Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Batter fried common carp...I know!!!

Boolit Master

Carp are great! Grandma gave me her recipe Take the carp and nail it to a nice pine board. Roast in the oven for 1/2 hour. Remove the carp and bury in the vegetable garden. Then eat the pine board.

A lot of people parrot information about carp having never tried it or never tried it prepared well. Grew up near the Mississippi river and had lots of carp when I was younger. Like many fish the water quality can effect their taste. We'd catch them and leave them in a stock tank or kiddie pool with clean water for up to a week if the water they were caught in was poor. Make sure the water stays clean and change it if it starts getting cloudy. My favorite way is just corn breaded and fried, scoring the bones of course. Haven't had any in about 6-7 years when my son caught a decent sized one at an uncles lakehouse.

Boolit Buddy
    About 40 years ago I was fishing in a canal for small catfish under 12 inches (we liked to cut off the head and fry them whole in Georgia). I was doing pretty good but then caught a 2 foot carp. I took it off the hook in disgust and threw it back. There were a group of Chinese fishing across from me and when I tossed it back I heard all kinds of chatter. I have no idea what they said but I knew exactly what they were saying.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Cory ate a CARP???? Ewwwwwwwwww yuk. I can’t believe you did that. Oh my… you didn’t tell any of the locals did ya? I heard girls HATE guys that eat carp… gives em Bad Breath… ��

Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Carp are great! Grandma gave me her recipe Take the carp and nail it to a nice pine board. Roast in the oven for 1/2 hour. Remove the carp and bury in the vegetable garden. Then eat the pine board.
    Perhaps this is the secret???
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

I take carp, cut into cubes then pressure can. The bones just vanish and you can’t tell it from the finest canned tuna.
    Facta non verba

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I take carp, cut into cubes then pressure can. The bones just vanish and you can’t tell it from the finest canned tuna.
    Yeh, but the can looks different.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Cory ate a CARP???? Ewwwwwwwwww yuk. I can’t believe you did that. Oh my… you didn’t tell any of the locals did ya? I heard girls HATE guys that eat carp… gives em Bad Breath… ��

lol…

I actually speared the neighbors quite a few. He said he’s going to pickle them. The day I took those three they were coming up and rubbing up against my legs in the water. I probably could’ve fed a small country if I went to town on them. I went out the next day and tried to cherry pick a couple big ones for the neighbor. I hit two with a spear that were from my foot up past my belly button and I’m 6’ 2”. Needless to say, I was in waste, deep water and the fish one it knocked me over and almost took my spear! Two more came in the exact same size to see what was going on and I smacked the one right in the head in my whole spear vibrated and felt like I hit a rock and it pulled out too!!! After that I stuck to the ones 15 pounds and under. I would Assume those monsters had to be way over 60 pounds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Yeh, but the can looks different.
    You are not supposed to eat the can!
    Facta non verba

Mom fed us Carp Patties in lieu of Salmon patties and none of us ever complained. She canned it in mason jars when we’d get a bunch of Carp and Buffalo.

I eat smoked carp, besides baked . You can pickled it also .I do that with red horse. I use onions with it .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Growing up, we had fried carp most Fridays in the colder months. My grandfather was a commercial fisherman on Lake Erie. He sold fish by the ton to the east coast markets.

What carp was reserved for the family table was always in the winter months. The claim was the cold water took the "mud" taste out of the fish. Breaded and deep fried, ate a lot of it when I was a kid. Only complaint I had was the BONES!

There were always bones.

But the fresh french fries cooked in lard made up for the bones.

My mother even had a stove with a burner that was recessed into the top of the stove 6"+ to hold a fitted deep fryer pot.

Talk about being NOT heart healthy. She made 95, my dad 89.

Boolit Master
    Growing up in the Mississippi River flood plane we ate lots of bony fish growing up, common yellow carp and buffalo fish. From cold spring water there quite good eating. I always cutt out the ribs with only long bones, fileted like a normal fish, cut out the dark flesh and fried the quarters leaving the long y bones intact. Break the filets open and just pull the bones out as you eat. Buffalo fish where often baked in butter and dill. Now that the Asian carp is here, it's by far the best eating! Pure white fish. There is also a technique for fileting the bones out of them (hunt it up on YT). They sell it fileted and frozen at a fish market near Kentucky lake, I have some in my freezer now. Cook it any way you like, but we like it with blacked spice cooked on the flat top griddle with butter! If those Asian carp could be caught by hook and line bass fishing would die out!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    They're commercially fishing for the invasive Asian carp in the Mississippi river and others.
    They are the ones that jump out of the water when a boat goes by.
    They're pulling them out by the ton and selling them overseas.
    It's big, big business in some places.
    Yeah at its about the only way to get a bit of a hold on an invasive species. If they have a open market to sell them people will fish for them.

There are some really good videos on youtube about the asian carp.
    Guide services that will take you out, and when the boat goes along, they jump out of the water.
    Then you can shoot 'em with a bow & arrow. Or they tow a raft with a basketball net on it.
    The object is to have them jump out of the water and land in the net.

There are some places with electric fence type barriers in the water to keep them from going upstream
    to the Great Lakes. If they get into them--- it'll be a BIG problem.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    There are some really good videos on youtube about the asian carp.
    Guide services that will take you out, and when the boat goes along, they jump out of the water.
    Then you can shoot 'em with a bow & arrow. Or they tow a raft with a basketball net on it.
    The object is to have them jump out of the water and land in the net.

There are some places with electric fence type barriers in the water to keep them from going upstream
    to the Great Lakes. If they get into them--- it'll be a BIG problem.
    The best videos were of a couple crazy dudes with shotguns picking them off in the air. Don't know how legal it was, but it certainly looked like more fun than should be allowed.

Boolit Master
    Say what you will about the asian carp, but they are fine eating!

Boolit Bub
    Anyone have any experience eating the stocked Grass Carp? The one I just had was some of the best eating carp I've ever shot. We smoke then pressure can our carp to have on hand for happy hours. We have tried alot of different combinations and species. Spring fish from cold water and smoking with skin on are two of my recommendations. We used to target Buffalo when we could until we discovered Grass carp. Grass are much milder with white flaky meat. I have also noticed how much cleaner they seem to be inside the gut cavity. I always try to gut and ice fish asap while fishing.

So I believe all the grass carp I have shot and ate before were normal invasive type fish that reproduced naturally. Day before yesterday, I shot a big stocked Grass carp used to keep vegetation down on a bigger reservoir locally. The first thing I noticed was the gut was full of fat. This was a 48 lb. fish and the ball of fat in the gut was close to the size of a smaller basketball.

While I was smoking the fish a day later, I decided to try and fry a few pieces to see how it might be just browned and canned. Naturally, I had to taste some right off the fryer and WOW! It was like it was injected with butter. Especially the meat closer down by the belly. There the meat was almost just white fat.

So I am wondering if it's just a one off? Is it just a big fat fish or is it the sterile aspect like a steer in the beef world? I have looked around the internet a little but not any info specifically about it. Anyone have any experience? And yes, I know it is frowned upon to take stocked grass carp, here it was at least, legal.

I must relay, this fish spun the boat around a couple times and at right at first I really wondered what I got myself into. And if you are wondering... 24 pints.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    No but Buffalo is white meat vs the red oily common carp. Buffalo meat is excellent. I batter fried some a few years ago when last speared some.

Boolit Master
    It's my understanding they are basically the same fish.