Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lead anyone?

Well, even if it was shielding. It can't become radioactive itself. Gamma rays are stopped by shielding but are just energy, not something that still exists once stopped. Beta particles have no penatration ability. Yes, they still have some radiation emmision, but cannot even penetrate clothing. If you hosed off the pile (on the Kennedys lawn maybe) all that would wash off.
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggdit View Post
    Well, even if it was shielding. It can't become radioactive itself. Gamma rays are stopped by shielding but are just energy, not something that still exists once stopped. Beta particles have no penatration ability. Yes, they still have some radiation emmision, but cannot even penetrate clothing. If you hosed off the pile (on the Kennedys lawn maybe) all that would wash off.
    Now I like that about the Kennedy's lawn.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

Boolit Buddy

I know someone who would love to go in with me on the lot at Sharpe's. The only problem is that 10k weight. I can take a ton easy, even 1,5 ton has been in the PU. But that 10k monster .... just no way do I have the wherewithal to move the sucker. And the stuff is just down the freeway from me, too!
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OeldeWolf View Post
    I know someone who would love to go in with me on the lot at Sharpe's. The only problem is that 10k weight. I can take a ton easy, even 1,5 ton has been in the PU. But that 10k monster .... just no way do I have the wherewithal to move the sucker. And the stuff is just down the freeway from me, too!
    UHaul $39.99 daily rental.

Yeah, but do they have an overhead crane to set it on a trailer? 10k is not going to magically find it's way on to a trailer. I would tend to expect it is sitting within range of one, how else did they place it where it is. Problem is, they might have used a portable crane that is not available to the winner of the auction.
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Boolit Master

I took another look at the picture of the 10k piece. It looks like lead was poured into a steel box. You would have to cut away the steel before you could chainsaw chunks off of the block. It looks like it is upside down and has an iron pallet welded to the bottom. I don't know much about forklifts, how much can one lift?

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

The ones I used in college could only handle a few thousand pounds. But that was smaller propane units. Larger gas or diesel units would be more, but I question 10K. It is the position of the weight compared to the wheelbase that decides. I flipped a crane once (with feet down!) thinking I had 5/8 sidewall 36" pipe (30' long) when it turned out to be 15" sidewall 36" pipe for steam in a nuke plant. It had end caps on and was not labeled properly. I was fine until I swung it out 40' to load on the trailer. Instead of 4K it was 45K. Boss was upset, but not really mad at me. He told me to move it...

Boolit Master

When I looked into buying surplus military brass, there was a notation that they'd (the military) would load it on your vehicle for you. Don't know how they'd feel about loading the lead for you, but it would be worth asking the "point-of-contact" fellow at the local base whose name and number is usually provided if you look around/follow enough links. If you win, you'll certainly get his name and number!
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Buddy

U-Haul... now there is a thought. And maybe rent a plasma cutter and use my HEPA respirator to remove the steel case. But I wonder where to get a crane to remove it from the truck once here.

At least nobody would be stealing THAT out of the yard...
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Boolit Master

But I wonder where to get a crane to remove it from the truck once here.
    Back up real fast and slam on the brakes.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

Quote Originally Posted by snaggdit View Post
    The ones I used in college could only handle a few thousand pounds. But that was smaller propane units. Larger gas or diesel units would be more, but I question 10K. It is the position of the weight compared to the wheelbase that decides.
    10K is not a large load for an appropriate sized forklift.
    Our forklift is rated at 21K. I routinely move 10K of pipe spread over 8' forks.

I tried to talk the HMFWIC into a 50K machine. Now thats a forklift.

Boolit Master

Ya. But would it cost to rent one for a day?

Cast Boolits Search Tool