WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'bout to give up on my .308!! NEED HELP!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by squid1230 View Post
    GDS - how does the 1919 like the chocolate bullets? Or were those for the kids?

My eldest is 5 and I'm thinking about getting him to come with me to the range sometime, any tips on not scaring the beejeesus out of them?
    The chocolate bullets ended up being for everyone but me. The left over cans are fun for storing stuff in though, and obviously do good for feeding the 1919.

With kids #1 is hearing protection, obvious I know. I first start out relatively young, about 3 just taking them with me to watch. Of course my range is 75 ft behind my house. After a few times they will want to shoot something. I start with a .22 revolver. I hold it and cock the hammer and let them pull the trigger. Usually that clinches it.

Its also good to use a reactive target, a soda can a piece of fruit, or a spinning target, or even just a piece of metal that dings when hit, something so they can see or hear a reaction. That really helps. A cheap spray pain can is really fun.

I also don't put anything in their hands that will have more recoil until they are ready. Except My oldest, but he had fired a .410 when he was really small that hurt, it took a little while to help him get over that. He was twelve before I had to force him to fire his Ak47. Now he likes shooting almost all of my arsenal.

With kids wait to put the powerful recoil stuff in their hands until they have been completely hooked, and they have a little meat on their bones. Also that they can laugh at themselves. Then when they end up on their rear, they will be able to laugh with everyone else.
    Last edited by gds; 06-28-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Went out a purchased some H-4895 and have loaded a few (different boolits and different powder weights) ,, hope to give them a try late this afternoon -- too darn HOT during the day!!

Well, I have met with some limited success. Pushing the 180gr cast boolit ahead of a full charge of 2400, 4 of the 5 rounds loaded extracted and chambered the next round in the M1A Scout. Accuracy was not so good ... H-4895 is beginning to show some good promise -- with both my 180gr and 195gr cast boolits. Even the minimum load extracted and chambered the next round. Accuracy was better with the H4895 but not where it needs to be. Will be working on some specific loads with this powder.

Thanks to all who help guide me duing this quest!!

Now you have the right powder you can work on loads. My M14S(Polytech) and M1A NM both shoot cast well. Keep us posted.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine