Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Close call yesterday

Close call yesterday

Mrs.Thumbcocker and I were eating at a restaurant. She had a flank steak sandwich. I noticed she had stopped talking. I looked over and she was in distress clearly choking. She could not speak or breath and her color was changing. I asked her if she wanted me to Himlich her. She nodded. I got behind her, placed my fists on her diaphragm and pulled hard. A piece of flank steak that was stuck in her trachea was dislodged. She caught her breath and we finished lunch. It could have ended badly. There were fee people in the restaurant and they never looked up. Take a minute to watch this video. You never know when it might be useful.

https://youtu.be/ZVYOEMP5sKo?si=7s_27NfzylPnQ24p

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    Wow...glad she's ok and that you knew enough to remain calm and do what was needed.

Glad you knew what to do, and that everything turned out OK.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

Glad it ended well, could’ve been worse.
    Fibers on flank steak chunks sometimes keep swallowed meat suspended in the trachea while still attached to the meat being chewed, causing the blockage especially among people with narrow air passage.
    Nice you have the knowledge at the right time, sad there was no emphaty from others.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master
    Glad you were at the right place at the right time! I needed to do that a few times due to my wife's swallowing issues. A timely video, thank you.

Be well.

Adam

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow, thumb cocker! What a scare. Sounds like both you & the wife are calm in an emergency situation. Thanks for sharing.

I too am glad she's okay!

Thanks for the link on how to do it, I'm sure we're all familiar with it, but it never hurts to refresh ourselves on such a simple life saving manuver over and over.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Very glad that you had the knowledge and wherewithal to help her. Praise God!
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    WELL DONE SIR! I have also used the Heimlich maneuver successfully, on a co worker( thought I was gonna break her in half at the time) but it worked.

So glad to hear the outcome. Well done !

I had it happen to me some 10 years ago. Sitting at home enjoying a really good steak, cut one piece a little too big, did not chew it quite enough. Suddenly there it was, stuck. I tapped my wife on the arm, was trying to cough it up, but it was not coming. She asked if I was choking, I nodded yes emphatically several times. She yelled, get UP. So I rolled off my reclining couch, got to my feet, was getting tunnel vision as she got set. Gave one yank, not gone but got a little sip of air. Squeaked out "HARDER" she did it again, and voilla, it was gone and I could breath just as the lights were going out.

If you do not know how, get educated!
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

WOW! I'm so glad that Mrs. Thumbcocker is Ok and that all turned our good for you guys. I called Mrs. smoked turkey and we watched the video together. We never know when we might be needed to restore the airway for someone using this simple procedure.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    I too will echo the wonderful fact that she is ok, and that you knew what to do. A simple thing,, yet so important.

And it's scary to witness as well.

Too bad the other folks in there didn't care enough to offer help.

Boolit Master
    Well done, and I’m glad that worked out for you. I’ve had to get a marble out of my 5 yo boy’s throat one day. Quick slap to the back and it came right out. I tell new dads: “You will have to save your child’s life some day.”
    Thanks for that video too. Excellent refresher.

Boolit Master

Awesome job!
    Dang shame nobody else noticed! Even if they had they probably would have just pulled out phones and started filming!!!

I was a teenager, at pizza hut in Cordon IN, eating when a friend started choking. I ask him if he wanted me to do the himlic maneuver, he literally jumped into my lap one good "pull" and he was fine!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    Glad it ended well, could’ve been worse.
    Fibers on flank steak chunks sometimes keep swallowed meat suspended in the trachea while still attached to the meat being chewed, causing the blockage especially among people with narrow air passage.
    Nice you have the knowledge at the right time, sad there was no emphaty from others.
    No empathy, because they are robots looking at their phones.

Boolit Grand Master
    A sad sign of the times we live in, when no one even notices when someone is in distress.
    I can tell she's a tough cookie.
    You both finished your meal.
    I'm sure snowflakes would have called for an ambulance, and the next call would have been to a lawyer.

To be fair, it is a big restaurant, there weren't many people in it at the time, and the whole thing was over pretty quickly. Still....
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Glad it worked out okay for ya.
    First aid is all part of being prepared for what life throws at ya.

Boolit Master
    Good job. It's such a simple technique, everyone should learn it. I had to do it several times when my wife's swallow reflex was damaged after one of her strokes.