Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .218 Bee works

Boolit Buddy
    Sweet rifle and a great bird!

I wish we could use rifles here. My .32 caplock would be a blast to hunt turkey with!!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I'd love to take my LTR in 223 out for turkey! I have a load with 40 grain vmax and 27 grains of benchmark that will shoot .2" to .3" at 200 yards. Have another load with 25.2 grains of H4895 and 25 grwins of benchmark with a 60 grain vmax that also voth shoot just as tight. I'd love to see what it would do on a turkey's waddles! I have it set up with a timney 1 1/4 pull and a leupold 4.5-14 vx111 bought for it back in day when I bought it around 00'/02'. The thing is a tac driver with every single load I've ladder tested in it. Don't think it's ever shot over a moa. Most groups are half-inch or less on average. Still working on my NEF 223 for accuracy. Next week I'll do a trigger job on it. Love those little single shots!!!!!

Here's my first season bird. It's been a tough year. Hopefully 6th, and final one week, season will be better.

Here's my 26 pound 2oz rotted bearded bird...

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-22-2024 at 07:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaverhunter2 View Post
    Sweet rifle and a great bird!

I wish we could use rifles here. My .32 caplock would be a blast to hunt turkey with!!
    I could get excited about turkey hunting if I could use the TC .32 Cherokee, too.

Boolit Master
    you can use those same bee slugs in a 22-250 and easily rip both lungs out of any monster buck

Speaking of muzzleloader for turkey, I can tell you for certain that a .490” rb will deliver a dinner!
    And yes, I’d shoot an unalarmed deer within 100 yards with the Bee using high velocity jacketed bullets.
    That’s also legal here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Glad you got your bird. In my younger days I was hell on turkeys, spring and fall. When Marlin came out with the 1894 in 218 Bee I thought it was just right for turkey and got one. Shot one gobbler at about 50 yards, after thrashing around for a minute he got up and ran away, dragging a wing. That was it for me, went to .222 Rem. Never looked back.

That being said I shot one at point blank range with a .270 Winchester, feathers went everywhere. Just as I was closing the bolt on another round he left like a hellicopter. Did not find him either.

I’ve switched to varmint loads for the summer.
    13 grs 4227 with the 40 gr Hornady Zmax(I’ll miss them) and CCI 400 primers.
    This is at 100 yards on 1/4” steel.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’m sure a good explosive little fragile bullet like that is key for dumping them on the spot. I would also assume you aim straight up from the leg where the wing folds in to the body just like an archery shot….if you’re not trying to head shoot them, which is probably almost impossible the way they wiggle around.

Have you ever done any trigger work on it and tried to float the fore end?

I had to go to a graduation party out-of-state and got back late yesterday afternoon and went out for a few hours. It was the most productive day that I’ve heard gobbling in the last month and a half! I had three gobblers from 330 till the 70 mile an hour wind hit at 6 o’clock and flooding. None of them ever showed up but a hen did right when it started storming and I got locked down by her in my blind. She hunkered down right next to my decoys at 15 yards during a massive rain down fall. 10 minutes later that 60 to 70 mile an hour wind started blowing and she took off to head for a tree. Not a fun drive home needless to say trees laying all over the road and flooding going across most the roads as well. About 10 yard visibility so I drove about 20 to 30 miles an hour.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-22-2024 at 07:00 PM.

In the past I’ve used .222, .223, and 22-250 and bigger calibers - and placement is important to prevent meat damage with high velocity jacketed bullets.
    This one with the .218 was with a cast flat nose bullet- it worked fine and didn’t tear up anything edible.