WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Which size, Lee size and lube die?

Boolit Bub

Which size, Lee size and lube die?

Hello,
    I haven't been here in a long time. I smelted my first wheel weights this past spring. I casted a dozen bullets or so for my Marlin 32-40 in order to slug the barrel.
    The slug measures .320. I am choosing the Lee size and lube kit for the task. The two stock sizes they offer are.314 and .323. If I get the .323 is that going to be too large a jump for the bullet? Should I get the .314 and have it honed out or order the special size from Lee. These will be for my first lead bullet reloads so of course I know next to zip . Thanks
    spurgon

Bullets falling from the mold measure .323-.324.
    Last edited by spurgon; 11-19-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I had to guess, and that's all it is, it would be the .323 size die as is.
    Could you beagle the mold to get a bit bigger boolit? I would think the .320 is too small to slug the bore..

Shiloh
    Last edited by Shiloh; 11-19-2009 at 05:28 PM.
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Bub
    Shiloh,
    I might have mis-stated my info. I may just not understand.
    My mold casts a bullet that is .323 and .324 in dia. My bore slugs .320. I thought that a bullet sized 2 thousands bigger than the bore is the way to go.
    So you think that the bullet , out of the mold, is too small to size in order to get 2 thousands bigger than my bore? Pardon my ignorance.
    spurgon

Boolit Master

I understand your post, but the missing info is what size is the bullet when it falls from the mold?

Boolit Bub
    deltaenterprizes,

Bullets falling from the mold measure .323-.324. Sorry about the omission in the original post. I'll edit it. thanks
    spurgon.

Boolit Grand Master
    The .323 die will be fine.

I shoot four thousandths over in the '06, .312. If I had a bore riding nose, rather than sub .30 cal noses. may try .310 or .311. The .312 fits the throat, there is no difficulty chambering, so I go with it.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus
    I wouldn't bother sizing it, I'd just get some Xlox LA from White Label Lubes, much cheaper than lee.

Tumble lube and shoot.

If you need a push through die to size any boolits down then Buckshot is your man, he'll make them exactly to your specification. So if you want the boolit to be 2 thou over then Buckshot will make you a .322" die.

His prices are competitive to.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

size

I shoot most of mine as cast.my 1903 shoots lee 312-160 TL into 1 inch at 100yds.
    If I was 30 yrs younger I would be out there all day.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Bub
    Does sizing not impart a quality of "improved roundness" to the bullet vs. one that is used "as dropped"?
    spurgon

yup, .323. much better a little to big, than a little to small. you would want AT LEAST a .322 sizer anyway. the extra .001 will not hurt at all.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by spurgon View Post
    Does sizing not impart a quality of "improved roundness" to the bullet vs. one that is used "as dropped"?
    spurgon
    I suppose that might be possible, but I suspect it would be very difficult to quantify. The only way you are going to know will be to shoot some of each on paper to see the results. In the end, it all comes down to what you are expecting from your gun and ammo.

If you are looking for sub MOA accuracy you'll be looking at many variables beyond bullet size and concentricity. On the other hand, if you are simply having fun making your own boolits to do some plinking, worry less and shoot more!

So long as the loaded bullet chambers easily I'd say you could go with the bullet as cast and lube with one of the liquid aloxes. You could then try the Lee Sizer (or other brand) at .323 and then if you wanted, try a custom sizer at