Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taurus vs Springfield .45's

I own Two Springfield Armory 1911s. They are both great pistols and I would pick them over the Taurus.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fivegunner View Post
    setting here playing with my new les Baey `s super Tac!, I say buy the taurus. give it a good run down and shoot the dickings out of it and let Us know how it worked out. (with pictures)
    Now that guy makes a nice 1911! I intended on buying a Les Baer, but talked myself into the Springfield at the last minute. For what I use it for, the Springfield is fine, and has been a good gun for 18,000 rounds. Having shot a few Les Baers since, I will definately own one some day....

Banned

Fiverrunner im a bit jealous ive allways wanted a commander sized baer. I allways liked the limited run colt gold cup commanders and thought a commander sized baer with ajustable sights would be very cool

I have had both the Springfield and Tauras 45 ACP pistols. I strongly favor the Springfield. I think they are both made in Brazil. My Taurus 45 ACP barrel slugged to .456 and the SPringfield was .4515.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Hunter View Post
    I have had both the Springfield and Tauras 45 ACP pistols. I strongly favor the Springfield. I think they are both made in Brazil. My Taurus 45 ACP barrel slugged to .456 and the SPringfield was .4515.
    I think the forgings come from Brazil, but I believe they are assembled here, I could be wrong. My Springfield had a bad extractor new, and it was returned fixed less than a week from the time I had it sent out. My LAST Taurus, (get it), took over 3 months to come back scratched, dented, and best of all NOT repaired.

Boolit Master
    may i ask why you eliminated the para ordance gi expert 1911 ?

thanks
    mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    may i ask why you eliminated the para ordance gi expert 1911 ?

thanks
    mike in co
    For the $$ of a Taurus, I would put my money on the Para. The OP didn't include it in his 2 choices, so I tried to not complicate matters. It is a very valid point to raise though....

When was the last time you heard someone say "it's almost as good as a Taurus"?

I own a mil-spec, and only had one occasion to shoot a taurus. I will say this: I ran 2 mags through the taurus and it ran well, no issues whatsoever, and the trigger pull was very nice. However, two magazines does not a gun review make.

My mil-spec has had thousands of my reloads through it with only 1 issue. The rear sight did come loose and fall out. I called springfield and they insisted I send the whole gun (I said thats silly, and offered to just send the slide to save them from having to overnight the thing) but they took it all, put a new rear sight in, and mailed it back on their dime in about 10 days.

I did recently put about 100 bucks in parts into the mil-spec-

EGW bushing, Wilson long trigger, wilson sear, and wilson hammer
    If you switch hammers on the Mil-spec, you'll probably have to grind down the grip safety (I did) as it is a non-standard size and requires a bit of fitting to get other ones to work. I forget how they measure it, but from what I've read fitting new grip safeties can be a bit of a pain.

Again, I've never done that, a few minutes with a belt sander and a few more minutes with a fine stone to clean up the lines is all I needed to get the stock one to work- but it is something to be aware of.

The rest of the parts dropped in as easy as could be.

Boolit Mold
    I just got a Mil-Spec and like it very much. It has all the things I wanted. Almost got a series 70 Colt but was talked into the Mil-Spec my a gunsmith friend. Arched mainspring, short trigger, throated and polished with out all the other bells and whistles. It's exactly what I wanted with nothing extra. Mine shoots great and have fired about 1000 rounds since I got her 3 weeks ago and has never skipped a beat. I did not like store bought ammo and have found that my reloads will shoot 1 1/2 groups from a two handed position. I still have more research to do on loads. I have not even tried cast bullets yet as I have been working up a carry load with J.H.P. XTP and Montana Gold bullets. So far I really like the Montana Gold even though the XTP's are on sale and cheaper now.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by eljefe View Post
    When was the last time you heard someone say "it's almost as good as a Taurus"?