Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Renegade weight

Post #19 I talked about my 80gr load that shot really good with my 54 i beleve its a 1/60 twist. I would not hezitate using that for deer hunting. I take it up to 100 gr and it isnt as good. So back to the 58 i think you need to match the twist to the caliber with a load that you are comfortable shooting concidering recoil tolerability. If im shooting max loads do i need max twist rate or does it even matter? I think this matters wen it comes to having a barrel re rifled for your specific needs.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    I am going to have to work on loads for my .61 slow twist bore.
    I have only shot loads out to 50 yards to set the sights just using up to 80 gr.
    I had this barrel bored and slow rifled for hunting , but that doesn't look like I will be doing that anytime soon.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    Post #19 I talked about my 80gr load that shot really good with my 54 i beleve its a 1/60 twist. I would not hezitate using that for deer hunting. I take it up to 100 gr and it isnt as good. So back to the 58 i think you need to match the twist to the caliber with a load that you are comfortable shooting concidering recoil tolerability. If im shooting max loads do i need max twist rate or does it even matter? I think this matters wen it comes to having a barrel re rifled for your specific needs.
    two things
    did you inspect patches for your 100grain load ? I've never been able to shoot good groups with a load that is mangling patches - other blokes tell me they can - I try really hard to believe them but usually fail the attempt
    second
    the harder you load the less twist you need not more - unless I misunderstand wht you mean by "max twist rate" (thats across the board smokeless / jacketed the works)

Sent off my 50 renegade to Hoyte today to be made into a 58. I was able to get him on the phone the other day and his opinion was a 1/66 twist with the load i wanted and the 27 inch barrel. He also said it would shoot mini balls good too. I didn't want to have to shoot 120 gr loads. So the way i understand it is a little lighter load with a little faster twist should give you the right rpm. So you would have to have a slower twist you would need to have a heavier load to achieve the same rpm. Im sure im over thinking this so im going to leave it up Hoyte to do his magic. He knows what i want and he is the expert.

i ordered a lee .562 ball mold for the 58, i was looking for a .570 but couldn't find one. I have read a few posts on the 58 and a lot of guys seem to like the .562 so its on the way. I have some .025 and .020 patch material to try once i get the barrel back. Im sure it will be at least a month or so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    Sent off my 50 renegade to Hoyte today to be made into a 58. I was able to get him on the phone the other day and his opinion was a 1/66 twist with the load i wanted and the 27 inch barrel. He also said it would shoot mini balls good too. I didn't want to have to shoot 120 gr loads. So the way i understand it is a little lighter load with a little faster twist should give you the right rpm. So you would have to have a slower twist you would need to have a heavier load to achieve the same rpm. Im sure im over thinking this so im going to leave it up Hoyte to do his magic. He knows what i want and he is the expert.
    Quiz him on the minie ball idea - what style / brand mold he recommends for that

We have had useless results with shallow rifled slow twist 58 barrels and minies (72" twist) useless = go home disgusted and sell the gun type results !!! - swap it for a 48" twist and life gets easy.

I have been chastised here for my opinion on this by re enactor types that tell they can shoot a blowfly dead centre at a mile with these barrels but they seem more interested in looking down on fools than elaborating on how to load and exactly what to use. Its not just me - this is a common enough issue with these slow twist replicas . Maybe Bob Hoyt has the nswer?

We did it ok with 66" twist CVA barrels years ago but had to keep a stomping heavy load in them and it stopped bein fun past 50 cal

Boolit Master
    I have had plenty of people tell me that their Slow Twist barrels shot Slugs really Great.
    But funny thing was,
    It was only the rifles they were trying to sell.
    But they weren’t selling any with faster twist rates like 1:48 if you were looking for a rifle to shoot slugs.
    I wonder why ?

Hoyte told me the minie ball has to be short. Long ones won't work. If i remember correctly he said Civil War hollow base minie's. This barrel will be 1-60 to 1/66 whatever he feels is best.

Boolit Master
    I can agree with Mr Hoyt
    The minies are short and hollow based.
    But most hunters want a longer and solid base slug for hunting big game.
    Those slugs would need a faster twist rate.