Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Unsized cases BP vs Smokeless

Unsized cases BP vs Smokeless

I've noticed a lot of people saying they don't resize for black powder, just use a slip fit. does anyone have any experience doing the same with smokeless?

I just put up a 360 yd gong at my brothers and loaded up a bunch of 40-65 to "test" it out.
    I used 20 gr 4227 w/ snover bullet, and didn't resize the brass, just a slip fit. No filler.

Had some pretty consistent hits on one part of the gong, but occasionally would get a shot that would drop unrealistically low.

any feedback? experiences? I may have to try it again only with a filler.

Super Moderator

..............I've never loaded smokless intentionally with boolits that were an easy slip fit, but I have reloaded a few that did actually have a pretty casual grip. The problem is the difference between smokless and BP. Smokless requires a certain minimum pressure for each type/burn rate in order to be efficient. The higher the pressure goes the more energetic the powder becomes. With smokless it's a balancing act between a squib and a bomb so far as efficiency goes, and with lots of cartridges the optimum efficiency is well over halfway to being a bomb.

Blackpowder on the other hand burns about as efficiently in a pile on the ground as it does bottled up in a cartridge case. Of course it's not quite that simple but in broad terms that's why it can be done with BP and generally doesn't work with smokless.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    All my bottle neck cases are neck sized only. All my straight wall cases get F/L sized.

I was hoping it would change my leading pattern with this load. It didn't, so I've got to try some other things.

Sounds like vertical stringing, which is a reflection of ballistic variation. Not the best powder for low density applications, IMHO. If you will work up some loads with either 5744 (3rd choice), Unique (2nd choice), or IMR4759 (1st choice), you will find flyers eliminated. Of course, a case full of Goex Cartridge or Swiss 1.5 will work even better than the nitros.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Bub
    http://www.stolenweapon.com/Stolen-Gun-Home.html

A web site just to list stolen weapons at. I would suggest that all of you that have been ripped off list the rifle there as well as here. I would also suggest that one of the moderators do what ever it is that they do to keep this thread available to all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Sounds like vertical stringing, which is a reflection of ballistic variation. Not the best powder for low density applications, IMHO. If you will work up some loads with either 5744 (3rd choice), Unique (2nd choice), or IMR4759 (1st choice), you will find flyers eliminated. Of course, a case full of Goex Cartridge or Swiss 1.5 will work even better than the nitros.
    Maybe a caution to help. I use 4759 in my 45-70 revolver and when working with a 420 gr boolit, I went down to 27 gr once, with Dacron filler too. I use tight boolits and crimp.
    I had different sounds and recoil with vertical displacement. I had to increase the powder charge.

In bottle neck cases with paper patched bullets I get my best accuracy using un-sized brass. The only exception is a Ruger with a waaaaay oversize chamber neck. If I didnt size the neck for this rifle the bullet would fall out!
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master

Talking

Buckshot said it all. If you are going to use smokeless try using a Lyman neck sizing die. My first choice of powders is AA5744, SR4759 and IMR3031

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by semtav View Post
    I was hoping it would change my leading pattern with this load. It didn't, so I've got to try some other things.
    Would you care to describe the "leading pattern" that is troubling you?

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by semtav View Post
    I've noticed a lot of people saying they don't resize for black powder, just use a slip fit. does anyone have any experience doing the same with smokeless?

I just put up a 360 yd gong at my brothers and loaded up a bunch of 40-65 to "test" it out.
    I used 20 gr 4227 w/ snover bullet, and didn't resize the brass, just a slip fit. No filler.

Had some pretty consistent hits on one part of the gong, but occasionally would get a shot that would drop unrealistically low.

any feedback? experiences? I may have to try it again only with a filler.
    I've done it with 4759, no filler, just a card to keep the powder back. It was a single shot, boolits seated to the rifling for a press-fit to chamber. Results were good, no uncalled fliers.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.