RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alloy weight question

Boolit Master
    Ya'll figure these folks just stuffed anything in their rifle and let fly?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creedmoor_Rifle_Range

They exploited the benefits of cast bullets more than we do cuz that's all they had. WE learned from their thoughts and work. I use 70+ year old molds that are as good or better than made today. Of course they were the custom molds of their time. Most of the so-so stuff didn't survive the trip to today.There were hacks then just like there are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Like others have said.....it doesn't matter. And when loading use loads for the published weight the bullet is supposed to cast and don't try and find data for for 232 or 248 grain bullets.
    Or use heavier bullet data & work up. We should always work up loads, but data for 240gr lswc wont work well for a 265gr WNFP.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Oh, I freely admit to indulging my OC side when it comes to alloy. From a practical standpoint, though, what I really want is consistency for the tens of thousands of boolits I cast each year for competition, where, per the rules of the game, I have to meet a minimum threshold of bullet weight times velocity. Using the same alloy composition, whether or not it really is the 95-3-2 I aimed for, gets me the same weight bullet from the same molds so I know using the same powder charge will get me a predictable range of velocities.

That’s what works for my particular application. YMMV.
    Last edited by kevin c; 05-21-2024 at 03:48 AM.

I just had Tom make me a mold. It was published to drop at 117gr using COWW. My mix is SOWW + some Hardball to add in SN. I end up around 1% SN 2.57% SB and 96.4% PB. In the ordering process, you must enter the alloy you will be using to give Tom and idea of what you want. In actuality, my new mold dropped at 119gr. Perfectly fine with me. I don’t think you’ll find a large discrepancy. Also, if you do find a difference, you can drop back on how much SN/SB you are using. I get great fillout with 1% SN. By adding some SOWWs/Pure Lead you can water it down a bit and this will also add some expansion you won’t see with straight Hardball or Lyman 2. All good info above. These are definitely the folks to ask!

Boolit Grand Master
    I always in addition to weight get the boolit mold oversized so I can size them to the diameter I want and need for a particular firearm
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often