Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ham and Bean time!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Ham and Bean time!

Ok, the weather is cooling off, a perfect time for ham and beans.

Navy beans
    Ham
    2 cubes chicken bullion
    3 medium onions
    garlic to taste
    green pepper
    carrots
    1/2 t celery seed
    1 t dried parsley
    1/2 t Basil
    1/4 t Savory

Edit - Forgot the bay leaf!

Better make some fresh corn bread to go with it!
    Last edited by waksupi; 10-06-2009 at 08:27 PM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Not like yours but we had a ham with a pot of red beans and rice for lunch after church today.

Boolit Master

I beat the rush

I cooked mine last weekend.
    Pintos instead of whites though.

Yep, cornbread baked in a skillet to go with em.

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm good
    Last edited by TCLouis; 10-05-2009 at 07:41 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Senate Bean Soup tonight

We are having Senate Bean Soup tonight. Hopefully, with a skillet of cornbread. I'm hungry already!! The recipe is very similar to your ham and beans.

Doc

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range jawjaboy's Avatar
    You can't buy this at Applebees or The Olive Garden.

Dry pinto beans loaded down with leftover baked ham. Turnip greens fresh from the field and a pan a Ma's cornbread(not sweet). A meal fittin fer a King. Have mercy.

Boolit Master
    Well, I wasn't hungry until I read this post. I had some hot pinto beans with ham shanks today for lunch. A coworker made them in a crock pot with lots of hot chiles. As Tony the Tiger says, "They're great!"

The wife and I were talking while cooking dinner this evening that it's about time to start cooking beans about once a week with the cold weather coming on. Can't wait.

Boolit Master
    Beans beans, the magical fruit
    The more you eat, the more you toot
    The more you toot, the better you feel
    So eat some beans with every meal

Boolit Master
    Talk about like minds, I made up a big pot of ham and beans and a pan of cornbread today. Just as I was putting the cornbread in the oven the wife told me to call an old friend and invite him over. I did and we enjoyed. The wife will eat ham and beans, but doesn't really care for them, says they give her gas. She wouldn't let me give the two dogs a taste as they might give the dogs gas. Oh well, that just leaves more for me.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Iry adding some parsley to the mix. It helps get the gas out.But then you do not toot.

Boolit Master

Now you`ve done it. Ric. Have to pick up ham hocks this morning. Make a pot.....dale

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhappy View Post
    Beans beans, the magical fruit
    The more you eat, the more you toot
    The more you toot, the better you feel
    So eat some beans with every meal
    The version I heard it was:

Beans, Beans are good for your heart.
    The more you eat, the more you fart.
    The more you fart, the better you feel.
    So eat some beans with every meal.

Winelover

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    Now you`ve done it. Ric. Have to pick up ham hocks this morning. Make a pot.....dale
    Dale,
    Don't forget the sunny delight and squirt!
    Appalachian American Clinging to my bible,my guns and my H&G moulds

Boolit Buddy
    Didn't use ham, but my wife fixed pintos tonight with a whole slab of sliced salt pork(smoked), onion and a little garlic. Fixed a big skilet of cornbread to go with it.(The cornbread was cooked in the rendered fat from the salt port.)
    Bill

Boolit Buddy
    Took the left over beans and made a big pot of chili(sorry, I;m not in Texas so I use beans) and man it was good.
    Bill

Huh... was just about to Post a new thread on this very same topic and saw this one.

I just love the winter menus....

Last week it was Navy Beans and Cornbread, the following day the beans became Chili.

Today is Vegetable Soup & Buttermilk Cornbread. Heres an old picture but you get the idea. Yummy!

Now if I could only find some fresh Kale

Sprue ™

Quote Originally Posted by Sprue View Post
    Huh... was just about to Post a new thread on this very same topic and saw this one.

I just love the winter menus....

Last week it was Navy Beans and Cornbread, the following day the beans became Chili.

Today is Vegetable Soup & Buttermilk Cornbread. Heres an old picture but you get the idea. Yummy!

Now if I could only find some fresh Kale

Sprue,
    Are we starting the dinner pics here? It would be neat with the guns and the cast boolits.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    This thread has just been resurrected at the right time. I was just looking at the bag of pinto beans in the pantry! I soak them over night, rinse and then add about 1/4 lb bacon and 4 or 5 sliced fresh jalapenos. Then cook all morning finishing up in time for lunch. Now I just have to convince the other half that cornbread is NOT supposed to be sweet! The best part about beans is they get better every day. My dad says an old cowboy told him that when you cook beans you should put a green mesquite twig in the pot with one end resting on the top edge of the pot -- so the farts could climb out.

G

Boolit Master
    Heres my Christmas present to you guys, my personal Cornbread recipe.
    First while warming the oven (375-400) put a medium small cast iron skillet on the stove eye were the oven exhaust comes through, the gentle heat is to melt two to three tablespoons of butter, not margarin but real live butter, while you prepare the rest.
    Use about a cup and 1/4 of self rising cornmeal,( a bit more or less is not critical) in a mixing bowl. Add one whole egg, stirring egg till its a crumbly mix with the cornmeal, Then add a splash of milk, not much cause baking would evaporate much of it and alter the taste, stir a bit, then add a little water at a time while stirring till you have a batter ,(not too thin).

By now the butter should be melted and the oven warm, the skillet will also be warmed nicely. pour as much of the butter into the batter as you like, and add a little salt to your own taste. mix then pour batter into still buttered skillet.

With the prewarmed skillet bread should be done in about 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

PS
    Dad was a Cook in the Brown Water Navy in WW2, so Navy Beans were a common staple here. Dad had managed a restaurant before WW2 and taught mom how to cook.
    I found his USN cook book awhile back, unfortunately recipes are for 400 servings at a time.
    One day I'll try dividing these by 100 and see what I can make from them.

Boolit Master

Not a thing wrong with this recipe.

I throw my little cornbread skillet in the oven when I start it preheating, though, and prepare the batter while the oven is preheating. When the oven is heated, so is the skillet. I toss in a pat of butter or spoonful of bacon fat, swirl it around to coat the bottom and sides, then dump in the batter. It gives the cornbread a thicker crust, and I like that.

Dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master
    If you want a great pot of whatever beans you're cooking, go to a Honey Baked Ham store if you have one nearby and tell them you want to buy a ham bone. They're left after they do the spiral ham platters and there's usually lots of meat left on the bone. Add whatever seasonings you like and cook 'til all the meat falls off the bone and enjoy! A side of slaw and cornbread and what's not to like. Happy Hollidays to all!