RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought My First Primers In Five Years

Boolit Grand Master

Bought My First Primers In Five Years

As the title states, I just bought 5,000 SP primers from Midsouth, Aguila, IRC. $369.00 with tax, no Hazmat, free shipping, delivered. Just about triple the cost of what my last purchase ran, back in 2019, but in line with what 22's are running these days, a shade over 7 cents a piece. Had I but known, I'd have doubled my purchases back then.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I think we all feel that way. I bought my first primers in 10 years about 6 months ago. Big change from the $20/1k Wolf primers I was buying back then. Literally 5x the price over the course of a decade. Powder and Primer manufactures should never again be considered friends of the sportsman. As soon as there is a startup that doesn't railroad people I'm swapping over to them.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    I am proud I began stashing primers back during the Obama Unpleasantness. Got blind lucky that my crew change day coming home from The Great Lake of Texas corresponded with Lafayette Sports receiving their monthly shipment. Even at a 2000 limit per customer (primers and 22 LR), over time I was able to build a good stockage. Everybody thought I was nuts.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Bought a few bricks of Winchester LPP from Academy a couple months ago for 79.99 per. But I’m still using my stash of prepandemic 30.00 CCI srp/lpp. I traded all my CCI spp for lpp in 2022 but thought that i’d get some more. Crazy times.

Boolit Grand Master
    I regret not buying more of the Wolf and Tula primers when they were $16/k.

If we would stop pissing in Russias Cheerios, I bet we would see $35/k primers again. Nothing wrong with those Russian primers.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I regret not buying more of the Wolf and Tula primers when they were $16/k.

If we would stop pissing in Russias Cheerios, I bet we would see $35/k primers again. Nothing wrong with those Russian primers.
    I don’t think Russian Cheerios have much to do with it. Our fearless leaders a bound and determined to choke off anything having to do with our sport. And I’m not buying the ‘raw materials prices are up’ spiel either. How can primers and powder be almost triple the 2019 prices when we’re seeing factory loaded range ammo only 30% higher than before the buying surge?
    A contrived shortage IMO.

Boolit Buddy
    Sold out............

Boolit Master
    Manufactures can sell for 3X more, why increase production or build more plants, using in ammo makes more $ anyway. The only thing high on the list is profit, could care less who gets them. Reloaders are only important if there is a surplus of components.

I have picked up a few here and there but shoot less than I had planned after I retired. Seems most of the younger shooters don't reload, just pass the ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    Manufactures can sell for 3X more, why increase production or build more plants, using in ammo makes more $ anyway. The only thing high on the list is profit, could care less who gets them. Reloaders are only important if there is a surplus of components.

I have picked up a few here and there but shoot less than I had planned after I retired. Seems most of the younger shooters don't reload, just pass the ammo.
    Exactly. The prime objective is making money. Servicing customers is a necessary “evil” to that objective.

And I do not blame them. I have no loyalty to them either. When excellent foreign primers were less than $20/k I bought 10’s of thousands of them.

It does not matter how pissed off we get with either the manufacturers or distributors gouging us, we will buy what we need or stop shooting.

The people who hoarded primers a decade ago are not the problem. They are not buying them now.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I shoot 12,000 rounds a year or more, so there's no such thing as an "Old Primer" on the shelf.

Plus I stay within the National Fire Safety code, just in case something goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    I am proud I began stashing primers back during the Obama Unpleasantness. Got blind lucky that my crew change day coming home from The Great Lake of Texas corresponded with Lafayette Sports receiving their monthly shipment. Even at a 2000 limit per customer (primers and 22 LR), over time I was able to build a good stockage. Everybody thought I was nuts.
    That might be the only thing that Obama did correctly.. He taught me how to buy primers--many and often. When he was in office, primers around here were restricted to 100 at a time. There was a lull when Trump was in office and that's when I resupplied. I'm afraid that the $80 per 1K is the new norm.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Now that primers are becoming more readily available - if still highly overpriced - we have to worry about powder. Alliant has stopped production of canister grade powders for the indefinite future. I expect others to follow. This is due to a shortage of nitrocellulose, which we used to buy from China. They will no longer sell it to the USA or any NATO country. Defense contracts for ammo and explosives to replenish the stuff that has been shipped to Ukraine and Israel have priority right now, and likely will for the foreseeable future. Then will come commercial ammo manufacturers. Reloaders are barely a blip on the radar screen of the powder manufacturers.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

From what I have read, the supply chain of raw materials and the volatile fluctuations in oil prices (thanks a lot Joe) are causing the price increases on nitrocellulose, which is exacerbated by the war in Ukraine and Israel. I don't believe that any nitrocellulose is made in the US but I might be wrong. Since it is made with cotton linters, which are the short fibers of cotton seeds, and nitric and sulfuric acids, the US should be making out own. Maybe then the price of a lb of H4831 wouldnt be $60 out the door at my LGS!
    However, there is research that shows Alfalfa grass fibers makes an even better microcrystalline cellulose with a higher gas content and it was said to be an excellent alternative to guncotton for propellants and it is temperature insensitive. That is from the SCISPACE website, which reports on scientific breakthroughs.
    All this should lead a country like ours to consider NOT depending on other countries for critical components to defend ourselves. But when you get a huge amount of life saving drugs from other countries, I cant expect much else.
    Last edited by murf205; 05-13-2024 at 02:16 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    That might be the only thing that Obama did correctly.. He taught me how to buy primers--many and often. When he was in office, primers around here were restricted to 100 at a time. There was a lull when Trump was in office and that's when I resupplied. I'm afraid that the $80 per 1K is the new norm.
    Seem to remember that Obummer was said to be the top firearms salesman of the century.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    From what I have read, the supply chain of raw materials and the volatile fluctuations in oil prices (thanks a lot Joe) are causing the price increases on nitrocellulose, which is exacerbated by the war in Ukraine and Israel. I don't believe that any nitrocellulose is made in the US but I might be wrong. Since it is made with cotton linters, which are the short fibers of cotton seeds, and nitric and sulfuric acids, the US should be making out own. Maybe then the price of a lb of H4831 wouldnt be $60 out the door at my LGS!
    There is at least one source here in the US, Radford Arsenal in VA. They are strictly a USG provider, I believe.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    There is at least one source here in the US, Radford Arsenal in VA. They are strictly a USG provider, I believe.

That's a relief to know.

Boolit Buddy
    I also bought a lot of primers when obama was on the loose. I still have at least 100k stored in 4 different family locations. Many box's marked either $27 or $32 so I'm set for a while.

Boolit Master
    It's easy to play yesterday's ballgame, woulda, coulda, shoulda. Don't get drawn into that, not healthy for anyone here.

I'm thinking prices won't drop, will continue to hold at best. Startup companies aren't starting up to undercut the major players at least for long, it's to turn a profit after spending huge$$$ to start. Expect more droughts due to supply, labor, accidents and world demands.

We had it really good for a few decades or longer, depending on your take. Locally components were only available thru a dealer and that changed 40 years ago with laws, shipping regs, etc. Bulk ammo became available and that dropped prices further. I'd purchased products 15 years ago that were far under the costs of retail 30 years before then. It was a buyers market.

The world has changed, a dollar is worth between 5 and 10 cents depending on what you buy. Be thankful that we had it good for the years we did. That's something many new shooters haven't experienced and never will most likely. They're paying full boat not knowing what 'the good old days' ever were. So we've new purchaser demographics that are happy to get it, period.

I think it's good to figure on this the being new norm, higher costs, limited product & supply chain issues. Although many may disagree, I pickup less product,only what I hope to use and leave some for the next guy. Shoot lesser quantities, try to pace it better and be thankful for what you have had and now have, it can easily be worse. JMHO.

Boolit Master
    I stocked more primers than I’ll ever shoot, distributed across numerous locations, powder too.
    Of course only for metalic cartridges and now I’m thinking about starting shotgun for which I have no primers.
    So it goes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I stocked more primers than I’ll ever shoot, distributed across numerous locations, powder too.
    Of course only for metalic cartridges and now I’m thinking about starting shotgun for which I have no primers.
    So it goes.
    Do some trading.

I got lucky.

In early 2020, my favorite LGS closed out Remington 5 1/2s, $100 per 5K, no hazmat since they’re local.