MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Diy small critter cage trap

Diy small critter cage trap

Tweaked this off of a design I saw in the story but they wanted $67 ! Really easy to build as long as you can bend and cut some wire and use a set of rabbit cage pliers lol

A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Slick

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Great project, well done!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

Nice job!
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

Boolit Grand Master

We had a wood form made 6" square 2' long would cut the wire so both lengths had the wires sticking out open ended. bend around form and wrap wires around the main and sides.Doors were cut slightly smaller smooth sided . used them in muskrat runs and holes below water line. they work good and are easy to make as said. we would buy a roll of wire every couple years and add to our collection. I believe we used heavy dykes to cut and bend wire.
    I think the best we did was in a fresh heavy run to a den hole was 4 muskrats in one trap in one night. The animal goes in is caught and the trap is rest.

You did a great job Wolf.

Boolit Master
    Another excellent posting of a good DIY job.

Here's an idea.

That trap will catch (1) animal normally. Here's how to make it a multi-catch trap.

Make it about 6"-12" longer.
    Then, make one door,, (or as country gent mentions, like a muskrat trap, doors on each end.)
    BUT,, the difference is this.
    Make the door piece longer, by about 3"-4" over the size of the opening. Attach it 1-2 sections inside the trap,, and fold the "ledge" to where the door, at rest,, is angled inward, and the ledge is about 3" long. They enter from the open end,, pushing to door inward, and after in, it closes behind them by just gravity. If the try & push it from the inside,, they will not only be standing on the "ledge" they will be pushing against the angle. I have some 3ft to 3-1/2 ft long squirrel traps like this. I place them over a hole in a house. As the squirrels exit the hole, they get in the trap,, and it'll catch multiples easily.

Boolit Master

I like DIY, but not worth my time. https://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-g...ers-traps.html

Boolit Master
    Harbor freight traps are junk that need work to make them effective.

Boolit Grand Master

Evern the hav a heart traps have the doors backwards allowing the animals tail to keep it from locking and allowing them to get out.The trap shown dosnt let this happen as the doors angle is right and they cant get under it.

Boolit Master

We have caught 3 feral cats to have them fixed/vaccinated and released and they worked fine for us. Nothing is perfect for everyone.

Rabbit cage pliers.

Had to look them up.

Learn new, weird stuff every day.

Had no idea they were even a thing and I've got probably 30+ different styles of pliers.

Moderator Emeritus

Raccoons are dirty animals. I recommend soaking that trap in a garbage can full of water if you catch one or a skunk. 30 minutes is generally long enough before you open it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I once made a pretty cool cage for a sugar glider.
    Never did get a sugar glider and ended up giving the cage away.
    Decided I liked dogs better.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Raccoons are dirty animals. I recommend soaking that trap in a garbage can full of water if you catch one or a skunk. 30 minutes is generally long enough before you open it.
    .22 to the dome , pull them out , fresh dirt on the bottom,keep going. About anything else is a waste or time
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Raccoon makes one helluva bean soup. I have many quarts of coon on my shelf. Tastes like pork.