WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of lube, need suggestions on what to get

Boolit Bub

Out of lube, need suggestions on what to get

I have used the 3 sticks I got a couple of weeks ago when I started casting. The 3 I have used are Lyman Orange, Lyman Moly, and Thompson Blue Angle. The Moly is extremely nasty(makes the gun nasty and loading nasty) so I dont want anything like it. The Lyman orange was OK I guess, still ended up getting alot of it on the bottom of the boolits. The easiest to work with was the Blue Angle, it is hard and needs heating, but it stays in the grooves, did not get on the bottom of the boolits.

I was Looking at Lars45 website and wondering about the Carnuba Red, is it similar in texture to the Blue angle, as in not mesy to deal with?

Suggestions?

In Remembrance
    Carnauba Red, from Lars, or Speed Green, from Bullshop.

You will not go wrong with either of them. Guaranteed.

Boolit Grand Master

For most boolits that are going to be shot up to 2400fps. I would use Lars BAC.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

When I run out of the stock on 2500+ i have Ill be going with Carnauba Red, from Lars
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Banned
    Lars Lube is hard to beat both for function and for price.

Carnuba Red if you want a harder lube, and BAC if you want a slightly softer lube. The C. Red is 100% no-tox due to no alox like the BAC has, however...that decision is up to you. I prefer the BAC but it is going to be softer than that hard blue stuff you like. The C red is ever so slightly softer than the blue you are used to, but a far superior product in my opinion.

Carnauba Red is quite a bit softer than Blue Angel and somewhat tacky to the touch.

With one exception I use CR, BA and Bullshop Speed Green interchangably for all applications. From 600 fps in 32S&W and 38Spl, full house 44 and 357Mag to 2200+ fps in 308Win and 35Whelan, all three work very well.

The exception is Blue Angel and HV rifle loads in cold weather. It doesn't seem to affect my plinking loads at 1200-1300 fps, or handguns at any level, but my hunting loads don't use BA.

If the "mess factor" is important to you then BA is the best choice. If you're using RCBS or Lyman sizers, CR and SG will leave some lube on the boolit bases and on your fingers, with SG being a bit tackier than CR.

All three companies are easy to deal with and you will be well served with any of them.

Jerry

I like some alox in my lube as it makes it stick to the boolit very well. I have never bought lube so I cannot recommend any.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Lars Lube is hard to beat both for function and for price.

Carnuba Red if you want a harder lube, and BAC if you want a slightly softer lube. The C. Red is 100% no-tox due to no alox like the BAC has, however...that decision is up to you. I prefer the BAC but it is going to be softer than that hard blue stuff you like. The C red is ever so slightly softer than the blue you are used to, but a far superior product in my opinion.
    The Carnuba Red is now all I use. It does need a tiny bit of heat unless your sizer is in a room that is about 90deg. The BAC is good, no heat needed, but a bit more tacky than I like to handle during reloading. Both wrok well from 800fps to 1700fps.

Boolit Grand Master
    This brand rocks!!

Lar45Stuff see the link at the bottom of the page

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

If you liked the Blue Angle, then I think you will like the C red. It's what I use and stays where put.
    Appalachian American

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, “Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”

Boolit Master
    Another fan of Carnuba Red, even had it up to 1900 fps or so in a pistol. I use ground mica from MidwayUSA in the one pound tub. The mica keeps bullets from sticking together and is a lubricant itself (under pressure, it just shatters). Carnuba Red is a good lube and doesn't cost a fortune, very good recommendation.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Banned
    I have had C-red up to 2700+fps in several cast rifles ACCURATELY...it is good stuff.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    If you ever get the urge to mix your own... Felix lube.

Banned

I'll chime in both as supporter of White Label Lubes and avid user of Felix lube. There are other good ones, and plenty of others that suck at any speed, both commercial and homebrew recipes.

If you want guaranteed, no-worry performance and don't mind dealing with really hard lubes, White Label Carnauba Red (as has been said about ten different ways so far) is really tough to beat. And it's really inexpensive. The best route to go, imo, is get the commercial sized sticks and melt them into a pyrex measuring cup (2- or 4-cup) and just melt it in the microwave and pour it in your sizer. Fewer air bubbles, you have to fill it less often because melting and filling gets about 1.5 sticks (equivalent) in the reservoir.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

I found with Carnuba Red that if you unplug the heater when it starts to flow well and not let it get real warm it stays off the bottom of the bullet . If the heater is let plugged in and the lube gets too thin it tends to get on the bottom of the bullet.

Not a problem, just have to work with it.

Going out tomorrow to test CR, BAC, elox 2500 against LBT Blue Soft.

Boolit Grand Master

Fired Carnuba Red, Bc, and 2500 yesterday in my T/C 30-30 21" carbine and Ruger SBH Hunter in 41 mag. Compared them to LBT Blue Soft.
    Used 311041 in the T/C, the Lyman 215gr. SWC in the Ruger.

Started low and worked up in the Ruger, got to 18.1 grs of new 2400, no leading and very good accurracy with all. The 30-30 was 28grs of H4895, my hunting load. Same results as the Ruger.

I'm ordering Carnuba Red because I ship bullets and this is a harder lube. Price is very good also, and Lar's is a sponser here.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the input guys, will soon be placing an order for the C red.

Also, I found a boolit I shot, it still had almost all of the lube still on the bullet, you would think it would come off or melt coming out of the barrel.

Boolit Master

Lube on bullet

Not an uncommon thing, unless you use a homemade benchrest lube that is thin enough to spin off the bullet after exiting the muzzle, you'd find most lubes stay right in the lube groove. Wax lubes usually don't go anywhere except for the small amount forced by pressure that slides down the rifling.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Buddy
    I have switched over to the LBT blue soft. I really like this lube. Used to use a lot of alox based lubes, tammarak being the last but in my revolvers they smoked quite a bit and left my guns with a thin gray film around the cylinder and yolk. The Blue Soft solved this problem. I still use the tammarak in a few of my single shot pistols (TC's & XP's) but when it is all gone I am sticking to the Blue Soft. Good Stuff.
    Bret

moly grease/beeswax

Is there a reason Geln Fryxell is the only one avidly supporting homebrewed 50/50 moly grease/beeswax (or was that 50/50 beeswax/moly grease? )

I found it too smokey for shooting at an indoor range and have since been working with lee's tumble lube, and have gotten membership at an outdoor range. My quart of 50/50 is just waiting for comparison to the lee tumble lube.

While it's waiting on the shelf, any comments?