Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Where to start with pure lead for 9mm and .45?

Boolit Mold

Where to start with pure lead for 9mm and .45?

Hello everyone,

I have the Lee 124GR round-nose 9mm mold and the Lee 230GR round-nose .45ACP mold.

I have quite a bit of pure lead which I have tested with pencils to be in the 4-6 BHN.

I like reloading with Titegroup for 9mm and .45ACP

I'm not opposed to powder coating, but will probably start with Alox for now.

What should I add to my pure lead for a starting alloy? Whatever I add I will probably have to buy from Rotometals because I don't have access to linotype or wheel weights, etc, unless I get lucky and find it online. I've heard I should aim for about 10BHN when loading 9mm and .45?

I'm just looking for a starting point on my alloy. I can experiment with dropping in cold water, powder coating, slugging, sizing, later. I'd just like to get some boolits made so I can start somewhere. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Pure lead will be too soft for 9mm & .45 acp. Even if you powder coat them.

You need to alloy them.

If you plan to order from Rotometals,, you can call them & ask them what they suggest in their alloy's that can be added to your pure to harden it.

Or,, do a search around here,,as there's a chart that shows how to blend metals for whatever hardness you seek. (I can't recall where the chart is at the moment.)

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!

Boolit Grand Master

Pure lead , even when powder coated is too soft for loading into a 9mm Luger .
    When you seat the boolit in the case it gets squeezed down and the soft nose deforms on the feed ramps .
    I mix pure lead and COWW 50-50 for a bhn 8-9 and this works if you are careful with boolit seating .
    You are going to need something to alloy with your pure lead for semi-auto use ...
    Call Roto-Metals and talk to tech. , explain what you are loading for and get advice as to most cost effective alloy to mix with your pure lead .
    Pure Lead is a good thing to have ... lots of other alloys out there can be mixed with it for boolit metal .
    The 50-50 mix (pure - COWW) is a great revolver boolit alloy too ... I use it , air cooled , for just about all handgun needs .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    Great thanks for the help I’ll call them and see what they say!

Boolit Master
    RMR Bullets has leftover lead from their jacketed bullet manufacturing for a better price than Rotometals. It's about 10 BHN.

I use it for 10mm and .45 auto all the time. If I had a mold for 9mm I'd use it for that as well.

Issue with pure lead in shallow rifling is getting good stability. Just adding a bit of tin helps, certainly a bit of harder alloy like lino makes a big diff. I shoot a lot of range scrap with very good results. I PC but used to shoot lubed with equal results, just dirtier & in 9mm, more leading.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Pure lead , even when powder coated is too soft for loading into a 9mm Luger
    ^^^^ THIS ^^^^

However in the 45 ACP, it can work well at target velocities:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post5521279
    Cast HOT (800 dgr or so)

BTW: Tin adds very little if any effective hardening.

Just my 2 cents worth, if you care to add your location to your avatar someone local might be able to suggest where they get their metals.

Good luck.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    Adding 5% tin will give you 20/1. A very good pistol alloy. Bhn 10. Good expansion. Been used a long time. Tin is pricey if you can’t make scrounging it work for you. I scrounge pewter. I alloy my own red neck 20/1 with pewter. I’ve cast and shot both 9mm and 40 S&W with my redneck pewter 20/1. My results have been satisfactory.
    Good luck finding a solution to making your pure soft work to suit your 9mm.
    Willie.

One of the reasons Lead/Tin alloys give good expansion is that that they are soft -- even at high (and expensive) tin ratios.
    When actually measured/tested for hardness, 30-1 is ~BHN 5.8, and 20-1 no more than ~7.8.

Making sure that they are sized to properly fit the barrel, they perform exceptionally well and are GREAT for hunting even
    at (what are nowadays) "moderate" velocities.

(But 30-35,000 psi 9mm is a bridge too far for such soft alloys -- Lyman #2 is your best bet)
    Last edited by mehavey; 05-21-2024 at 06:39 AM.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez "Range Lead " verks Just Fine for plinking with common Auto Pistol calibers.
    Bet the PC innovation makes it even better? ??

Boolit Master

Plenty of alloys will get you there. Keeping the cost down will depend on what is available to you. Tin is king but expensive. Adding 20% linotype and 2% tin will also get you there.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    Adding 5% tin will give you 20/1. A very good pistol alloy. Bhn 10. Good expansion. Been used a long time. Tin is pricey if you can’t make scrounging it work for you. I scrounge pewter. I alloy my own red neck 20/1 with pewter. I’ve cast and shot both 9mm and 40 S&W with my redneck pewter 20/1. My results have been satisfactoryWillie.
    Well close

4.76 percent tin gives you 20-1

Boolit Buddy
    Just measured out this coming weekend's melt- 304 pounds of pure lead and 96 pounds of Foundry metal. Should come in at BH 15.2 according to the calculators. Just a little softer than hardball and a little harder than lyman 2.

Boolit Buddy
    QUOTE=Shanghai Jack;5729326]Well close

4.76 percent tin gives you 20-1[/QUOTE]

Close enough for my 9mm and 40S&W. Lots on here seem to get wrapped around the axle over insignificant minutia. I suggested what I do to pure soft that works well in my 9mm, which is what the OP wanted to hear about. Maybe you should suggest the OP alloy 4.76% tin with his soft lead if that is what you do, If you think it will work better in his 9mm than the 5% pewter I alloy and cast for my 9mm? Most of us scrounge our casting material. Tin content using scrounged pewter is a SWAG. It is not pure tin. I shared how I use it to alloy what I referred to as “redneck 20:1”. Enlighten me. How do you get content accuracy of a hundredth of a percentage point alloying 20:1 using pewter with an unknown exact tin content, since you saw fit to correct how I alloy it.

Having something to say and having to say something are two different things.
    Willie T

70/30 lead/linotype.