Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: I thought solder used on old radiators whats tin?

Boolit Master

I thought solder used on old radiators whats tin?

I went to the junk yard and picked some nuggets off old radiators. Looked like tin, was light like tin, but when I put a little in my 10 pounder it doesn't melt down.

Is there some other solder used to fixed radiators I dont know about?

Boolit Grand Master
    Not that I know of.

Lead/tin or tin/antimony

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master at heavens range
    When I worked at John Deere they used 40-60 solder, I had alot of the soldered joints from lead pipe, I had it analyzed and it came out at.
    Lead- 96.3 %
    Tin- 1.3 %
    Antimony- 2.4 %
    This I figured would have alot of tin in, but didnt.

Boolit Master
    There area lt of aluminum radiators now days and the solder is an aluminum alloy that melts at lower temperature than the pure aluminum.
    Tin is not light. Its heavy. Just not quite as heavy as lead.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    This was fairly light, lightly golden in color like tin dross. This was for sure steel radiators, from out trucks.

Boolit Master
    I would still think that the radiators on trucks are still copper/brass. The solder could be any alloy. might even be part silver. We used silver solder a lot on copper on heater modules for industrial water heaters.
    That was many moons ago and alloy technology has advanced a lot since then.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    I would still think that the radiators on trucks are still copper/brass. The solder could be any alloy. might even be part silver. We used silver solder a lot on copper on heater modules for industrial water heaters.
    That was many moons ago and alloy technology has advanced a lot since then.
    My Mother still owns/operates a radiator shop that my Dad started years ago. We are seeing aluminum cores with plastic tanks on some small dump truck sized trucks now.

The only aluminum radiators that I have seen with other than plastic tanks have aluminum tanks that appear to me to be welded onto the core. We use an epoxy resin in wire form that melts easily with a torch to repair these, so to the best of my knowledge there is no aluminum type solder that might be what the OP is seeing.

Silver solder, more technically a brazing material, could very possibly be what he has, as it sure wouldn't melt at normal lead alloy melting temperatures.

Cheers.

Boolit Bub
    When I worked in a radiator shop in the early 70's, we mostly used regular solder, but for some jobs we used silver solder that takes lots more heat to melt.

I can't remember now why we used the silver solder, but it costs lots more and was a PITA to work with.

Boolit Bub
    Higher pressures, higher temperatures, vibration resistance, all are reasons to use silver solder joints instead of regular tin/ lead type solders. Notice that ease of use isn't one of them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    There area lt of aluminum radiators now days and the solder is an aluminum alloy that melts at lower temperature than the pure aluminum.
    Tin is not light. Its heavy. Just not quite as heavy as lead.
    The weight of tin is 70% of lead.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    A lot of shops used 63/37 solder which is great for alloy use. If you do a search you will find that some of it contains a small amount of silver as phishfood said in his answer. Silver solder is used for the uses he stated and I would think that most shops would not have it. My first job after coming home from my tour was in a radiator shop. I pulled and installed all day long and then moved up to doing the rodding and tank painting. Very hot work while breathing all those fumes.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet