MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gunstock inletting grease

Boolit Master

gunstock inletting grease

there is or was an inletting grease for marking the wood when inletting. i have a couple tubes but can't locate it. what is it called and who makes it. i know that i can make my own; but it is upsetting me as to what it is called and who made it. getting old is a bitch! NEVER MIND did a little more research and came up with "prussian blue". ordered some. now i will probably find what i already have.
    Last edited by porthos; 05-11-2024 at 03:08 PM.

Boolit Man
    Brownells used to sell it, would think that they still would. Jarrets in-letting black I think was the name of it. came in a small pot if I remember right.
    Sam

Boolit Grand Master

Lipstick works in a bind and being wax based dosnt stain the wood ( or your hands) as bad

lampblack was one sold buy Fajens way back when -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Prussian blue, Permatex #80038 applied to the metal with a soft toothbrush.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    Looks like nobody offers it any longer - or it's permanently out of stock. Try Kiwi black shoe polish in the round can, or lipstick.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Most of the time I used Jarret's Inletting Black from Brownell's. Once or twice, Prussian Blue. It doesn't matter which you use, because you're sure to get it on your hands, and then your nose will start to itch.

DG

Boolit Master

I bought Jerrows from Brownells in 1977.

https://logcabinshop.com/catalog.php...oduct_id=25991
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Looks like nobody offers it any longer - or it's permanently out of stock. Try Kiwi black shoe polish in the round can, or lipstick.
    I'm assuming your response is to my post for Prussian Blue. I found it at J B TOOLS (157 in stock), AMAZON and numerous other places. AMAZON specifically states that it is NOT discontinued. No big deal, but just in case anyone is interested.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master

Dukem still has it in their 109 scrapping blue they offer it in blue red green I believe.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I built a couple hundred guns using old motor oil, applied with a small brush. Shows up well on walnut, a bit harder to see on maple. Easy clean up with paint or lacquer thinner. With inletting black, I always ended up looking like I had on black face by the end of the day.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Am an old stock maker. An old kerosene lamp or a lit candle works great. Hold your barrel or action over the flame and the lamp black gets applied. The lampblack from the flame is transfered to the wood when pressing the part to the stock. The wood does not have any oil or grease absorbed that would ruin the varnish or oil finish that later gets applied when all sanded and finished wood is ready.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Am an old stock maker. An old kerosene lamp or a lit candle works great. Hold your barrel or action over the flame and the lamp black gets applied. The lampblack from the flame is transfered to the wood when pressing the part to the stock. The wood does not have any oil or grease absorbed that would ruin the varnish or oil finish that later gets applied when all sanded and finished wood is ready.
    After turning myself into a Prussian blue mess a couple of times I switched to kerosene lamp. That worked very well for me. After I started shooting High-power Service rifle I switched to using a calcium carbide sight smoker like this one. https://www.champchoice.com/mc-clean...ht-smoker-cl20

I do most of the rough fitting on a Bridgeport mill so calcium carbide usage is not an issue. If I was doing a tradition stock blank by hand using inletting screws I would use the kerosene lamp.

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Jerrows inletting black is what I've used for 40 years. A little tip, just put a small dab on a sponge you have in a soap dish, pour in a little motor oil. Then use a brush to apply to the metal. You won't be as likely to get it in your eyebrows, ears, etc. then all you have to do is read the black.
    Phil

Boolit Buddy
    Jerrow’s inletting black. I’ve got a Gunsmoke carbide lamp I use for really fine jobs too. It’s harder to buy carbide than it used to be. Either one generally leaves me looking like a mammy singer when I’m working with them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
    Jerrow’s inletting black. I’ve got a Gunsmoke carbide lamp I use for really fine jobs too. It’s harder to buy carbide than it used to be. Either one generally leaves me looking like a mammy singer when I’m working with them.
    https://www.amazon.com/Calcium-Carbi...81&sr=8-1&th=1
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I've gone through a few jars of Jerrows in 50 some years. Quickly found out using a Q-tip to apply the black keeps from getting myself coated with the stuff. Another plus- when the inletting is done, just throw the Q-tip in the trash.

KISS, I just went to a kitchen supply store, 50 years ago, bought an adjustable wick alcohol heat burner and filled it with mineral spirits, it became a metal blackening tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0661.jpeg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    I'm assuming your response is to my post for Prussian Blue. I found it at J B TOOLS (157 in stock), AMAZON and numerous other places. AMAZON specifically states that it is NOT discontinued. No big deal, but just in case anyone is interested.
    No, I should have specified. I was referring to Jerrow's Inletting Black (and Gold). I guess since everyone has gone to plastic or synthetic stocks, nobody has a need for inletting black any longer. I checked several places that advertise it, but it's either out of stock or no longer available.
    Last edited by nicholst55; 05-13-2024 at 02:04 PM.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Smoking the metal with various lamps will indeed work but it is very slow.