RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to correct my trigger technique with handguns?

Boolit Buddy

How to correct my trigger technique with handguns?

For many years, I have had a problem shooting my handguns. To the point that I adjusted my rear sight to compensate where the rounds were hitting. This happens mainly when I shoot off hand.
    My point of aim is at the center of target; the point of impact is at the 7-8 o’clock 2.5” left and about 2.5” low.
    I have seen in the past a circular diagram that tell what causes that problem. But how can I cure it for goods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Dry fire, Dry fire, Dry fire is the cure for many improper trigger techniques.

Is this shooting 1 handed or 2 handed?

Likely too much finger on the trigger. Try the center of the pad of your trigger finger. Too much finger in the trigger or too little will push the handgun left or right of point of aim as you fire.

Boolit Master

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Dry fire, Dry fire, Dry fire is the cure for many improper trigger techniques.

Is this shooting 1 handed or 2 handed?

Likely too much finger on the trigger. Try the center of the pad of your trigger finger. Too much finger in the trigger or too little will push the handgun left or right of point of aim as you fire.
    I completely agree! Get some snap caps or make you some and dry fire practice. Focus and lots of practice.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master

Low is rolling the wrist or anticipating the recoil. The cure for this is to dry fire. Once you can dry fire and the sights do not move off the target, you have improved your technique.

The trigger ahould be pressed slowly to the rear and the shot should be a "surprise". If you try to "make the gun fire right now" when the sights get on target, you are forcing the shot and pulling or yanking the trigger way too fast/hard which will guarantee you bullet will not hit where you thought you were aiming.

Boolit Master

Squuueeeeeeeezzzz. Don't pull.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy
    Two handed. When one handed, it improves some but not enough.
    I think my arthritis and the lack of practicing (high cost of components) are making it worst for me.
    Thank you for the advice (dry fire). I will be practicing that a lot from now on.
    Thank you.

A Mantis X is an awesome dry fire or even live fire training aid.
    Not that expensive either.

Boolit Grand Master

Dry firing with proper follow through. As stated above the sight alignment shouldn't changes as the hammer falls. The way to tell if you are doing it properly is to compare the actual bullet impact with your shot call during live fire.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Dry firing is a good training aide. Dont do long sessions but shorter sessions every day. You need to be honest with yourself and call your shots. work with it, shooting is a lot of muscle memory and you need to build it right, trying to change a bad technique is much harder. Start slow with single action and move forward. Prove the training every couple weeks with live fire at the range.

With revolvers a good training aid can be wax bullets over just a primer. A heavy sheet hung for a back stop. A primer and wax bullet no powder is needed. In a basement or hallway they can provide good training / practice.

When dry firing or wax loads no live ammo should be allowed in the area. No live ammo any where near. Unload the firearm and go to the practice area, then clean the gun take a break to get out of the dry fire mind and then reload if needed. Be sure of the guns "condition".

Depending on the firearm sometimes different grips, a trigger shoe or grip adapter can also make a big difference in how the gun points and holds. A "relaxed grip holding the gun up and let it do the work. With a slow steady straight back pull on the trigger. A death grip on the handgun and tensed mucles induce shake and trembling, a trigger pull thats crocked angled or fighting the pull twists the handgun. You have a 2 lb handgun with a 4-5 lb trigger pull

I noticed I was shooting left when shooting 2 handed, what it turned out to be for me was the death-grip I was using with my offhand. I corrected my offhand technique, and my POI moved more to the center where it should be. It wasn't a "flinch" but basically my off hand got very tight, very stiff, and was throwing me left.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    What you're looking for is a diagnostic target. Do a search. They can be lh or rh

Boolit Master

When I was practicing for firearms instructor school, I dry fired at least 10 times more than I shot live ammo. The course was a PPC match 5, IIRC, and I also dry fired and utilized dummy round reloads(speedloaders) during practice. It was a lot of work and a lot of fun.

Boolit Bub
    In addition to dry fire (which I encourage), upon return to the range do some "ball and dummy" drills with empty casings randomly interspered with live rounds in the cylinder. Spin the cylinder and close it without detecting the order the dummies come up in the firing order. With a semi-auto randomly load dummies or snap caps in the magazine. Again without noting their placement in the firing order. If you sight alignment/sight picture breaks when the hammer falls on the dummy you'll immediately see what you are doing to cause the low left hits.
    All that is neccessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke

To control your anticipated recoil movement, place a dummy round near the front sight and practice squeezing the trigger until it will no longer fall off. You can use a dime also. You could also put dummy rounds intermittently and watch how your movement is when you squeeze the trigger. Being your offhand, it's mostly muscle memory issues. Don't overdo it as you would possibly pick up a bad habit and get good at it.

There’s a different one that I show my friends….

I found it!

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to do dry fire and it works but seems boring and onerous…at least for me.

If you can afford to spend a little bit of money, an air pistol is a lot of fun. A CO2 .177 will cost less than $.03 a shot and can be used in the yard in many places or in the basement or garage.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Assuming you're right handed. . .

Left = body mechanics. Elbow, wrist, and trigger finger all want to curl left. Lock the arm out and crank the thumb in tight. Adjust trigger finger to pull straight back to the shoulder. CONSTANTLY tell yourself to keep the sights aligned through the trigger - - if the gap on the left side of the front sight starts closing down, something ain't right with the above.

Low = slapping trigger the instant you think your front sight is about to cross the center of the target. . .or anticipation of recoil.

My best solution? Get a DA revolver and forget the single action option even exists. There is no fooling yourself with that system that the sights will ever hold still for you, and it forces a serious cleanup of the basics. Once those lessons get applied to other trigger systems, life gets a lot better.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    When I have trigger issues, I will alternate between the main pistol and a .22LR semi auto. Bad habits that were developing as I shot the larger pistol would linger for a few shots with the .22. When I cleared out the bad habits with the .22, I went back to the larger pistol with the good habits lingering from my time with the .22. That works for me, but I don’t compete and I honestly have no idea how I would do if I did compete. Shooting is my alone time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    When I have trigger issues, I will alternate between the main pistol and a .22LR semi auto. Bad habits that were developing as I shot the larger pistol would linger for a few shots with the .22. When I cleared out the bad habits with the .22, I went back to the larger pistol with the good habits lingering from my time with the .22. That works for me, but I don’t compete and I honestly have no idea how I would do if I did compete. Shooting is my alone time.
    Plus one for "change guns", The open sighted 22LR barrel for my Contender Never...Ever, misses, with a small stash of very old Remingtons I keep aside. When me or the Wife develop a Problem...out comes the Contender 22... been working for Years!!!