Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: truck bed cover

My experiance with bed covers, several types, is thay all suck. So I just went down and bought a new Yukon XL Denali with a sealing and locking 12' roof carrier that I used when I had to carry five or six folks on a trip, no leaks, no break ins. Easy, peasy, every body in the wagon, and away we go down the road, in style. Only thing with them, is when the electronics start to screw up, and they will, pull the eject handle.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Had a hard cover on my 5'5" truck box, It was a pain the the posterior.
    not to mention there are gravel roads here and a rock can bounce off a trailer and take out the rear window after bouncing on the cover. Had this happen twice. $1100 for the rear window, $1500 for a hard fibreglass cap. Far less expensive that replacing the rear window. Put a lexan rear window in the Cap. Drilled the cap and put a carry rack on it.
    Had the hard cover freeze solid a couple of times too and could not get it open.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had two. A BakFlip on an F350 and and a Rough Country on a F150. Both hard tri-folds.

If you ride dusty roads the bed and stuff in it will be covered in dust. They shed water OK...not perfect but very well. Nothing stops the dust.

I will never buy another one but I live where I travel 5 miles to get to a paved road.

I wonder if a cap will work to keep the dust out?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have had two. A BakFlip on an F350 and and a Rough Country on a F150. Both hard tri-folds.

If you ride dusty roads the bed and stuff in it will be covered in dust. They shed water OK...not perfect but very well. Nothing stops the dust.

I will never buy another one but I live where I travel 5 miles to get to a paved road.

I wonder if a cap will work to keep the dust out?
    A cap is much better at keeping dust out. You do have to find a way to seal the tailgate. I have found that opening the front window on the cap keeps up air pressure inside the cap reducing dust leaks
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    I priced out caps - average price was around $4000. Ouch. I just got a Rough Country bed mat, and the soft roll-up cover is on the way. Should be all I need. I had caps on the two PUs I owned - F100 and Chevy S10 - and I found that I used the beds like a garage. I need a garage.
    My son in law has a tri-fold cover and he says it's great when it comes to clearing snow off, but I like snow in the bed for the weight.

On a side note - the F150 I just got has a trailer back up assist feature. I don't have a trailer, but it looks interesting.