RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my cap plate

my cap plate

This is what i use when making caps.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240508_192306_resized_4.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	326417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240508_192638_resized_4.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	326418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240508_193407_resized_4.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	326419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240508_193542_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	326420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240508_195103_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	326421
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

This plate holds all most 150 caps. keeps them in place when you are packing them. Works good. Also the components from skyligthter if any one is interested. You also need good sulfur. The recipe is also included. Mix at your own risk. This mix is the real deal. You can mix the antimoni and sulfur in a shot glass no problem but and thats a big But!!! The potassium has to be crushed up separate and smoothed out no lumps. A sheet of freezer paper and a plastic spoon works good. Then mix every thing together with a plastic spoon very and i mean VERY softly and slowly. Once mixed it is impact sensitive. I wear welding gloves and safety glasses when i mix it and make sure the glass is pointed away from my face. The recipe is measured in gr. on my rcbs powder scale.
    Last edited by lead chucker; 05-09-2024 at 01:39 AM.

I make the caps out of beer and pop cans. Cut the top and bottom off and fold half way on each side then cut in half. You can see them in the picture. Then punch out caps. I get around 26 caps out of one can. Making your own caps is fun and im all in at around $50.00 dollars and can make caps for the rest of my life. They are very reliable.

LAGS has to get credit for a lot of this he gave me advise and i went from there.

Boolit Master
    Thank you friend.
    I am glad that I helped you get pointed in the right direction.
    I love helping others.

Well LAGS it probably won't be the last time i ask you for advise. I'm always eager to listen to and learn from those who have been there done that and figured it out.

Boolit Master
    Funny thing is,
    About 90 % of things that I do or teach others , were things that I figured out how to do them myself.
    Maybe in my life, I have always had too much money and time.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Or not enough toys as a child...
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Nope
    I had to make my own toys.
    I still do.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    That was the general intent to my comment...
    I am afflicted with the same issue.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master

Pretty cool Leadchucker! Makin your own caps. I like shooting percussion 54 cal Sharps, a Colt 58cal musket and an old Tower 1853 Enfield. Might have to get into making caps too if they get any harder to buy. I have bought chemicals from Skylighter. What mix do you like???

I like the H42 recipe. The one thing i do is mix some red dot powder in a shot glass with acetone till dissolved. i use it for the glue to keep the components to stay put in the cups. When the acetone evaporates out they are pretty much ready to use. I pack the cups first then put a drop of the red dot acetone in each cup with an eye dropper. Im sure there is a better way to do it but this system works for me. They seem to stand up to some humidity also. I had some siting in a open cup out in my garage for a couple months and it can get damp in there if i dont have the heater on all the time. I shot up a bunch of them the other day and had a 100 % reliability.

The recipe is on the picture that has the Skylighter bags

Boolit Master
    I just use a few drops of Nail Polish in Acetone for my binder.
    There is a little color in the Acetone but barely not super visible color when dry.
    You don’t want to put too much nail polish in and make it too thick.
    I mention using the nail polish , because it is easily found real cheap.
    I am sure the smokeless powder works well. But if you don’t use it for reloading , why would you have it or buy it.
    I also use Duco Cement mixed in acetone as a binder.
    The only thing is it is clear. So you can’t tell for sure that the acetone has enough Duco in it.
    But staying consistent with a known number of drops per an ounce of acetone works very good because the chemicals that Duco is made from .
    It is combustible when dry.
    Duco can also be found fairly easy and not real expensive.
    Last edited by LAGS; 05-10-2024 at 12:23 AM.

I was going to get some of that duco cement glue but have the gun powder so i figured i would try it. It might give the caps a little bit more punch not sure. I just use a small pinch of powder with the acetone. If i didn't reload i would use nail polish. I have tried the nail polish and it works. I like trying different things. Right now im real happy with using the gun powder.

Boolit Master
    Have you sample lit something with that Powder/Acetone binder dried out on it.
    You can test it and see if that binder with the powder Boosts the ignition of the primer.

I hit one on a pice of steel with a hammer and it fragmented. Went right through my sweat pants and stuck in my leg. Nothing real serious but stung and drew a little blood. I was wearing safety glasses. now when i test them i put on welding gloves and put a piece of card board between me and the cap. Its not contained like it would be by the hammer of your rifle. They have a good pop to them. It will make your ears ring for a minute. Not sure how to test it other than smacking it with a hammer. Never tried to light one.

Boolit Master
    I was only talking about testing how the Acetone /Powder binder burns.
    Just take some of your Binder and paint a little bit in a little strip of paper or a strip of aluminum.
    Let it dry.
    Then light it in fire with a match to test if it burns real clean, or even flashes from having what Tiny bit of powder residue left from the dry binder.
    For example,
    Dryed Duco /acetone burns cleaner than nail polish/ acetone
    Last edited by LAGS; 05-10-2024 at 12:52 PM.

I might have to try that just for fun. When i was having trouble with that crocket rifle with plugged nipples i might have been using caps made with nail polish not sure but the new caps i make now with the gun powder for a binder have worked really good. Im thinking that i might have been using too much nail polish and that was what was causing my problem with plugged nipples. Might not be related dont know. I did get a cheap endoscope and checked the paten breech on that gun and its looks really good. Off topic but that definitely wasn't the problem as far as i can tell. The endo scope was like $12.00 dollars and works with my phone. Its realy cool to see the inside of your barrel.

Boolit Master
    Yep
    A cheap Endoscope is well worth having.
    Especially if you like buying Used Guns.

Another thing you mentioned is right. Using TooMuch nail polish does make it gummy to a point it can plug the nipples.