Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Remove a Stuck Case from a Sizing Die

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Le Loup Solitaire View Post
    The following has worked and it is certainly worth a try; Take the die with the stuck case in it and put it in the freezer for a while. The coefficient of expansion (and contraction) for brass is greater than steel and the brass will contract more than the die body. It will then be easier to tap or pull the case out of the die. You will have to keep the die body dry/wiped afterward to prevent any condensation from causing rust and then oil it inside and out with a patch on a jag and/or a Q-tip. LLS
    Dale, try Le Loup's freezer technique before you give up.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Dale,

Sorry to hear of the rotten luck! Did you, or can you try squirting a little penetrating oil such as Kroil into the area and let it set for a while? That Kroil really does seem like good stuff. Maybe that along with the freezer method may do it.

Boolit Mold
    I have a RCBS .223 die with a case lodged in it. Currently it has been in the deep freeze for a month. I hope to get it going again soon though.

Boolit Master
    I too have a problem, I have the neck from a .22 Hornet stuck in a RCBS die. Now what do I do.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Le Loup Solitaire

Cases stuck in dies

The freezer method has worked; brass expands and/or contracts more than steel. But it is not so much how long one leaves the die in the freezer....naturally you have to give it time to get down to the surrounding temperature. What counts is the lowest temp that you can get it down to. Freezers usually go down to minus in the single digits and thats all. Should work. What will really do the job is dry ice and that will work quickly. Problem is where the devil do you find that??? Ice Cream making facility? Deep freeze cold storage for Laboratory? Somebody has it around. I don't think that whoever it is would charge you anything just for putting the die in whatever receptacle they have for a few minutes. If you can locate a facility bring somethings to tap the case out or pull it out with. After a few minutes in the dry ice it'll probably just fall out on its own anyway. Should work with the section of neck stuck in the 223 die. Tapping the bottom of the die in a horizontal position should draw the neck backward the bottom of the die/mallet. Watch out!!!! for handling dry ice or anything that has been keeping company with it--- as it will inflict instant deep frostbite and kill your skin as in serious burn condition, so wear adequate protection on your hands!!! LLS

Boolit Master
    Not for that reason, but I have removed all the decappers from my sizing dies (straight wall pistol dies). I start with virgin brass, and use a universal decapping die before tossing all into the tumbler. That would help I suppose if that ever happened. Not since before I got carbide dies have I had a stuck case, then only because I was'nt paying attention. Not really an option for you rifle guys.
    Last edited by wallenba; 08-24-2009 at 04:13 PM.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Mold
    Walmart sells dry ice. There up by the cash regesters in our stores.

Boolit Bub

gear up

Not trying to take over thread... BUT! AF IP was letting a student make a landing in the Cessna Skymaster (twin engine). Student turned final and slowed down. Stall warning horn started to blare. IP waited......then said, "That horn is sure loud." "Yes Sir!"...........tried again, "why don't you do something about it." "Yes Sir!"..........student turned stall warning horn off. I was not on board. hehehe greg

Boolit Bub
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSzkdqM45KE&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piTWc...eature=related

These are 2 youtube sites that show how to remove stuck cases. The first is for a Lee die, the second for RCBS.

[QUOTE=4570guy;429466]I figure stuck cases are sort of like gear up landings and chronographs with bullet holes in them -- there are those who have and those who will (I'm still in the latter category on those fortunately).

Actually, there are three categories: Those who have, those who will, and those who will again.

Boolit Master

I have done this and so far it has worked . Take your decap rod and pull it tight in the neck. then unscrew it then take a stiff rod {I used stainless welding rod with the flux removed} tap it lightly to drive the expander back in the case. Take the rod and feel your way to the head of case. Leave die in the press and hit the rod . You need a good hard blow .
    I did buy a case remover set but so far this has worked.
    Oh cut case in half to get you expander out

Boolit Master

well as I said I have done it the hard way. I just got a set off Feebay that had a 270 in it the rod didnt work, I do have the RCBS case remover. Had to put a wrench on the allan thing to pull it . but worked like a charm Had NO lube on case

Boolit Man

Freezer trick

Well if the freezer is not cold enough.... use caution with the next plan!
    Take a 5 gal propane tank and turn upside down ... this should be away from anything with electrical goods ...fans ..refrig...out the house ....hold the die with long pliers..... turn on the liquid propane ....will really freeze anything ...COLD...will freeze beer too! Don't ask how I know!

Jimmy

By the way ...anybody thought about using one of those sheet metal screws, like they put metal roofing on with, instead of drilling and tapping? The screw would drill and tap it's self
    Last edited by JimKirk; 09-09-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: add text

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Interesting - in over 20 years of reloading I've never stuck a case- Knock on wood! I do have a number of cases with little creases in the shoulders, however.
    I did this early in life. I missed lubing a 308 case and cranked the handle on my Rock Chucker. My reloading bench was really built solid with oak 2x12 lumber. At least I thought so!
    I cranked the handle, the oak 2x12 splintered and the Rock Chucker went swinging through the air. At least I held onto the handle and kept my Rock Chucker from going through the wall or hitting the floor.
    I was reloading in a friend's closet in those days as all my goodies weren't allowed in the barracks. The lumber yard closed at 5:00 PM and I couldn't get there in time to buy another.

Boolit Master

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    I did this early in life. I missed lubing a 308 case and cranked the handle on my Rock Chucker. My reloading bench was really built solid with oak 2x12 lumber. At least I thought so!
    I cranked the handle, the oak 2x12 splintered and the Rock Chucker went swinging through the air. At least I held onto the handle and kept my Rock Chucker from going through the wall or hitting the floor.
    I was reloading in a friend's closet in those days as all my goodies weren't allowed in the barracks. The lumber yard closed at 5:00 PM and I couldn't get there in time to buy another.
    Ron they must have called you Brass ARM back in those days!

Boolit Master
    How does this happen? I am sure one day I will do it but how should I avoid it?
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Christensen View Post
    How does this happen? I am sure one day I will do it but how should I avoid it?
    In those days I used the RCBS case lube pad and their tube of lube.
    Now I use Dillon spray lube on a cookie sheet of brass.
    For just that stray case now and then I use Imperial sizing wax.

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    In those days I used the RCBS case lube pad and their tube of lube.
    Now I use Dillon spray lube on a cookie sheet of brass.
    For just that stray case now and then I use Imperial sizing wax.
    I use only Imperial sizing wax or Hornady Unique sizing wax. Both are oustanding cases lubricants.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"