Back in April, I started a tread reporting a pleasant surprise while shooting up a bunch of odds and ends that had been hanging around my reloading area. I also stated I would report on the project when I fired the rest of the of the reloads. I was able to get out today shoot and chronograph them and I am still pleasantly surprised by the results.

The short story is that 17.0 grains of my remaining surplus SR 4959, CCI magnum rifle primers, 4 different 6.5 boolits and my M38 Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 work very well together. Unfortunately, I've shot up the primers and the powder is almost gone.

Temperatures were quite a bit warmer today than when I shot last month, and the sun was shining too. I was shooting the scoped M38 with only a front bag at 50 yards. The trigger on this rifle is quite heavy and it does not break consistently.

The first load up was the remaining 5 from the first session with the 157 grain 268 673 boolit. Velocity average was 1638, ES was 25 and the SD was 9 and the group size was an inch.

Next was the 170 grain "cruise missile. " Velocity was 1588 ES was 14 SD was 6 and the group size was .75 inches. This is by far the best group I have ever shot with this boolit and with this rifle. I should also note that this batch was cast very hard.

The Buckshot 6.5 Kurtz weighs 138 grains and velocity was 1777 with an ES of 18 and an SD of 9. The group was 1.5 inches.

The final load, which I neglected to mention in my previous thread, used the Lyman 266 469 Loverin weighing 143 grains. Velocity was 1713 with an ES of 27 and an SD of 11. Groups size was the worst of the day at 1.75 inches.

All of these boolits were sized and checked in a Lee push through sizer and measured .265 plus a bit and are lubed with Lee liquid Alox. Powder charges were thrown, not individually weighed.

This rifle has never been much of a cast boolit shooter and only so-so with jacketed bullets. Maybe I haven't given it enough love! In it I had tried CCI mag primers with starting cast boolit loads using IMR 4198 and 4227 and the heavier 6.5 boolits but the groups were terrible, and the velocity spreads were well over 100 fps. It really surprises me how well it did with the SR 4759. I wish I had a lot more of this powder and a brick of CCI LR MAG primers to further experiment.