in HEdoublehockeysticks I'm gonna take a router and drill bit to it. So, I guess the tang sight is out. Now what? It's drilled & tapped for scope mounts (yech!) and wears the standard dovetail buckhorns. I'm running out of ideas, guys.....Anyone know of a ladder-type barrel-mounted sight, or.....?????
    While I don't know what the reasoning is, some Winchester HiWalls have a tang while others don't. The ones on sale from Davidson's that are "Limited Series" rifles have the tang and come with the Marble's tang sight already mounted. If that had not been the case, I'd likely have gone with an Uberti as mounting a Creedmoor sight on my rifle was a requirement.

Boolit Master

Put a tang on it! Inlet a piece of metal behind the receiver and blue it to look like a tang and then mount the sight to that. The other option if you want it to be period correct is a Malcolm style scope. Leatherwood has one that is fairly reasonably priced. The only other option is trade it for what you want.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Put a tang on it! Inlet a piece of metal behind the receiver and blue it to look like a tang and then mount the sight to that. The other option if you want it to be period correct is a Malcolm style scope. Leatherwood has one that is fairly reasonably priced. The only other option is trade it for what you want.

Bob
    Trade? Never. Might be time to start looking for that Sharps, though. Now I have an excuse!

Boolit Master

Trade? Never. Might be time to start looking for that Sharps, though. Now I have an excuse!
    You NEED an excuse????????????????????? He!! I never knew that!

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

I spent almost $1,300 on a 50-90 Winchester 1885 rifle. The list was over $2,200.
    My budget was up to 3K for everything.

I bought a set of Kelly Soule Sights for the rear and front. They are adjustable for windage and elevation. The front sight takes the Lyman inserts and has a bubble level inside the tube.

The sights have a case hardened finish on them that matches the rifle receiver. It has Bronze knobs and a Hadley eyepiece with multiple size openings.

It is absolutely gorgeous and everybody that has seen it has been floored.

It gives me less than one moa groups at 100 and 200 yds so far.

The rifle kicks so hard that I had to buy a recoil shield for my shoulder.

It is a joy to shoot and I do not regret the $485 for the rear nor the $185 for the front sights as it was money well spent and will give me decades of use. The sights are accurate like a fine swiss watch and the measurements are repeatable.

Buy the best sights you can afford and you will never regret it.

Here is the thread at BACO http://bpcr.net/index-a.htm

These are nice people at BACO and offer excellent customer service as well.
    They do not give their products away but you will be satisfied with anything you buy.

They sent me a mold for a Creedmoor 695 Gr boolit that is the finest mold I have ever seen or used. It cast perfect boolits within < or > one grain at exactly the diameter specified in 40-1 alloy from Rotometals.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    The Williams FP-1885 sight will mount in the receiver scope base holes.
    I have been using one on my 1885 for about 20 years.
    EDG

Does anyone know if the current production Winchester High Wall rifles, particularly the ones that Davidson's has, have the same hole spacing on the receiver as the Browning?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Does anyone know if the current production Winchester High Wall rifles, particularly the ones that Davidson's has, have the same hole spacing on the receiver as the Browning?
    Do they, the Browning/Winchesters, even have tangs? They use a draw bolt to hold the stock on. I thought it was just the BPCR's that had a pseudo tang.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

In Remembrance
    I'm running out of ideas, guys.....Anyone know of a ladder-type barrel-mounted sight, or.....?????
    Do you have a 3/8" dovetail in your barrel?

There are dovetail-mounted ladder sights on these pages.
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,234.html
    and
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,231.html

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    Do they, the Browning/Winchesters, even have tangs? They use a draw bolt to hold the stock on. I thought it was just the BPCR's that had a pseudo tang.
    Frankly, I don't know. They can be had with tang sights, and I've been wondering if the tang sights are installed with wood screws.

What I would like to know is, do the current production Winchester High Walls have the same hole spacing in the receiver (not the tang) as the Browning 1885's?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Frankly, I don't know. They can be had with tang sights, and I've been wondering if the tang sights are installed with wood screws.

What I would like to know is, do the current production Winchester High Walls have the same hole spacing in the receiver (not the tang) as the Browning 1885's?
    I can let you know next saturday when I pick up my new Winchester 1885 38-55 that I bought a set of scope mounts made for a Browning 1885.

By the way, this thread is 8 months old! You would get more responses if you start a new thread asking your question. Borderline thread hijack
    Last edited by jimmeyjack; 09-04-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    So yes the mounts are the same on the Winchesters as the Browning. Same screw thread also.

Boolit Master
    Get a $30 C&R license and they will give you the discount.
    Or just tell them you have one. I got a discount there before my C&R came in.
    EDG