Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Shipping black powder revolver to upstate NY?

Boolit Master

Shipping black powder revolver to upstate NY?

i have someone interested in a black powder revolver that lives in upstate NY.is it legal for me to ship directly to him? if you are not certain pls dont chime in with fake news. ive looked online and i cant figure it out.

Boolit Master

NO. It is illegal to sell or give a firearm in New York State to ANYONE,it must go through a FFL holder. Even muzzle loaders and air guns! As far as I know, an individual can possess a muzzle loading pistol or a cap & ball revolver WITHOUT it being registered on one's pistol license AS LONG AS you do NOT possess the items needed to load it.
    Last edited by centershot; 05-06-2024 at 07:27 PM.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

If Cabalas and Midway will not ship that product to that location, you have a well-researched answer.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Midway will ship a black powder gun to New York City. But not a modern firearm...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-06-2024 at 08:15 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    if you are not certain pls dont chime in with fake news. ive looked online and i cant figure it out.
    Awww come on!!! You're takin all the fun outta things. You belong to a forum full of know-it-alls with a bunch of creative opinions and it would be down right rude to put us under some kind of "Gag Order".

I'm not holding back. In the normal part of the country, the BATF doesn't consider a black powder percussion weapon as a firearm. Now in New York, it's anyones guess. jd
    Last edited by hoodat; 05-06-2024 at 09:56 PM.
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

I don't know, and I doubt if anyone else does either.
    To be on the safe side, use the services of an FFL.

As the saying goes, "Nuke'em from orbit, it's the only way to know for sure."

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    i have someone interested in a black powder revolver that lives in upstate NY.is it legal for me to ship directly to him? if you are not certain pls dont chime in with fake news. ive looked online and i cant figure it out.
    Fake news, LOL.

If you live in China, it might not be wise to ship a BP revolver to NY state.
    You didn't mention where your homebase is, so it'll be tough to give a answer that isn't fake news.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    As indicated, check the "web sites" regarding their shipping restrictions. There is a 'list' where they won't ship. AND it does provide some insight to follow.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

As a resident of Steuben County in NY let me tell you of my experience in a similar situation. I purchased a .36 cal percussion revolver, perhaps from someone here. I received it via USPS perfectly legally. Being a NYS pistol permit holder, and desiring to fire it, I went to the Co. Clerk to have it added. The Clerk required that I run it by the Sherriff to determine that it was not stolen, no problem. The Clerk also required that I bring a certificate from an FFL. That's where I ran into a problem. Neither of two local FFL's wanted to touch it.
    My advice to the OP is to avoid such a situation by dealing through an FFL. Sorry, but that's the State we live in.
    Regards and good luck.
    Bill
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    As a resident of Steuben County in NY let me tell you of my experience in a similar situation. I purchased a .36 cal percussion revolver, perhaps from someone here. I received it via USPS perfectly legally. Being a NYS pistol permit holder, and desiring to fire it, I went to the Co. Clerk to have it added. The Clerk required that I run it by the Sherriff to determine that it was not stolen, no problem. The Clerk also required that I bring a certificate from an FFL. That's where I ran into a problem. Neither of two local FFL's wanted to touch it.
    My advice to the OP is to avoid such a situation by dealing through an FFL. Sorry, but that's the State we live in.
    Regards and good luck.
    Bill
    Clerk wouldn't know a BP muzzle loader from and AR...... BP pistol isn't a modern firearm. And I've seen nothing prohibiting its ownership in NY. If midway will ship direct..... and none of Mtech links showed a prohibition. But just call a local FFL..... easiest way to truly find out

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Clerk wouldn't know a BP muzzle loader from and AR...... BP pistol isn't a modern firearm. And I've seen nothing prohibiting its ownership in NY. If midway will ship direct..... and none of Mtech links showed a prohibition. But just call a local FFL..... easiest way to truly find out

So you live in Arkansas and can provide legal info to someone in NY? Wonderful. Mr. Yanda is 100% correct. I live in NY and have a number of pistols. You can own one, you just can’t load or shoot it if it’s not on your permit.

Boolit Master
    To all that don't believe. Anything that uses black powder is considered a firearm by NY. Therefore you must use the services of an FFL. How do I know, I'm an FFL in NY.

Boolit Master
    No you can not. Not after the last law changes months ago. Heck airguns are considered firearms if you use them to hunt in NYS. Sorry. In the good old days of last year it was ok. They could not own the componets to shoot the black powder gun or it would need to be a pistol permit in NYS. But they could in the past own it. I had two that are rusted so bad they will never ever move rather yet fire. Wall hangers. NYS wants them on my permit since I have everything needed to make them fire. I had them scrapped.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

what centershot said...there are a couple exception, but no need to go there.