Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: "WW will ruin your barrel"

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Venturino View Post
    Bret4207: I refer you to the next issue of Handloader. There will be an article in it titled Cast Bullet Mythbusting. The hard bullet issue is discussed.

And for everybody. I work for RIFLE & HANDLOADER and GUNS & THE AMERICAN HANDGUNNER. The editors and editorial directors give absolutely no direction as to what I will write. They don't even know what I'm going to send it until it gets there, with a very few exceptions that we have discussed. As for my interests, I follow my nose. If you don't like them, that's ok. I've still done them as honestly as I can.

And especially to .44 Man. You have the worst case of head up butt of anyone I've ever read on the internet. You once said you prided yourself on being stubborn. There is another word that starts with the same three letters and I think you have the two confused. I backed you down once before on this website for trashing my integrity and you apologized. Now watch yourself when talking about me.

To everyone else. Good to talk to you again. I've been absent for many months due to work projects and the bpcr silhouette competition season.
    Mike Venturino
    That's good Mike. Maybe you can find a way to get people thinking instead of just going through the motions.

I sort of have a question Mike. I started reading Handloader back in the days of Dave Wolfe and Ken Howell. I remember when Jim Carmichael, Scoville, even Rick Jamison were just freelancers. Now, I don't want to get you in trouble, but is Scoville as miserable as he seems? Last issue of Handloader he spent 4 pages complaining about people writing in to HIM with QUESTIONS ABOUT GUNS!!!!!! Meanwhile, in my collection there's a book by Ken Waters that's nothing BUT questions sent to him by readers, published by Wolfe. I don;t know Scoville, but I do know he used to do some good writing. The man knows, or knew, his stuff. Is it possible some people just aren't meant to be Editors? For a while both Rifle and Handoader were nothing but lever actions and single actions. At least we've gotten away from that. But, and I don;t mean to put you on the spot, is this guy for real? Does he have any interest in seeing Handloader regain the status is once had?

I won't get all nasty with you like some here. Ken Howell told me you were a fine man and a real guy, not completely wrapped up in yourself like some. I don't think you always write what I want to read, but no one except Ken Waters ever did. I also have a hard time with the "Duke" thing, because you were always "Mikey" to me. Sorry, I still think of you being about 27 or 8.

Maybe we all expect more of gun writers as we get older and more experienced. Even Elmer got to repeating himself in his later years. There is only one Ken Waters, Bob Milek, Dean Grenell, John Wooters or Phil Sharpe in a generation. I suppose we're waiting for the next one to come along.

Boolit Buddy
    This thread has been pretty interesting, particularly about writers and the impact of negative or adverse content about advertisers' products. Being the cynic I am, I was wondering if Rick Jamison's lawsuit with Winchester over his short magnum cartridge had anything to do with him not being published anymore. As I understand it, he was pretty much run out of town by the industry after suing Winchester. I'm sure that resonated throughout the gun writer community. Maybe that's why we don't see more critical reviews of products?
    Last edited by ChuckS1; 10-01-2009 at 08:01 PM.