Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: FYI, RG 4895 8lb at Wideners

Boolit Mold

FYI, RG 4895 8lb at Wideners

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...ir=278|283|313

I've got my WC, so its up to you guys!

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    For just $9 more(for 8lbs) you can buy commercial cannister powder, so why bother w/surplus?

Boolit Master

Widener's list (out of stock) IMR 4895 @ $137. That's $28 more than the in-stock surplus @ $109. Differnce pays hazmat and might as well get several of what you can while you can .
    Thanks for the heads up, bfoosh006 !

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    Widener's list (out of stock) IMR 4895 @ $137. That's $28 more than the in-stock surplus @ $109. Differnce pays hazmat and might as well get several of what you can while you can .
    Thanks for the heads up, bfoosh006 !

I was thinking of the ramshot powders they have in stock!

Boolit Bub
    I was thinking the same thing as you cosmoline one. Not enought cheaper than Ramshoot TAC.

Maybe 85 for 8lb

Boolit Buddy
    TAC is not the best for the 30-06 Garand loads, the RG-4895 will fill the needs of the Garand shooter nicely.

I have my stash of 4064 or I would buy it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmoline one View Post
    For just $9 more(for 8lbs) you can buy commercial cannister powder, so why bother w/surplus?
    Amen!!

Surplus powder was a great deal when it was half or two thirds of cannister grade powder. Box cars full volumes of it were sold. When supplies got low, the prices naturally went up. It went to where it was 15%-20% less, and has now virtually reached parity with cannister powder.

Good powder, but no longer a great value for what it is.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Thanks bfoosh006 for the heads up. I was looking for some 4895. My order arrived yesterday.

Ed

Banned
    In talking to a powder tech at Hodgdon, we discussed the various 4895 powders. H4895, IMR4895, and Accurate's version of 4895..oh and the surplus. The one that IS different is H4895. I've had that surplus 4895 and it's good stuff. I loaded some 32 Special cast loads with all of them at the same time and found this: 1 The only one that didn't weigh the same for the charge was H4895. 2 When firing all four of them over the chrono there was only 9 fps difference between them. I mentioned this to the Hodgdon man and he said yeah, that surplus is one of the other three, that surplus and the other three use about the same recipe, and the same deterrent coating. He asked if I noticed if H4895 looked a different color which I said yes. He said that's because Hodgdon controls the burn rate by other means and the very very light coat of graphite is merely for better flow through powder measures and to cut static...where as the other's use heavy graphite for a burn deterrent.

Bottom line....that surplus is more then likely IMR and it's cheaper. You're crazy thinking it's not as good as commercial canister powder.

Joe

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmoline one View Post
    Something is better then nothing, and I'm not going to use TAC in my M21.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Amen!!

Surplus powder was a great deal when it was half or two thirds of cannister grade powder. Box cars full volumes of it were sold. When supplies got low, the prices naturally went up. It went to where it was 15%-20% less, and has now virtually reached parity with cannister powder.

Good powder, but no longer a great value for what it is.

Shiloh
    I wish the price was lower..I also miss the dirt cheap prices of years past. Plus for me it would be something "different",... kinda the classic "You'll never know, if you don't try".
    And I feel sorry for all the newbie reloaders, they are the ones paying for their hobby. And I know how frustrating it can be to want to reload some ammo..., but not have the propellant/primer you want. So posting any info about surplus powder could be helpful to someone interested in trying something different.Most of my propellant, primers, cases, bullets, and surplus ammo was bought in the "cheap" ol' days.
    So I'm lucky ...

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverrat View Post
    Thanks bfoosh006 for the heads up. I was looking for some 4895. My order arrived yesterday.

Ed

I rest my case...

Boolit Mold
    One thing you muct rember about bulk powder is that you can get quite a veration from lot to lot and you need to rework up your load with every new lot. The last surplus powder I got was AA-2230-C. I bought 48 lbs. of it so I would not have to work up loads every year. I also start down more than 10% of any data for them because they are not tested and held to the srandards of canister powder for lot to lot burn rate. I have used alot of different bulk powders and have found that they are usually slower than the burn rate they claim, BUT, I did get one, one time that was at max. load 15% lower than recomanded data. I used to start 15% down and that was were I finished on that one, I now start down 20%, but if no presure signs I work up alittle faster at the start.

Boolit Bub
    So guys what is the concensus? Use the RG-4895 or switch to some other powder. I can't find any 4895 except in 1lb cans at $20 plus shipping. Thanks Mac

Powder valley has IMR4320/8lbs in stock for $130ish + shipping and hazmat.

They also have TAC for $108/8lbs.

What's wrong with TAC in 150 grain Garand loads?