WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to start making my own shot

Boolit Buddy
    So I never got on the wheel weights bandwagon but I have several tons of pure lead, and a good supply of foundry metal that is 12% tin,26% antimony and 68% lead. Only thing I have with arsenic in it is reclaimed shot but its anyone's guess what that measures. What's the conventional wisdom for making shot i.e. percentages for alloy

Thanks in advance

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Start at post 4. Arsenic Is desirable...

Boolit Mold
    What do you do with the lead tainted water? I would imagine that it would.be considered to be a haz waste. Please don't tell me you just dump it down the sewer.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    What do you do with the lead tainted water? I would imagine that it would.be considered to be a haz waste. Please don't tell me you just dump it down the sewer.
    You should look at permissible levels of heavy metals on municipal sewer discharge permits across the nation.

I use a Big Berkey water filter for my drinking water.

Boolit Master

oops!
    Last edited by jimb16; 05-18-2024 at 08:26 PM.

Boolit Master

I fired up my Littleton today. I started at 10 and finished at 3, with an hour off for lunch! 100# of 7.5 shot made. I used straight COWW alloy and dollar store fabric softener for coolant. Tomorrow, I'll rinse the coolant off then set the shot out to dry. After that, an hour with the vibrating "cleaner" and a little graphite, and I'll be done.
    For those of you who have tried pure lead without success, you need a couple percent of tin to allow the alloy to flow cleanly through the drippers. Pure lead just won't flow well enough to make shot. You don't need antimony or arsenic. While those harden the shot, it just limits deformation of the shot. It is the added tin that helps the alloy flow through the drippers. It flows so well through the drippers of my Littleton that I can't walk away for more than a couple minutes because I have to be constantly feeding the machine!