RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brand new 16 gauge

Boolit Master

Still miss my 11-48. Was sold years ago to keep food on the table and gas in my car so I could get to work.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Mold
    I still have my GrandDads Remington model 11 in 16ga. I used it in the early 60's and 70's to do all my hunting and it still works great to this day.

Boolit Master
    I have not ever seen a 16 gauge on the used gun rack at my LGS since I retired in 1996. I put the word out to have the shop owner call me in case a 16 gauge ever shows up. Happily, my wife in 1985 gave me her deceased dad's Browning Sweet 16 as a wedding gift. Amen.

Adam

Boolit Master

I killed my first squirrel in 1960 when I was 6 with my dad's Stevens 107B single barrel (still have it). It almost knocked my down when I shot it, he always hunted squirrels with "hi-base" 6's, so I'm sure that's what I was shooting (all 45 lbs of me!). Anyway, for Christmas in 1969, I got a 16 ga Savage Stevens 311D double barrel (still have it). I hunted everything with that gun 'till I was out of college and working. I bought a couple 12's over the years, but went back to 16 when the last run of 16 ga Citori's was introduced. I now have 6 16's in all including a Sweet 16 made in 1967 that is in barely shot condition that belonged to my Brother in Law. I love 16 ga!

Boolit Master

There is ONLY one drawback to the 16 and that is reloading data and components to load it. Occasionally BP will have some but they are sold out in a hurry. Most of BP's 16 gauge load data is for components that are not available and is mostly their own brand which of course they do not have in stock. Don't waste your money on their 16 gauge loading book as they list loads with powder and wads no longer available. I love the 16 and wish the manufacturer's would stop trying to kill it off. james

Boolit Master
    Guys,

In my humble opinion, the corporate office leaders decided about 50-60 years ago to push the 12 and 20 gauge guns and ammo. The 16 gauge was left behind and that is reflected in the sparse loaded ammo now seen on the shelves. So sad....

Be well.

Adam

Boolit Master

Yeah, TN, and that situation has gotten worse during, and after the pandemic. Prior to that, I got all my stuff from them and usually didn't have much trouble. They have SOME hulls now . Wads seem to to present. I didn't check primers but they aren't gauge specific.