Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: .44 Spcl and Mag Wad Cutter loads for target and Self Defense

Boolit Mold

Question .44 Spcl and Mag Wad Cutter loads for target and Self Defense

I received 200 Bullets from MATT"S BULLETS. They are VERY light weight 150 grain .44 Wad-cutters! Any ideas on loads to experiment with using these almost comical looking BOOLITS? They are sized to cylinder throats, and I will be using them in a Model 69 S&W 2.75" or a 2.25" Charter Arms Bulldog.[B]

Also Wad-cutters in 175, 185, 216 grain sizes using Bullseye, Unique/Universal/Red Dot. Any ideas or suggestions welcomed and THANKS!

Boolit Master
    They will probably shoot low. I tried some of those from Matt's in my Ruger Old Model 45 with 7-1/2" barrel and ran out of elevation adjustment. However, it might not be as noticeable from a shorter barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a big Wadcutter Fan ... 38 Special , 357 and 41 magnum ...
    My Daughter has a 44 Special and these are the favorite loads we have worked up
    with the NOE 432-226-WC PB ... a 226 grain plain based, button nosed , cast wadcutter.

You can use these loads with the lighter ... 150 gr. , 175 gr. , 185 gr. and 216 gr. wadcutters safely and as a good starting point .
    All loads were crimped in the top crimp groove on the button nose WC and loaded in 44 special cases .

6.0 grs. Unique
    5.5 grs . W231 / HP-38
    4.5 grs. Red Dot
    4.5 grs. TiteGroup

These are easy shooting and accurate loads in my Daughter's snub-nosed Taurus 445.

I hope they help you
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Super Moderator

I use a wadcutter boolit in my 5-1/2" Ruger 44 Mag SBH and in a 14" Contender. The mold is from Accurate and is labeled 43-190W. It casts closer to 200 grains with my alloy, and is very, very accurate with 6.0 grains of Bullseye in both guns.

Boolit Mold
    Light loads tend to shoot low as they are out of the barrel before the recoil raises the trajectory. However, with wadcutters, your intended target for practical use is probably within 15 feet, so it shouldn't be of great concern.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    They will probably shoot low. I tried some of those from Matt's in my Ruger Old Model 45 with 7-1/2" barrel and ran out of elevation adjustment. However, it might not be as noticeable from a shorter barrel.
    Thanks for the feed back! The 69 has adjustables, and the C.A. I am not troubled by filing down the front sight to s good self-defense load. Thanks again!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I'm a big Wadcutter Fan ... 38 Special , 357 and 41 magnum ...
    My Daughter has a 44 Special and these are the favorite loads we have worked up
    with the NOE 432-226-WC PB ... a 226 grain plain based, button nosed , cast wadcutter.

You can use these loads with the lighter ... 150 gr. , 175 gr. , 185 gr. and 216 gr. wadcutters safely and as a good starting point .
    All loads were crimped in the top crimp groove on the button nose WC and loaded in 44 special cases .

6.0 grs. Unique
    5.5 grs . W231 / HP-38
    4.5 grs. Red Dot
    4.5 grs. TiteGroup

These are easy shooting and accurate loads in my Daughter's snub-nosed Taurus 445.

I hope they help you
    Gary
    Deplorable here too!
    Thanks for the GREAT and informative reply Gary!
    I will use your info fo a good starting point!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I use a wadcutter boolit in my 5-1/2" Ruger 44 Mag SBH and in a 14" Contender. The mold is from Accurate and is labeled 43-190W. It casts closer to 200 grains with my alloy, and is very, very accurate with 6.0 grains of Bullseye in both guns.
    Thanks, I am a fan of Bullseye for these kinds of shooting!
    I love the location in AZ where you are at, ShooterAZ.

Boolit Mold
    You bet Caster1977. I am not adverse to filing the sights to shoot point of aim when I settle on a load for my purposes!
    WDW44

Boolit Master
    I am a big fan of wadcutters, but I like mine heavier. Sorry, no help to you!

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.