Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Way to Clean Bullets

Boolit Mold

Way to Clean Bullets

I came across 2k 38 Caliber bullets at a pawn shop at a cheap price because they had been setting around collecting dust in an open container. Can these bullets be cleaned and delubed? I would like to shoot them rather than melt them down. Any thoughts on the subject?

Boolit Grand Master

You can put them in a bucket of water and heat the water until the lube floats to the top. Cut the heat off and carefully pour the water off. The lube normally floats to the top and is easily skimmed off. That is if the lube is "normal". There are high temperature lubes that may not work well with this plan. Then carefully and gently pour the bullets onto a dry turkish towel and gently towel them dry. Re-lube and you are back in business.

I suggest that you NOT use your wife's favorite sauce pan for this procedure...

Good luck!

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Onced upon a time I would buy commercial cast from a friend but I didn't like the hard wax lube they came with. I don't load large quantities at a time so I would use a shallow pan on a hot plate in the garage (probably wouldn't use this method in the kitchen) and melt the lube over a medium heat. Picked the boolits out with a needle nose plyers and would relube them with FWFL. They usually worked OK but not as good as casting them myself.

Cut th top off a 2 liter pop bottle, pour in bullet's till it's half full and then add gasoline to the 3/4 full point.

Let sit for a couple day's and the bullet's should all be lube free.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Old lube

I found some bullets I cast and lubed maybe in 1975. The lube was dry and brittle. So I added some Lee Liquid Alox and tumble lubed them. The LLA combined with the old lube just fine, and the bullets also shot just fine.

I found a box with a 1000 200 gr RNFP in 430 dia.I used a basket from a baby sized deep fryer. Dip em in boiling water and all clean in 5 minutes.Worked like a champ.
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies! I may have to try all 5 different ways. I was thinking that boiling them would work but wanted other options.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter575
    I found a box with a 1000 200 gr RNFP in 430 dia.I used a basket from a baby sized deep fryer. Dip em in boiling water and all clean in 5 minutes.Worked like a champ.
    shooter, I see that your signature is a quote from Ambrose Bierce, an all-time great curmudgeon, so you may lean that way, too. But advocating deep-frying babies? That may be going a little too far!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by NVcurmudgeon
    shooter, I see that your signature is a quote from Ambrose Bierce, an all-time great curmudgeon, so you may lean that way, too. But advocating deep-frying babies? That may be going a little too far!
    Don't forget Jonathan Swift, and his suggestion on eating English babies! Nothing wrong with eating them, as long as they are small enough, that the bones are still soft.

Banned

sorry but if theyd collected dust id be remelting them. I dont think a few thousand dirty bullets for free is worth a damaged barrel. Melt them and recast them.

I have to agree with curmudgeon. Too much cholesterol in fried foods.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Bub
    Hey guys. Get it right. those were Irish babies.

Right you are, and how negligent of us not to have noticed earlier.

http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw