Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to correct my trigger technique with handguns?

Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    Squuueeeeeeeezzzz. Don't pull.
    This^^^^^^

I had a similar issue. I got my bad habit by shooting trap for years. In that sport you want your trigger to break right when the sights were correct. I developed a trigger jerk rather than a pull. I also started off shooting heavy magnum handguns and eventually found I could not handle the recoil, hence I started anticipating the recoil.
    Dry firing did NOT help me at all due to the anticipation. There is no recoil to anticipate when dry firing.
    How I managed mine was to shoot bench rest 22 rimfire rifle until I learned proper trigger squeeze, then shot 22 rimfire handguns until I could handle the trigger in the same manner. This took more time and ammunition than I like to remember but it paid off.
    I then worked up with light loads in my handguns until I was able to shoot full power loads in the handguns where I could handle the recoil without pain and stress.
    The most powerful handgun I can manage is a 357 magnum and a full power 1911 in 45 ACP. I limit my handgun shooting to these calibers.
    I still try to start a handgun session with a 22 rimfire to make sure I remember to handle the trigger properly.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all for your advice! I have already started the dry firing an I noticed that when the trigger breaks, the sight moves. So, I started to be more conciencio of that and it definitely improved.
    I like the 22LR practice recomendation. I will do that next time at the range. Low level reloads is also a great advice. I will do that too.
    I appreciate all the advice and support.
    Thank you.
    Camba

Boolit Master

when the dry firing gets boring try a" I target system "it uses a laser with it's bullet then your (smartphone) records your shots so you can see your improvements. not to costly but works okay with most firearms.
    I like it and use it for training
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    There are many, many videos on this very subject on YouTube.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I'm another who uses a DA revolver to 'tune' my trigger pull. I also skip a chamber every now and then to see how I am doing.

For dry fire practice you can use an old trick from the Army field manual. Std pencil with eraser. Put the pencil in the barrel eraser first. Stand so the pencil is about an inch from a target board. When 'fired' the movement of the firing pin will cause the pencil to make a mark on the paper. No, it doesn't solve a flinch, but, it does teach how to move the trigger without moving the gun.