RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Remove a Stuck Case from a Sizing Die

Thumbs up How to Remove a Stuck Case from a Sizing Die

I figure stuck cases are sort of like gear up landings and chronographs with bullet holes in them -- there are those who have and those who will (I'm still in the latter category on those fortunately).

Well, it finally happened to me the other day. I guess it was too little case lube, but I firmly stuck a .30-06 case in my RCBS full length sizing die.

For those who have yet to do this, here is a handy link regarding how to remove said case:

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/relo...eloading2.html

The only thing I did differently was that I re-installed the die back into my single-stage press before applying the wrench to the bolt. I found that this worked a little better than holding the die in the vise -- and it kept the vice from boogering up the die. Also, I used a socket for the spacer. The method worked great!

Boolit Mold
    After I had been reloading about a year I stuck a case and went to my mentor for instruction. With a big grin, he handed me a kit with a drill bit, tap, bolt and spacer turned on his lathe. He told me he had made it and had been holding it for me since I bought the equipment, because he knew that I would need it someday. His instructions were " if ya can't figger out how to use it, ya better leave dem guns alone 'fore ya get hurt!" Darn, I miss him. Really, I would have appreciated the link (if there had been one in those days). I'm sure it will save some ruined dies for the unlearned.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've seen something similar to this before. Thanks for posting it. I'm going to acquire the tap I need. Not for if but for when.

Shiloh

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    Forster and any number of companies make a little kit with everything you need to remove a stuck case. All you need is an electric drill. I've had one on my bench for maybe forty or fifty years. Comes in handy when you have a brain fart.

Cheers,

Phil

Boolit Master
    I have bored a hole in the case and used a slide hammer to remove it.

I don't fly so I can't comment on the gear up landing. The chronograph, well lets just stay on the subject of stuck cases.

beemer

Boolit Master
    I stuck a 9mm in a Lee die yesterday. I just loosened theI just loosened the decapping stem clamp nut and smacked the end of the decapping pin. There wasn't quite enough travel so i turned the end of a brass punch to fit into the clamp nut and drove the decapping pin on down. There was no damage to the decapping pin and it was the easiest stuck case that I have ever removed. And to think that I did not care for the Lee decapping punch setup before this. Neil

Boolit Mold
    Nice tutorial.

Last time I stuck a case (In a LEE) i just loosened the nut, pulled out the decapping stem and used a brass rod and a hammer to punch out the case.

I don't quite get the meaning of this:
    This shows why you want your case stuck in an RCBS die rather than a Lee die. The RCBS de-capping assembly can be moved out of the way, as it is much shorter than the Lee assembly; also, the RCBS de-capping pin is replaceable.
    But maybe my case was just stuck, not STUCK! (It did not stop me from tearing the rim off the case, though)

Quote Originally Posted by 4570guy View Post
    I figure stuck cases are sort of like gear up landings and chronographs with bullet holes in them -- there are those who have and those who will (I'm still in the latter category on those fortunately).

Well, it finally happened to me the other day. I guess it was too little case lube, but I firmly stuck a .30-06 case in my RCBS full length sizing die.

For those who have yet to do this, here is a handy link regarding how to remove said case:

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/relo...eloading2.html

The only thing I did differently was that I re-installed the die back into my single-stage press before applying the wrench to the bolt. I found that this worked a little better than holding the die in the vise -- and it kept the vice from boogering up the die. Also, I used a socket for the spacer. The method worked great!
    Had I read this sooner I would had just offered to have you send it to me for I have a RCBS stuck case remover I have only used once in 27 years.
    45-70's rock by the way.

Hey, I've got one of those chrony's that have been ventilated, so to speak, by a 540 gr 45-70 ahead of 71 grs of Swiss 1 1/2. Makes an interesting conversation piece. Got a stuck case remover also, use it every once in a while; just a cost of doing business, and the occasional brain fart from old age.
    McLintock

LOL! -- Regarding that Chrony -- I'd say you need to move your sights several clicks to the right. That would make a great conversation piece; and yes, 45-70s do rock

Boolit Buddy
    i sent my stuck case back to LEE since i could not get the de priming rod out, they charged me four bucks turn around time was 5 days.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Master
    refractorius,
    Your case must have been a straight wall case, like a 9mm, or 38 special. A bottle neck case is whole different problem.

With a bottle neck case, the decap rod also has an expander ball on it. The resize die sizes down the neck as the case goes in, then the expander ball opens the neck up to the proper size to hold the bullet as the case comes out.

the problem happens when the case gets stuck at / near all the way in the die. the case neck is then being held tight by the die (it's being sized down) and therefore can't expand to let the expander ball pass. To force the expander ball to pass would be drawing the case neck very thin, if possible at all, and would require a huge amount of force.

I know i couldn't get it out of a 30-06 case when this happened to me.

hope this helps.

LB

Le Loup Solitaire

Stuck case removal from Die.

For those using lee dies, it usually works to follow their instructions and loosen the decappping rod and knock the case out with it. Sometimes cases are stuck stubbornly or one is using dies other than Lee. The following has worked and it is certainly worth a try; Take the die with the stuck case in it and put it in the freezer for a while. The coefficient of expansion (and contraction) for brass is greater than steel and the brass will contract more than the die body. It will then be easier to tap or pull the case out of the die. You will have to keep the die body dry/wiped afterward to prevent any condensation from causing rust and then oil it inside and out with a patch on a jag and/or a Q-tip. LLS

Boolit Mold

stuck case remover

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting - in over 20 years of reloading I've never stuck a case- Knock on wood! I do have a number of cases with little creases in the shoulders, however.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Lyman

Yeah, my first time bottle neck resizing session was a disaster.

Major stuck case - I really didn't want to booger up my new .223 die, but I had completely torn away any brass which I was able to grip with various devices.
    The body of the case was STILL stuck.

Called up Lyman, I just had to pay shipping one way - they removed the case, sent me a nice little note, and shipped it back to me for free.

Only one more time since, and I already saw the link with the tap, bolt, & socket removal method.

Went to Imperial sizing wax, and haven't had any trouble since...

Fritz.

Boolit Master
    Way back in 1958 @ 14 as I was trying to learn these things on my own.
    I stuck an '06 in a Herter's die. Did the same things shown here.
    Only my solution was having a short pc of round and drilled a 1/4" hole thru it, counter drilled about 3/4 thru to make a "Cup" that would go over the case head but, touch the die. Then drilled & tapped it same as here.

Being a kid thinking I could send my idea to Herter's and make a few bucks for yrs. I made another and mailed it to them. Until this time they hadn't listed one before. I never heard back from them about it. BUT: the very next catalog started carrying them.

I've made a couple hundred to donate to friends since when I've had access to a lathe.

Whether I invented the idea or not. Wouldn't want to claim either way. But, sure felt like it as they carried just about everything in the world in those inch thick monthly catalogs and didn't have that item until the next one came out after getting mine.
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

Boolit Mold
    Another way is to use a 1" black iron pipe cap with a hole drilled in it to pass the screw. This is kinda what the RCBS stuck case remover is. I've only needed it twice in 40 years but it kept me going (except when I pulled the top off of the shell holder. Then I had to wait till Monday).

Gentlemen,

I have had a stuck case twice that I remember. Hate it when that happens!!! Fortunately I had a fairly nice set of taps and dies from when I worked as an auto mechanic and removed the offending case in a manner nearly identical to the link. The method also works for removing a stuck case in a chamber in the event of a head separation (I hate it when that happens, too). The tap must be chosen judiciously and used carefully in either instance so as to not ding the die or chamber. I never had a gear up landing and have not yet shot up my chrono, thank the good Lord. I guess two of three is not too bad!

In Remembrance

I stuck a case in a Lee 7mm mag. die a few months ago. I tried the stuck case removal feature and pounded the decap pin until I ruined it. I then tried the standard dirll, tap, and bolt method, but only succeeded in stripping the threads. I drilled and tapped to the next larger bolt size with the same results. I had ordered the new decapping pin before the failure by drill and tap method, so I'll probably just order the new die body from Lee. I am not sure, but I think I lubed the case with RCBS case lube on a pad, but may have somehow gotten a dry case in the bunch. It is solidly stuck! I'd like to get it out just to see what it looks like in there.